Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

wireless keeps disconnecting

This is a discussion on wireless keeps disconnecting within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hi! ive had my broadband going for over a month now and every so often my internet just "disconnects". to ...

oth
      oth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

wireless keeps disconnecting

hi! ive had my broadband going for over a month now and every so often my internet just "disconnects". to somewhat fix this problem i bought a new adapter, netgear rangemax wpn111, to replace my old belkin, however it still disconnects (although it is less frequent _)

any suggestions?

thank you

2. Advertisement
      kevlong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: wireless keeps disconnecting

So I think that the question is whether it is the wireless connection thats the problem or the broadband connection?

Try connecting your machine to the router using an ethernet cable to see if the disconnection still happens and take a look at the router stats to get an idea of the quality of the broadband connection.

Kevlong

armitasp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Loughborough
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Could be a number of things, but usually it comes down to Windows. First thing I would suggest is update your drivers for your wireless card. Get the latest ones off you manufacturers website and have a look at the caveat list. Next I'd install the microsoft WPA2 patch which fixes lots of supplicant bugs: The Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2)/Wireless Provisioning Services Information Element (WPS IE) update for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 is available

Finally it could be interference. Download netstumbler and check if another WLANs are operating on a similar frequency. Remember only channels 1, 6, and 11 don't overlap.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Have you tried turning off UPnP in the router -- lots of people find that solves disconnection problems.

oth
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevlong View Post
      So I think that the question is whether it is the wireless connection thats the problem or the broadband connection?

Try connecting your machine to the router using an ethernet cable to see if the disconnection still happens and take a look at the router stats to get an idea of the quality of the broadband connection.

Kevlong
      i dont think it's a problem with the broadband connection because i've had orange wireless broadband 3 years prior to getting sky...

oth
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      Have you tried turning off UPnP in the router -- lots of people find that solves disconnection problems.
      how do i do that?

oth
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by armitasp View Post
      Could be a number of things, but usually it comes down to Windows. First thing I would suggest is update your drivers for your wireless card. Get the latest ones off you manufacturers website and have a look at the caveat list. Next I'd install the microsoft WPA2 patch which fixes lots of supplicant bugs: The Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2)/Wireless Provisioning Services Information Element (WPS IE) update for Windows XP with Service Pack 2 is available

Finally it could be interference. Download netstumbler and check if another WLANs are operating on a similar frequency. Remember only channels 1, 6, and 11 don't overlap.
      thanks i'll try that!

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

To turn off UPnP you have to access the router from Internet Explorer (preferably via an ethernet cable).

Type 192.168.0.1 in the browser's address bar and you should see a sign-in box.

Type the user name which is admin and the password which is sky.

Having switched off UPnP, log out of the router. Turn the router off for a minute and then back on, restart Windows.

oth
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fihart View Post
      To turn off UPnP you have to access the router from Internet Explorer (preferably via an ethernet cable).

Type 192.168.0.1 in the browser's address bar and you should see a sign-in box.

Type the user name which is admin and the password which is sky.

Having switched off UPnP, log out of the router. Turn the router off for a minute and then back on, restart Windows.
      hey! i've done that! no problems as of yet

tommy2910 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 849
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: wireless keeps disconnecting

Wireless router is Netgear DG834GT V1.02.28, I have unchecked UPnP so that it is switched off and restarted both router & windows.

Mode is g&b, channel 6, Security option is WPA-PSK & i have the network key.

I have changed all the settings as per previous posts on this forum and I am still getting issues around the wireless network dropping connection every few minutes, I can reconnect (not all the time) but it only lasts for a matter of seconds.

I can connect using the ethernet connection, no problem at all. Only issue is with the Wireless connection.

Any Ideas will be gratefully received

Thanks
      Tommy2910

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast