Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

The Inquirer on Sky part Deux

This is a discussion on The Inquirer on Sky part Deux within the Website news forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; The Inquirer has posted an update on their Sky experience to date : Lets see how it's getting on By ...

Ozymandias is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link WDR3600
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The Inquirer on Sky part Deux

The Inquirer has posted an update on their Sky experience to date :

Lets see how it's getting on

By Dean Pullen: Friday 03 November 2006, 18:00

WE'VE BEEN trialling the new Sky broadband service at this hack's home for sometime now, and wrote a preliminary review of the service here.

Unfortunately since the article was published the service has been unstable, requires frequent router reboots and is prone to serious downtime.

At least some of the problems with erratic behaviour on one of the worst days was explained by a 6 million burglary on Easynet offices, which certainly didn't help existing matters with the service.

These problems came to a head last Monday when our service went down completely. After waiting 24 hours for the service to resume, Sky support was called. After the usual talking-through of restarting the PC and rebooting the router (all of which was done prior to the call), the support agent stated that she would put us through to 'tier-3' support.

A two hour wait commenced. Within that time this hack managed to shave, shower, cook and eat dinner, whilst also consuming three glasses of wine from a cheap bottle of Cote du Rhone. At this point we gave up, and rang again.

The next agent stated that we shouldn't have been put on a transfer to tier 3, and that this level of support was meant to call us back at their convenience.

'Their convenience' means within a staggering five days. Quickly browsing through forums such as Adslguide and Skyuser suggested we'd be lucky getting a call at all, as many customers hadn't ever received their calls from either tier 2 or tier 3 support.

At this point we chose to give up, and had to resort to banding the good INQ name to Sky's PR department to ensure they finally got they're act together.

Several calls from PR and a chap from tier 3 identified the problem as having occurred at the exchange. BT had somehow reverted the cabling back to itspre -Sky-LLU status, for no clear reason. Fortunately BT were called and stated that they'd fix the service on the Saturday. Only 5 days downtime then.

Come Saturday morning the router was periodically rebooted to see if any updates from the exchange had filtered through. But nothing had changed, and nothing did all weekend. The Sky engineer failed to call as promised.

Monday was devoid of any calls from Sky's technical support department and a promised follow-up call from their customer service rep also failed to materialise.

Finally come Tuesday afternoon, out of the blue, BT phoned and said they'd corrected the fault. Suddenly Sky tech support and customer services were back on the phone celebrating that the service had only been down for a week.

Obviously it's hard to point the finger of blame in this situation. But we can certainly conclude that Sky's level of service and support for the new Sky Broadband range is below a satisfactory level.

A five-day call back period by a technical support engineer of a trained level actually able to assist you, at their earliest convenience, is not good enough.

Promised calls from customer-focused departments that are never made and a general malaise regarding support for customers with serious downtime, does not bode well for the new broadband entrant's intended push into 8 million Sky customers homes.

Sky, you must try harder.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35530
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 05-11-06 at 03:08 AM.

2. Advertisement
      SatDish is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Gravesend, NDGRA
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XXL 152
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Yes
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      very well written article, yes the level of support is poor but they are in a middle of a recruitment drive for Tier 3 staff and other departments,
      so hopefully in a month or so when these guys/girls are up to speed the 5 day wait will be a thing of the past, but Sky should have been prepared right from the launch, so there is no excuse really.

Glenn
      "To help would be a great adventure"
      Listen to the all new 24hr SkyUser Radio http://www.skyuserradio.co.uk/

Come join us for a game @ TeamSkyUser

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Thats a fair synopsis of what happened imho, I know Dean has been a bit peeved over this, and I also know the logistics of trying to get Support to call you.

Perhaps Dean, if you could use your clout and send them an email, asking if they could sign me up, because I am sick of ringing / emailing them.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 04-11-06 at 11:13 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      I'm sure I will not be the only one who is quite happy to see such a review written. Sky has massively under estimated how popular their broadband service would be and have not helped themselves by continuing their recruitment drive instead of sorting out the many outstanding issues that is around the network and that includes more support staff and better communication with their customers.

Bill is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Highway CMHIGW
      Broadband ISP: Finally...on Max !
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      5 days. mmm.

We were without any Broadband at all for 50 days.

We never once had a call back from Tier 3.

We had a couple of calls from Customer Services, but only to tell us that there was no news.

The only useful information we ever got was from this forum, until I lodged a written complaint.

We've been connected for 3 days now, and that's great, but neither Sky TS nor Sky CS have called us to tell us that...we only found out 'cos we switched our router on just for the hell of it. I'm sure NewsreadeR would have let us know, but the fact that Sky themselves don't seem to know that our Tier 3 call has (presumably) been closed is a bit farcical.

And 50 days is by no means the worst case... bob at my exchange has been waiting 10 weeks, and the poor buggers in Paisley seem to be in a right mess as well.

I could go on, but my experience is documented elsewhere on this forum :

Hands up if you have 'cabling problems'

...the one above in particular got a lot of responses from people with similar experiences

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/showt...6195#post26195
      Last edited by Bill; 04-11-06 at 11:38 PM.

Cyrus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Streetly - CMSTRE
      Broadband ISP: Max, 15.3MB Downstream! B E A Utiful
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      You can get hold of Tier 3, but you have to call them at 4AM in the morning. As they have to wait for 'normal' office hours to talk to BT Wholesale you then have to call them back the next day at 4AM.

One thing is definitive; they never every call back with an update though, it's been sugested to me that they don't have the ability to make out-going calls! Incoming only & that little gem came from a Manager in Sky Customer Relations.

A load of cobblers I'm sure!
      "If you are planning for a year, sow rice;
      if you are planning for a decade, plant trees;
      if you are planning for a lifetime, educate people."

Phil is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Orpington
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I guess I was lucky - only down for 14 days. Never contacted by tier 3.