Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Broadband

This is a discussion on Wireless Broadband within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys, im new here came to get some advice before i switch to Sky Broadband We want to get ...

dups45 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Broadband

Hi guys, im new here came to get some advice before i switch to Sky Broadband

We want to get the TV, Phone and Broadband package

My computer is upstairs, we have a laptop with a wireless card in it. And the only phone line is downstairs in the house.

Will i be able to connect my computer without having the router next to it, and if so, how do i do this, Sky said if we didnt have the correct equitment, then they would supply us with this, how much is this going to cost?

Thats the only problem we have at the moment, apart from cancelling the other services we have with different providers

Thanks for your help

2. Advertisement
      lee2007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Broadband

you could put a wireless card in the pc upstairs and have them both wireless, but personaly i would not do this, wireless is fine for a laptop but id reccomend the main pc was wired. You could buy a long lan cable (quite cheap) and run it to the pc upstairs, this will give you the best conection quality. Once you start installing phone extensions you could end up loosing bandwith.

If you only got a laptop, then the router dose not need to be exactly next to it, but depending on you house layout you could have trouble getting a wireless signal to your laptop once you start moving big distances.

fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

What you gain in convenience you may lose in speed when using wireless. Also wireless reception may not be great within the average house due to construction materials and interference from other devices.

The wireless adapter card you have is probably fine to connect to Sky's wireless router. Some people have trouble sorting out encryption, particularly with older cards built to 11B standards (the 11G type WPA encryption Sky use by default then has to be changed to WEP encryption in the router).

If that sounds scary there are people on the skyuser forums who will try to help (probably better than Sky's customer support staff).

Alternatively, buy the USB adapter that Sky offer for 23 inc p&p.

dups45 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well at the moment, i have a wire running from my phone line downstairs to the computer upstairs, i do not want any wires running from the router to the computer, thats why i want to get this. Im not too fussed if i loose some of the quality. It will still be better than what i have now, Wanadoo constantly disconnects. It claims that its running at 6.6mpbs, but it was running faster than this before the line got upgraded!

Does anyone have a link for the USB thingy i can get from sky?