Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Like Tree8Likes

EU Cookie Directive - May 2012

This is a discussion on EU Cookie Directive - May 2012 within the Website news forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Lucose How about if the user was asked if they would like to store one cookie, i.e. ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: EU Cookie Directive - May 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Lucose View Post
      How about if the user was asked if they would like to store one cookie, i.e. an opt-out cookie?
      If you are really that bothered, then we can do one of a few things.

1) Invest in a custom coding to do what you say
      2) Delete your forum account
      3) Ask you yo delete all cookies from visiting this site
      4) Ask you to adjust your browser to block them

Logically there is no reason, why you cannot just accept the disclaimer, accept the site cookies (that work with vBulletin - as without these, then you couldn't use the forum software, to post, to reply, to store speed test results, or even have a list of unread threads / posts etc) and then you block all other ones that this site uses. (Google Analytics / Google Adsense / Affiliate Network) - We don't use any other cookies whatsoever from any third parties bar those listed.

We are going to do a full site audit at some point and then list the ones that we use.

We had to do something, and this is the result of what we have done. It is not perfect but it will be sorted asap
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 28-05-12 at 09:13 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,584 Posts

Looking at the amount of sites that have not even made any changes yet, to me suggests that we were more proactive initally.
      No doubt the lawyers will be rubbing there hands ready for a deluge of complaints about sites violating personal privacy. My take is that if you don't trust the integrity of any site enough to allow cookies, don't visit it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      No doubt the lawyers will be rubbing there hands ready for a deluge of complaints about sites violating personal privacy. My take is that if you don't trust the integrity of any site enough to allow cookies, don't visit it.
      Apparently the ICO will go after those sites that are not trying to introduce some kind of cookie warning whatsoever.

As for the integrity, then I agree, if people do not trust a website, then they should block all cookies involved with that site.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I can't see how that would work. A cookie is like an identity card which you produce to get access to the site and its features. If you don't have the 'identity card' you are not going to be recognised.
      vBulletin needs cookies to work, it doesn't track etc - it stores what you have read etc and your user ID so as to be more functional. You can still read the forums, read threads, but would be unable to start, or post any replies to a thread, if you blocked our cookies.

However, there would be more adverts, and a little less familiar layout, as we limit so many of the functions to make it a benefit to become a member, and to keep down search queries etc

I believe there is a way to restrict the number of times the notice appears for each visit, maybe NR can look into that, for the sake of those members who for some reason, do not wish to accept cookies.
      We can limit the amount of times it is shown, we can lessen the time it stays on the screen.

Any member who does not wish to accept the vBulletin cookies, is probably best advised to not login using their forum account, and then block the site cookies in their browser. (I know this sounds harsh, but this is why we said initially, that we would delete your forum accounts if you are in anyway concerned for privacy etc)

The whole point of us having it on every page load is to show that this site uses cookies, and to give the user the option to either accept or discontinue the use of our website in theory, as there is nothing really else we can do. The relaxed law means that if a user continues to use the site, then we can assume that you give us the permission. But if we tell the nag screen to only show 3 times, what happens on the 4th / 5th time that you refresh? Then we are not telling you what we should be telling you, so it is a catch 22 situation.

We haven't done this to pee people off, we have tried to implement some kind of solution to the ridiculous law that has been introduced.

I think you should realise that this is just the start, many think this legislation is unworkable and will make the internet much more difficult and less enjoyable to use. Another straight banana rule from the EU?
      This is one of the most stupid laws ever made, its like Health and Safety has now arrived on the internet, along with the censorship etc

Paul1360 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Llantrisant
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Yes I tick the box and then continue and it's still asking me to the every time I come to the site
      iechyd da

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul1360 View Post
      Yes I tick the box and then continue and it's still asking me to the every time I come to the site
      iechyd da
      What browser are you using, and do you clear cookies out when closing your browser?

Thanks

Fire Fox 12 and yes cookies cleared when I close down the browser. I've just checked by opening another website and clicked continue and then I closed down fire fox opened this site and it popped up again but the other never asked me again really really odd.
      iechyd da

Thanks
      Blog Entries

If you are clearing cookies on browser shutdown, that will be why. You would need to tell FF to allow cookies for this site. (It uses a cookie to remember that you said yes) By clearing cookies, it is treating you like a new visitor everytime you visit here.

Thanks

Hummmmmmmm no body loves me, Have put Sky-user to allow cookies but alas it still asks every time I open the site.
      Such is life then.
      iechyd da

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,584 Posts

Telling the site to allow cookies will not help if you have FF set to delete them on closing down. You will have to set it to 'Remember History' or use a Custom setting.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast