Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recent Spam And Commercial Links

This is a discussion on Recent Spam And Commercial Links within the Website news forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Over the last 48 hours or so we have had numerous members sign up, for the sole purpose of posting ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Recent Spam And Commercial Links

Over the last 48 hours or so we have had numerous members sign up, for the sole purpose of posting commercial links and for profit offers for Sky on eBay at reduced prices.

Just to clarify, if you sign up to Sky User and then post commercial links, we will instantly ban your forum account as well as delete any posts that you have made. If you wish to advertise on Sky User as a commercial entity, then please feel free to contact us and if we agree to host your links, pay the going rate.

Our hosting costs are enormous, and for you to come on here and take away any potential advertising income from us, is just not on. Our site has been, and always will be free for our users / guests, as all of our running costs are met through the advertising that we run on our web site.

Also, if you post any agency or affiliate links, or reduced offers for profit, we will also ban your user account as well as delete any posts that you make. This also includes any commercial links for products in your signature.

We have no absolutely no issues whatsover with people posting threads offering free vouchers, on the condition that any of our members or guests are not paying you any monies (or that you are gaining any affiliate commissions) for that priviledge. Any links that do not meet this criteria will be removed and your forum account disabled.

The whole point of being a member on Sky User is for people to ask for help or for members offering their help and experiences to benefit others, and not for you to gain free advertising, search engine optimisation, and most definitely not to make profit from any of our members or guests that may visit our website.

We would also ask that any members that spot any such links to please report the post to us using the report function on our forums, you can do this by clicking on the report this post icon, which can be found above any post on this forum.

Ged and Glenn
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 06-12-09 at 12:49 AM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Recent Spam And Commercial Links

here here

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

here here
      Should that not be Hear, Hear.

Hear hear

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

would you correct me if i had of spoken it??

Thanks

Probably not

Sorry for making frivolous posts NR. On reflection I think they may be detracting from the original post. Please delete if you think so.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

on amazon ive seen a few cheap item than in the description says go to (short url) to see full details and its actually a scam site etc.

anyway i think you should ban shortened urls, like tinyurl.com/calamooshcalamooshicandothefandango

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

There is no need to use tinyurl to shorten links as most forums software including vBulliten will do it for you.

Unfortunately spammers (which is what these people are) will always get through and post on sites such as these. One thing you could think off is to moderate all new members posts or those that contain links as this would stop their posts from making it through onto the forums.
      Last edited by Alan b; 06-12-09 at 08:57 PM.

Thanks

on amazon ive seen a few cheap item than in the description says go to (short url) to see full details and its actually a scam site etc.
      If you see this sort of thing on Amazon, or eBay for that matter, report it. These sites don't like scammers or spammers any more than we do.

TomD

Useful Utilites

skypaulusplus Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

i shall, next time i see one,

on martin lewises site new member cannot post links, so they www. dothis . comand sometimes 'postpadd' to get upto post count, anyway i think a new rule should be to block:
      tinyurl etc. links
      links in first 25 posts
      links in first 3 months
      moderate first 50 posts
      moderate first 20 links
      moderate high post frequencys for 1 year, for example 60 posts in 3 hours to get a large post count

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

How many moderators do you think there are and dont you think they may also have a life to live ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast