Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless problems

This is a discussion on Wireless problems within the Wireless / Adapters forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; My first message so hope I got it right... joined Sky last October having been cable for over 10 years ...

Deb
      Deb is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless problems

My first message so hope I got it right... joined Sky last October having been cable for over 10 years and its been the worst thing I have ever done..
      was ripped off big time by the guys that came to set it all up finally got my money back a couple of months later...

Sky broadband finally installed end November you can imagine the hell teenage daughter no MSN and teenage son no xbox 360 for months anyway on and running but can't connect wirelessly to my daughters laptop, we have tried everything taken off the wep and wap and all sorts, if we enable the wap or the wep we lose the xbox we have been reading the posts and trying everything, my son managed to get some sort of connection to the laptop last night but it cuts out so much and is so slow not worth the effort.. it tells us not connected when it is and connected when its not...on reading some of the other issues can confirm the only thing we haven't tried is changing the channel currently on 11 and noticed that someone mentioned turning off the upnp I just don't want to lose the xbox connection and noticed yesterday someone was concerned that they wouldn't be able to connect their xbox, any help would be greatly appreciated...

2. Advertisement
      fihart is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0207
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless problems

I'd start by temporarily disabling encryption in the Sky router until you have everything working. Try and get the PC connection working before worrying about the XBox.

Certainly turn off UPnP because it has a bug.

Using the utility supplied with your wireless adapter (don't use Windows Zero Config to manage the connection) do what most call a site survey and see if there are any neighbouring wireless networks that may interfere. If a neighbour is on channel 8 (for example) it may affect channel 11. Move to channel 4 or 3.

Also, until your link is working, turn off or relocate any of the following: mobile phones, cordless phones, video sender, wireless doorbell.

Deb
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

thanks will give this a try, we do pick up a BT hub when looking at the network connection on the laptop, I will get everything moved and let you know how I get on thanks again

Deb
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi right we finally got rid of upnp but still no connection well we had a good search through and even when connected it states not connected, by the way we are on channel 6 and not 11 as I first thought so we left that for the time being, although I am picking up someones BT hub not sure what channel they are on. just flying around in the dark and this is ridiculous my 14 year old son is a right "techy" and I have a degree relevent to this area ok graduated in 1999 when a lot of people didn't even know what email was, and thought wireless was a dodgy old radio but still how embarrassing and how does anyone cope that really has no idea...

anyway back to flying around in the dark, the laptop is a vaio with an intel pro network card but when I checked it seemed to be connecting (for want of a better word) via 1394 net adaptor and the intel stays on not connected could this be one of the problems?? my son also pointed out the laptop has a different mac address and I think a different IP address although got so fed up searching almost chucked the thing out of the window and yes we have that stupid little fear if we touch anything we may just wreck the lot...

We are on a mission to beat this its war now I refuse to give in.... help please...

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Don't worry about MAC ids, they're integral to the network components and each has a different MAC (it's terribly confusing that the name MAC is used not only by Apple but for the authorisation code used at the telephone exchange and also for this code indentifying network equipment).

Does your Vaio has a network socket ? -- it would match the yellow ethernet cable in the Sky carton and the sockets on the router. If so, this would give a reliable connection to the router and (if the router and BT line connection are working) reliable access to the internet.

It is possible to set up a wireless network "wirelessly" but it takes some understanding. It is a lot easier if you have a wired link into the router by ethernet cable.

If your computer doesn't have a network socket, you can add one on a PCMCIA card (fits that credit card sized slot on the side of the computer).

This may seem an extra expense but long term you'll find that it will also give you consistently higher speeds than the wireless.

Deb
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes we have been able to connect via cable, it just means that the daughter can't clear off with her laptop unless I wire up the house and I won't do that, its just a pain as we never had any problems with Telewest like this, ok they were more expensive but I had the service I reqd and paid for...its just frustrating but at least I win the bet with my son on the Mac thing...

thanks again for all your help...

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Sorry, my reply was ambiguous. What I meant was that it is much simpler to set up wireless if you already have a wired connection. Hopefully, with a little more tinkering you will get the wireless working.

Deb
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

no thanks for your help anyway I understand what your saying and I know thats its gonna be something totally stupid thats cutting the connection I will let you know when its resolved as I said before we are on a mission...

Deb
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi
      its been a while since I was last on March actually when I was trying to get my daughters laptop to connect wirelessly... no need to explain as above posts

We solved the problem on Wednesday yep its taken all this time... well on and off prob more off cos I got fed up listening to the sound of waiting and as I had made numerous calls to Sky with no help at all but the final call suggested I ring the manufacturer of the laptop Vaio

Wednesday ring vaio straight through no hanging around 2 minutes max and the problem was solved...

We had to ping the computers yep we had already done that but when we entered the network key we didn't know it was case sensitive ha ha the guy at vaio told us...

that never occurred to us or anyone we spoke to .... lol

anyway said I would come back and let you know when I got it solved so here I am ....