Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Apology for the SMTP outage

This is a discussion on Apology for the SMTP outage within the Website news forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Last last night we were alerted to the fact by PM that the SMTP server was having issues. I checked ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Apology for the SMTP outage

Last last night we were alerted to the fact by PM that the SMTP server was having issues. I checked the server and could see that mail was being received and then sent. I watched the connections authenticating and then the job queue rise, and then subsequently fall.

After about 20 minutes I (in my wisdom) didn't think anymore of it and so went about doing my own thing.

This afternoon when I got in, I checked the forums (and my emails) and it soon became apparent that there was an issue with our SMTP server.

On checking the server, the email program we use has a file that contains all of the authenticated users, and is loaded by the email program. Trying to edit this file to make sure that all the names were there, showed me that they were not.

Checking the back up folder of where we keep a copy of this file, showed us that it was there, and it would appear that the server had stopped calling for that information, and so would give you a Username or Password error on your connection to our server.

On restarting our email server, the authenticated users reappeared into the email program and instantly I could see that it was infact properly working again.

We would like to apologise for all of the inconvenience that this may have caused. It was completely my error. If I had restarted the email server last night, you would have had your email working this morning.

Luckily we don't have many issues with the email server, and hopefully, we won't have any more for a long time.

Ged

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      mikaux is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208993
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Apology for the SMTP outage

Thanks for the update - and for a free service your response time is amazing, your service brilliant and there are many who pay who could take some lessons from you

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Thanks mikaux

We are going to look into a better way of monitoring the server. Currently it is monitored, but on this occasion the monitoring service didn't actually know that you couldn't send email, and so didn't actually alert us of that fact.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

gilbert is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikaux View Post
      Thanks for the update - and for a free service your response time is amazing, your service brilliant and there are many who pay who could take some lessons from you
      ...ditto....thought it was still down...but I just had to re-enter my smtp password in Thunderbird.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

If anyone else is having trouble using our SMTP server, could you please check that you are using the correct username and passwords.

Nearly all of the messages we have received today, telling us that it is not working, have on checking, been incorrect passwords entered.

Your login details are:

Username: Yourforumusername
      Password: The password you sent to us on your application, and not the password that you are using to login to our forums

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

My email client had the correct Password however the SMTP server responded with 'incorrect password'. If I re-entered the correct password then the SkyUser SMTP worked correctly. Wonder why that was happening when the Password was correct in the first place?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

One of life's mysteries I think.

We now have an excellent monitoring facility in place, and we should now be made aware of any authentification issues within minutes in the future.

Since implementing the new monitoring software, we get reports that are emailed to us if there are any issues authenticating via our SMTP server, and if the server fails, it uses a backup SMTP server to alert us.

As for anyone else having any problems, please try reinputting your username and password before contacting us, just to rule your end out.

If anyone is having any further issues, please contact us and give your forum username and the password that you are using at the time. This way we can confirm if the password is correct or not.

So far - all of the issues that we have received since the inital downtime, have been username or password input problems.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 14-12-09 at 04:45 PM.