Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Abuse of the SkyUser SMTP service

This is a discussion on Abuse of the SkyUser SMTP service within the Website news forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I agree with you Alan. I would go as far to say that you have to remain an active member ...

reddwarfcrew is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Abuse of the SkyUser SMTP service

I agree with you Alan.

I would go as far to say that you have to remain an active member of the forums (not sure how you define active!!!!)

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Not a bad idea Alan, another forum I frequent does exactly the same for the use of the pm facility. You cant make use of it until youve made X legitimate posts and been a member for X days. Seems to work quite well.

Edit - agree with that as well red, it would stop people getting a freebie off the back of the forum and not giving anything back. How its defined and policed is another matter though.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I tend to think that we should give people the benefit of doubt.

However on this particular occasion, the facts stink of someone who purposely spammed, and not some kind of spam bot or virus like activity.

1) The person concerned, used a 'from' email address, the same as the one found on the site (contact section) he was trying to promote.

2) We blocked this email address and the IP address on the first notification, thus stopping the spam from leaving our server.

3) The next day, another email address and a completely different Sky IP address were then used, again, this email address was found on the second website in the spam email. Thus leading us to think he had purposely changed these to get around the block we had put on the SMTP server.

4) Both domains were owned by people who lived near to each other, we rang the second person, who has his details on the 'whois' for that domain. This person stated that he knew the other person

5) We emailed the contact person from 1) on both of his email address's which were visible on his website that he was first promoting. We received no reply, apart from then we noticed 3) happening. I do not believe that this person was not aware of the sending of his email spam. Most spam is sent using a false email address, or an assumed one, or a legit harvested one. The chances of that 'from' address also appearing on the promoted website I would say are zero.

Luckily so far, we have removed ourselves from the blacklists, and as previously stated are evaluating our options on how to stop this happening again. I do have to say, that Sky were excellent in their response to our email, and we would like to say a huge thank you.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      I think it would be more prudent if we actually used a member's email address as the username rather than your forum name, as unfortunately the SMTP software doesn't show us the username of the person sending the rogue email, but if that person's email address is the same username as the from address on the spam email, it could then be more easily found.
      I thought one of the purposes of the SMTP server was to allow users to send emails with any From address. If it was restricted to my @sky.com email address then your server would have no advantages over the Sky/Gmail server.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spouse View Post
      I thought one of the purposes of the SMTP server was to allow users to send emails with any From address. If it was restricted to my @sky.com email address then your server would have no advantages over the Sky/Gmail server.

It would not stop you sending from any email address, it is a step that we need to take so that we can identify the offender more quickly. If your machine was compromised, it would normally send from your usual email account, therefore when we get a spam report from the server hosting company, your email address (which would now be your username instead of your forum user name) would be easier to find in the authorisation list so to speak.

Effectively all we may be doing is changing the current format of the setup on the SMTP server and the way that it aunthenticates, ie yourforumusername now becomes yourcurrentemailaddresslessthedotcombit. This would not affect any existing users, only new applications. As at the moment, it just says, newsreader and mypassword with no cross match against an email address. Our server does not mind what ISP or what 'from' address you actually use, as long as the authentication of the username and password that people have supplied to us is met, it would allow you to send.

We have however now found a method of identifying the person involved, and we can now relax, knowing that no matter what email address, IP address etc that that person uses, his / her account will now not authorise, and so cannot send any more spam emails, as well as his / hers forum account being banned.

99.9999999999 % of the people who use the SMTP server are genuine people with a genuine need for the SMTP service, of which we do not wish to penalise.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 23-09-09 at 11:16 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

meepatme is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hmm intresting since yesturday the smtp gateway iv been using is a work one neon.fusion.co.uk been working fine for about 6 months not having to apply for any application?

It now gives me the error of

An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'test', Account: 'Russ', Server: 'neon.webfusion.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=90.197.67.198)', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC69

I can assure you it hasnt been spamming as it send about 10 emails a day....
      Does it mean when am using the neon smtp gateway thats using skys smtp gateway? How do i stand using the work smtp gateway now. It seems to me sky are blocking me from doing so. I reconfigured the smtp gateway to be using skys and the business pop3 details. This works but encoded my outgoing emails with my sky.com email address. This looks a bit naff business wise when somone sends the mail to my domain but i reply with another address.....

Is there any proccess I can do to get it back so I can use the business smtp address to work again or to use my sky account and have it show my work address apposed to the sky.com one

Thanks for your help

Russ

FelixTCat is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Tilehurst
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

We have however now found a method of identifying the person involved, and we can now relax
      Delighted to hear that, as now perhaps you can take a breather and have a cuppa (or )!

I just want to thank you for the superb service and facilities you provide.

Regards,

Felix

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Thanks

Sad to see a fine facility abused.
      Out of interest - if we choose to bounce any e-mail, specially spam, would that cause you a problem?

Cheers

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meteosat View Post
      Out of interest - if we choose to bounce any e-mail, specially spam, would that cause you a problem?
      Not quite sure what you mean by that?

Meteosat is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Porthcawl (S.Wales)
      Broadband ISP: BT INFINITY
      Thanks

I check my e-mail first with a prog called Mailwasher - it has an option to bounce the unwanted e-mail back to the sender if the path is deliverable - I also use Turnpike as my e-mail client, and it also has this facility. Ibelieve the idea is that if the spammer has a genuine return address he will get fed up with a flood of returned e-mails.

Mostly though they are mere pointers to web sites, or worse they have come fom an infected machine.

Just wanted to make sure that if we did bounce then it wasn't going to cause you problems

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast