Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bt Forums - Please don't discuss our BT Webwise

This is a discussion on Bt Forums - Please don't discuss our BT Webwise within the Website news forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; How much more damage can BT to their brand? Not only did they allegedly run trials of Webwise / Phorm ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Bt Forums - Please don't discuss our BT Webwise

How much more damage can BT to their brand?

Not only did they allegedly run trials of Webwise / Phorm in 2006 and 2007, they have since started a trial at the end of September 2008.

Now it would appear that BT are trying to sanitise their forums of any discussion or questions, regarding what they have been telling us, that everyone wants.

"Our broadband support forums are designed to be a place where customers can discuss technical support issues and offer solutions. To ensure that the forums remain constructive we're tightening up our moderation policies and will be deleting threads that don't provide constructive support. For example, we have removed a number of forum discussions about BT Webwise. If you do want to find out more about BT Webwise, we provide lots of information and the facility to contact us at bt.com/webwise. We hope you'll continue to enjoy being part of the support community. "

Statement from BT Beta forums
      The register have picked up on this, and had a quote from Adam Liversage, BT's chief press officer, told The Register:
      "The reason why we've done this is that the point of the forums is technical support and the WebWise threads weren't appropriate."
      BT silences customers over Phorm ? The Register

What have they got to hide?

Have they decided its all too much hassle and they are sacking Phorm off?

Have the BBC complained about the use of the word Webwise?

One things for sure, BT have ruled themselves out of any chance of supplying broadband to me as an ISP, for life.

Shame on you BT!

For more information on Webwise, Phorm etc here's some links

thinkbroadband :: BT bans discussion of Phorm on its BT Beta forums
      BT silences customers over Phorm ? The Register
      http://nodpi.org

The usual tags apply to this thread.

Come on Sky, do the decent thing, rule the use of Phorm on the Sky Broadband network out.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 19-11-08 at 04:14 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Bt Forums - Please don't discuss our BT Webwise

It amazes me how companies think that by severly moderating their own forums, that the issue goes away.

It may do off their forums but that just means that other support forums will still happily talk about it and that the company in question will be ridiculed for lack of freedom of speech.

As for Sky I would assume that they may introduce it eventually and give customers a 5 discount a month if they have it.....
      oh wait the're doing something like that with the phones already.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

It's not the first time BT have 'doctored' that particular thread and previous versions. I've been reading it for months, even made the odd posting, but this is the last straw.
      I suspect BT have been outfaced by all the questions in that thread. They daren't answer direct questions for fear of where it will lead them.
      This last move really does show them up for what they really are - a bunch of money grabbing barstewards who put their search for profits, and themselves, above the law!
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

astra is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYELL
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

sounds like plusnet all over again and didn't do them much good

orbiter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCFOM
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

I hope in future that someone will actually take over BT as they just seem more and more like an overcharging negligent company regarding todays consumers. I feel it also likely that BT must be considering some sort of underhanded activity regarding PHORM, especially when closing forums where customers are discussing their options regarding a product that 'they' are actually paying for

I was only reading a few days ago that instead of moving forward and getting on with fibre-optic broadband for UK customers, BT are dragging their heels again as shareholder funding is being considered above what I would have thought being a furure proofing operation towards this countries communication requirements.

Also whilst very sad that 10000 jobs are being dropped by BT, the problems they have are more likely to do with poor management, high prices and Profiteering taking preferance over genuine customer service rather than any credit crunch IMHO.

Just my 2p's worth. 'Breath' - Ahhh feel better now

Ned Ludd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Haxby
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet
      Router: TP-Link WR2543ND
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by astra View Post
      sounds like plusnet all over again and didn't do them much good
      No! They got taken over by BT!

I once had to report a CC lost to stop PlusNet taking any more money offa me!
      Geoff, York.
      Can't call me a Luddite now!

Nigelh is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: Hitchin
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: and Multiroom
      Thanks

Compared to minusnet's (lack of) customer service, Sky are fantastic. I paid 3 times as much for my broadband, I know that I didn't then pay for the TV channels, but I think overall we are glad we've got the TV, or 75% less speed, and a more rigid FUP. Not only that, my entire hard drive was trashed as a result of the attack that their mail server had which was denied for ages. Indeed, the only spam I get now is on my old plus net address. They weren't a bad ISP until BT took them over, after then it was awful. I reboot my sky router once every few months, with plus net it was sometimes several times a day. Having said that, NTL was much worse. Sky may not be perfect, but it works.

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Perhaps NewreadeR should set up a separate BT/Phorm forum on here and invite all the BT people over here to discuss it to their heart's content. I reckon the new members signing up would go through the roof

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

If I knew BT wouldn't come after us, we could even set up, BTUser.co.uk, seems as we own that domain as well.

But the impression I get is they are gunning for people who say anything they don't like to hear.

Which in today's world is absolutely crazy, as more and more sites are publishing what BT are doing, which would have been easier for BT to keep it in one place. Unfortunately for BT, people will say what they want, and won't be silenced.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Kbramman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dulwich
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Well as you're not using the picnic skins no more, why not set it up for a laugh?

Like here, you'd only be supplying a forum for those on BT to come together to help each other out, and as they can use their own routers (unlike sky of course) I'm sure there would be even more need for a site this BTUser...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast