Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

CHAP authentication failed - no internet connection?

This is a discussion on CHAP authentication failed - no internet connection? within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have just changed from BT wireless broadband with 2 computers connected via the voyager PCI cards to the sky ...

BeMyFriend is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

CHAP authentication failed - no internet connection?

I have just changed from BT wireless broadband with 2 computers connected via the voyager PCI cards to the sky max package

The wireless network cards pick up the new router and i have set up the MAC code. I have logged into the router and had a look at the settings, following many of the posts on this forum regarding temporarily disabling security and switching off the upnp etc but i still cannot get a connection to the internet.

When checking the connecting in the router webpage it trys to connect and then gives a CHAP authentication failure

I also do not get a connection at the end of the sky installing disk, where it checks if you have one. I just have to exit at that point.

I have tried connecting via ethernet, but same problem

One thing i did notice is that i dont get any IP information in the ADSL part of the router set up page, not sure if this is significant, excuse my ignorance of these things

I have spoken to tier 1 support and they got me to do the sky test - which passed. They then gave me a ticket for tier 3, which havn't been in touch yet.

All the correct lights are on in the router, and i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the pci cards and sky disk information, i have also reset the router to defaults. I am definately connected to the sky network, and my line has definately been activated. I have disabled all security both PC and router based during my diagnostic

I though that maybe if has something to do with IE, or maybe a setting left over from the old wireless network causing problems, but i have no idea what that might be

Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Parappa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: CHAP authentication failed - no internet connection?

Happened to me a few weeks ago ;_;

You just need a new router.

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You just need a new router.
      Thats not necessarily the case. Parappa, you may be jumping the gun a bit here, it could be a few things. When CHAP fails the first place to look is the RADIUS server logs, something tier 2/3 will probably do. In any event its a case of waiting for Sky to investigate.

If the CHAP authentication with the RADIUS fails, then you will not be Authenticated and as a consequence not Authorised either and thus the RADIUS will instruct the NAS to not hand out an IP Address. This could be caused by a simple admin error in which your account got disabled.
      Last edited by armitasp; 26-03-07 at 11:23 PM.

Parappa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The only reason why I said that was because my internet was down for like a month for no reason while all it needed was a new router >_<

LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well I just got back from a SKY BB customers house, who was having this same problem. All relevant lights on. Router stats looked fine, with a good downstream/upstream figure. But no IP address or DNS server addresses. Been like this for a week, passed tone test etc.

I unplugged the RJ11 cable from the router, reversed it so router end into filter and vice versa, restarted router and hey presto, internet access!
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.