Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Like Tree8Likes

EU Cookie Directive - May 2012

This is a discussion on EU Cookie Directive - May 2012 within the Website news forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Have you ticked the box as well as the 'Continue' button?...

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: EU Cookie Directive - May 2012

Have you ticked the box as well as the 'Continue' button?

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

2. Advertisement
      Lucose is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

So if you don't want to accept cookies from this site you have to put up with a grey bar covering the lower portion of the screen every time a page loads? Seems a bit harsh.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,584 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lucose View Post
      So if you don't want to accept cookies from this site you have to put up with a grey bar covering the lower portion of the screen every time a page loads? Seems a bit harsh.
      Its the way it works. If you don't accept cookies, the site thinks you are a new user every time you load a page, as it has no way of checking whether you have been there before. A notice like this should appear on all sites very soon.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

How about if the user was asked if they would like to store one cookie, i.e. an opt-out cookie?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,584 Posts

I can't see how that would work. A cookie is like an identity card which you produce to get access to the site and its features. If you don't have the 'identity card' you are not going to be recognised.

I believe there is a way to restrict the number of times the notice appears for each visit, maybe NR can look into that, for the sake of those members who for some reason, do not wish to accept cookies.

I think you should realise that this is just the start, many think this legislation is unworkable and will make the internet much more difficult and less enjoyable to use. Another straight banana rule from the EU?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I can't see how that would work. A cookie is like an identity card which you produce to get access to the site and its features. If you don't have the 'identity card' you are not going to be recognised.
      I think it's workable. For instance I believe if you login to a website and it stores a login cookie, you have deemed to accept that cookie because you chose to log in. Same goes for adding something to a "shopping basket".

However, if a cookie is stored by an advertising network saying that you regularly like to visit bicycle websites it would need explicit permission.

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

There are a few sides to this.

There are sites such as SkyUser which use the Cookies to store some basic information, such as your log in ID and also some information to track anyone who happens to click on the advertising banners (which pay for the costs towards running this site).

Unfortunately the other side of this is sites which go to the extreme of tracking what people do. Well publicised examples in the past include BT with their 'Phorm', Google (check their new privacy policy).

Other sites, such as Amazon, which use cookies to trace who you are. From there Amazon can watch what you are reviewing on their site on various platforms that you are logged in to. This means that when I get emails from Amazon I frequently get information on the latest HomePlug deals or other things from where I have been searching for something to demonstrate an answer for a member. I could check the details on any computer which I have logged into my Amazon account, or my mobile. The result is the same.

Sure there are some site which follow in more detail what you do. It really depends on how they do it.

Since it is the advertising which helps to pay for sites such as this, would anyone be prepared to pay cash each time they visited, before they knew how good or bas the site is? Personally I think that this idea would kill a huge number of good sites on the Internet overnight.

Sites such as bbc.co.uk use cookies to provide local news and weather, otherwise they all treat you as if you live in some place such as London.

Sure cookies have a bad reputation, but their intention was intended to make our browsing habits more enjoyable. It would have been better for the EU to ban improper use of the Cookies than to bring out this system IMHO. Unfortunately this is the kind of silly things which the EU is famed for.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

It seems to be a function of the script used:
      // Number of times to display disclosure. Enter 0 to show it forever!!!!

0 is selected.

Also, three persistent cookies are stored before permission is granted: __utma, __utmb and __utmz. I'm guessing the Google Analytics javascript code needs to be withheld until permission is granted.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

We are working on a better solution, in the meantime we have put in place what was available for us to use.

If you don't wish to accept cookies, thats fine, but then you would never be able to login and use the forums for posting etc

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

It seems to be a function of the script used:
      // Number of times to display disclosure. Enter 0 to show it forever!!!!

0 is selected.

Also, three persistent cookies are stored before permission is granted: __utma, __utmb and __utmz. I'm guessing the Google Analytics javascript code needs to be withheld until permission is granted.
      Hence why we made a point of linking to the various browser instructions on how to block cookies, and also to our privacy page.

The ICO have actually relaxed the requirements slightly, and we will probably adopt the same system as the BBC and The Register, ie we are allowed to assume if you continue to use the site, that you accept the cookies.

What we have at the moment is not 100% right, and we are trying to find the best solution, but also let members / guests to the site become aware. Looking at the amount of sites that have not even made any changes yet, to me suggests that we were more proactive initally.

The reason the 0 is selected, is that if not accepted the disclaimer then yes it will show, as the website doesn't know who you are as such, as there are no cookies to say that you have visited. Once you accept the cookies from the bar thingy, you should never see it again unless you clear your cookies out.

The whole concept of the law is just wrong etc as effectively some sites just will not work.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 28-05-12 at 08:59 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast