Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ask Sky!

This is a discussion on Ask Sky! within the Website news forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Alan b I agree with this, and perhaps that is why Sky have not enforced the limits ...

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Ask Sky!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
      I agree with this, and perhaps that is why Sky have not enforced the limits because they we do not have an official way of checking what we use.

NO WE DONT WANT THIS!!, For exactly the reasons you state. They dont stand a chance of enforcing limits whilst they dont provide tools to measure the usage, and that has to suit most if not all people.

Slim

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,583 Posts

They dont stand a chance of enforcing limits whilst they dont provide tools to measure the usage
      That may be your opinion, but it is not necessary correct. There is nothing to stop Sky enforcing a limit that they can measure, even if you can't. Other ISPs do it. It is similar to Sky cutting off users whom they suspect of harbouring nasties which are being distributed over their network, even if the user is sure that this is not the case.

On this subject, I have just come across the following in the T&Cs, it may have always been present, but I don't remember seeing it or it being referred to in any posts.
      SKY BROADBAND CONNECT TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT POLICY
      In addition to the monthly Usage Cap, this Traffic Management Policy applies to you if you take Sky Broadband Connect.
      Excessive use during peak time
      We will monitor your Sky Broadband usage during peak times from 5pm to 12am each day. This is when the majority of customers use the network and when speeds could be affected by the excessive usage of a minority. If we consider that your usage is excessive during peak times we may slow down your connection for the rest of the day so that it has less affect on others. Only a very small number of customers will be affected by this (less than 2%). If you are affected, we will only slow down the speed you can get during peak times for applications which use a lot of bandwidth (for example, streaming, peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative affect on other customers. You will still be able to use Sky Broadband to do other things normally such as browsing, email, instant messaging and VOIP. There are no restrictions in place outside of peak times.
      Traffic management of our Network
      To ensure we provide a sustainable quality broadband service to our customers, we continuously monitor and efficiently manage the Sky Network as a whole. To do this, during peak times (from 5pm to 12am each day), we may slow down the speed that all Sky Broadband Connect customers can get on certain applications which we consider use up a lot of bandwidth (for example peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative affect on other customers There are no restrictions in place for applications such as browsing, email, streaming, instant messaging and VOIP during peak times. We do not put restrictions on our network outside of peak times.
      Sorry NR, this has little to do with your OP

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

audioslim is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Failsworth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That may be your opinion, but it is not necessary correct. There is nothing to stop Sky enforcing a limit that they can measure, even if you can't. Other ISPs do it. It is similar to Sky cutting off users whom they suspect of harbouring nasties which are being distributed over their network, even if the user is sure that this is not the case.

On this subject, I have just come across the following in the T&Cs, it may have always been present, but I don't remember seeing it or it being referred to in any posts.

Sorry NR, this has little to do with your OP
      That's just connect though, and again were into the 'just because it's in T&C's' doesnt constiute a fair contract condition.
      They couldnt enforce it.

Slim

Thanks

That's just connect though,
      Which your profile says you are on I think the second part is meant to refer to the Sky Network, ie the LLU side, if I read it correctly, but they have messed it up by putting in Sky Broadband Connect
      Last edited by Isitme; 08-09-08 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Correctioin

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

dholdi is online now Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by audioslim View Post
      NO WE DONT WANT THIS!!, For exactly the reasons you state. They dont stand a chance of enforcing limits whilst they dont provide tools to measure the usage, and that has to suit most if not all people.

Slim
      I think thats a pretty selfish opinion. I think that sky dont currently enforce their limits on their llu products because of the huge capacity of the network they own and hence they dont have to pay bandwidth charges to another operater. However thats at this point in time, in the future when more customers are onboard who insist on dl the internet for the sake of it things will no doubt change. As for connect as soon as bt pass on extra charges then they will be forced to either enforce the limits or put the costs up for everyone, I can guess which option would suit the majority.

Thanks

I think BT must charge Sky in bulk for the bandwidth used by Connect customers. Which means the majority who only use a few Gbs a month are covering up the fact that some are going way over their limit. BT will not be bothered as long as the total bill is being paid.

TomD

Useful Utilites

dholdi is online now Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Thanks

^^^ Agreed, the point I was trying to make ( badly ) I guess is capacity is not infinite and once it is reached then sky / bt will either want more money / or impose stricter limits and it will be the irresponsible actions of the few that spoil it for the majority.

Thanks

No, you made the point very well and I agree with you. I think it was an ISP called something like Eclipse that was one of the first to introduce unlimited downloads. Due to them attracting the type that want to download terrabytes a month, they were forced to introduce capping much to the annoyance of those who had not abused the service. The internet downloaders then moved on to another unsuspecting ISP. This is why ISPs in general were forced to introduce bandwidth capping and FUPs.

TomD

Useful Utilites

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

The last I heard, and this was a long long time ago, in a far off Galaxy, Sky had 11 BT Central Pipes.

According to Kitz Plusnet have 9, and they have been trading over ten years.

I think Sky have pretty much got plenty of BW to spare, and as you say Dave, covering their backs in the T and C's for the eventuality.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12