Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless (laptop And Router Talking) But Not Connecting To The Internet

This is a discussion on Wireless (laptop And Router Talking) But Not Connecting To The Internet within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, go sky Mid broadband activated Wednesday, but having problems connecting wireless. Before I tell you the issue, below is ...

frosty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Wireless (laptop And Router Talking) But Not Connecting To The Internet

Hello,

go sky Mid broadband activated Wednesday, but having problems connecting wireless. Before I tell you the issue, below is the equipment i'm using.
      Dell Laptop Inspiron 2650 (which won't really matter)
      Windows XP
      external wireless card "dlink AirPlus DWL-G650"
      Sky "netgear" Wireless Router

Basically Via the wireless I can connected to the internet. When i'm wired up, not a problem.

I have tried all the this with encryption and so I can get conected to the internet i have disabled security. My Laptop and router are talking and I gat the symbol showing that thelaptop is connected to the sky router. I hace changed all the chanels and both the encryption on the laptop and the router match up, but as soon as i pull the network cable out the side and then try and connected via the wireless to the interent, it come up page cannot be displayed.

changed wpa to wep
      disabled both
      I have given the wireless a static IP subnet mask and gateway

anyone please help!!!!,

Thanks in advanced

2. Advertisement
      frosty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless (laptop And Router Talking) But Not Connecting To The Internet

me again,

I might have give you some misleading info,

I have just taken the network cable out and tried connecting to the sky wireless box - via the dlink wirless card, but it doesn't connect. I know the dlink card works as i have used it with my old orange broadband.

simes2003 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: broadwell
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

i have got exactly the same problem and have tried all that you have to get it working.

I spent 1hr15mins on phone to Skybbcs yesterday convincing them that there is something wrong with the wireless router, they got me to try all that you have said and more, and did at one point say that it was my laptop and wireless adaptor, but when i demanded to speak to the supervisor and told him that i could connect to my neighbours wireless router who lives over the road and surf the net from my laptop in my front room he had no real argument that my equipment was faulty.
      Eventually they have agreed to send me a new wireless router.
      I am 100% positive this will solve my problem

Simes

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

These steps may not help right now but are useful basics in wireless troubleshooting.

Preferably let your wireless adapter's utilities manage the connection (rather than Windows). Turn off the Windows firewall temporarily.

Scan for any neighbouring wireless networks and make sure you are at least three channels away from them (I use Netstumbler which also displays noise/interference).

Turn off or relocate: cordless phone and base, mobile/cellphone, video senders etc.

In the router wireless settings make sure that g & b are selected (not just g or auto). Check that the router is set to broadcast SSID name and change it -- because a neighbour may have SkyBB, also on factory settings (which will confuse you). Disable all encryption temporarily. Log out of the router and turn it off for a minute, then on again.

robinhood is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have had these issues before with assigning static IP address. I assign the static IP address and default gateway, that means, I can ping the router but the internet connection does not work. I found out that you have to sometimes assign the router IP address as the DNS server address too.

So, basically, if you try to ping your router from the command prompt, and Internet browser does not work, try checking the DNS entries and assign the router IP address as the DNS server. Or other option is put your Network connection ( the wireless one) to DCHP. Usually in DHCP, the DNS is automatically assigned.

When you say your router is talking to the network card, I am assuming that the ping is working..

In the sky router management page, do you see your wireless connection in the attached devices tab ?
      Last edited by robinhood; 19-03-07 at 07:52 AM.