Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Broadband on The Inquirer

This is a discussion on Sky Broadband on The Inquirer within the Website news forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Sky broadband brings ADSL2+ to the masses First INQpressions Cheap as re-runs By Dean Pullen: Tuesday 10 October 2006, 15:55 ...

Ozymandias is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited BT Infinity 2
      Router: TP-Link WDR3600
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Sky Broadband on The Inquirer

Sky broadband brings ADSL2+ to the masses

First INQpressions Cheap as re-runs

By Dean Pullen: Tuesday 10 October 2006, 15:55

SKY LAUNCHED THE marketing of Sky broadband sometime ago as reported by the INQ upon the formal launch of the full product range.
      There's a number of product offerings:

Base: 2mb/s, 2gb cap, free monthly rental, 40 activation
      Mid: 8mb/s, 40gb cap, 5 monthly rental, 20 activation
      Connect: 8mb/s, 40gb cap, 17 monthly rental, 40 activation
      Max: 16mb/s, unlimited cap (with AUP), 10 monthly rental, free activation
      The most interesting product is the LLU-based ADSL2+ offering called 'Max', which the INQUIRER has been trialing at this hack's home for the last few weeks.
      Several days after signing up to Sky via telephone (the only way currently) with a recently acquired MAC address from my previous supplier, the free Sky ADSL wireless broadband router arrived. Sleekly packaged, and with a very intuitively presented installation program on the accompanying CD, the Sky-branded Netgear DG834GT 108MB/s 'super wireless' router was well received.

The connection became active about a week later, with minimal downtime and no fuss. The installation CD took care of setting up the router and connection, and I was immediately working happilyonline. However, when it came to port forwarding a few ports on the router, I quickly became stuck.

Nowhere in the documentation could I find the password for the router's admin application. A quick look on the net found the answer: admin/sky. I'm not sure why Sky aren't making this information easily accessible, because port forwarding is a necessary routine task for many users wishing to do more than a bit of web surfing with their internet connection.

The usual Netgear interface is used within the router, which uses a customised Sky firmware. Interestingly, no login details are necessary - the service seems to be authenticated via the device's pre-configured username and password, and you'll need to clone this if you wish to use your own router (see here) - something Sky's T&C's aren't too fond of. You'll also find the Telnet connection to the device has also been disabled.

The service was immediately operating faster than the MaxDSL product previously on the line, at around 8.5MB/s (up from 5.5MB/s), but after several weeks, speeds of up to 14MB/s have been consistently seen. For a good example of the real world application of this kind of speed, the Vista RC2 DVD with 4gb+ of data took under 15 minutes to download (the MS site didn't quite max the connection out). Obviously speeds are dependent on your line quality and distance from the exchange.

The connection had been liable to consistent disconnection, but seems a bit more stable in the last couple of weeks. Looking at online forums this seems to be a problem with a lot of users, and Sky were quick to announce they've been working on fixing any remaining technical glitches.

The Sky router is pre-setup with Wifi WPA-PSK encryption straight out of the box, and the Sky package comes with a small card with the SSID details and WPA key for you to immediately use with any Wifi device you wish to connect. A nice touch.

Overall we're pretty satisfied with the service. Its early days for Sky's broadband offering, and once the connection problems are sorted out, it certainly looks incredible value for money. Near 16MB/s speeds for a tenner a month can't be sniffed at. Sky just need to be a little more open with their policy on third party routers - not all of us want to be stuck with one specific device.

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34980

"Overall we're pretty satisfied with the service"
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 10-10-06 at 05:58 PM.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      I have rang The Inquirer and we have been given permission to add the quoted article.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

PeteBest is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Basingstoke
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I've just sent the author an email about my feedback on the Sky Broadband service, let's just say I'm nowhere near as impressed as the author was

Hopefully they'll have a quick look at the amount of people in the unhappiness section that are having problems with the woeful service provided by Sky and publish a story about that

Christopher is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sacriston
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      yeah it seems like the guys over there had a nice time compared to the masses,

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      It is a pity there didn't state that while they are pretty happy with the overall experience from Sky quite a few people are not. While that is just one persons view I would have made for a better balanced article if they would have linked to this and other sites so people can see for themselves.

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by PeteBest View Post
      I've just sent the author an email about my feedback on the Sky Broadband service, let's just say I'm nowhere near as impressed as the author was
      I'm very suprised they based an article on one test, as you say and plenty of others - this is not a majority experience.

I think they wil end up with egg on their faces printing this report as it seems likely that watchdog may get involved due to the numbers of complaints.

As such i'm suprised the site owners have given this report such weight as it could wrongly influence customers into taking a decision to move isp only to find themselves with a possibility of having no access for weeks.

This person probably did as i did and ordered at the very start when the process went more smoothly, if they ordered now the report may be entirely different.

This report is not worth the paper it is wriiten on as it suggests this is what happens not what happened to one person.
      Last edited by dingdong; 11-10-06 at 07:40 AM.

Jay23Sx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Horsham Carfax
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Just to let you know quite a few people have had a transision as easy as this - I did for one.

But of course, with no reason to complain no one bothers writing about it.

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      That is true, I do think that the majority of customers have probably had a smooth transition. Otherwise we would be completely overwheled with peoples stories. That said it does not make it anymore pleasant for the customers who have had the migration problems.

sjp
      sjp is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Cheam
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Jay23Sx View Post
      Just to let you know quite a few people have had a transision as easy as this - I did for one.

But of course, with no reason to complain no one bothers writing about it.
      ditto... totally painless. not sure i like giving so much money every month to mr murdoch bit what can you do... want TV channels that telewest have only recently added (and use the +1 channels a whole lot) and i've nearly doubled my dsl speeds and knocked 7 quid a month off the bill.

first post

hugsie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: CMASHF
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Me tooo very painless switch over....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast