Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Activation Delays

This is a discussion on Activation Delays within the Website news forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Well here's my twopennuth! My daughter had her activation letter stating Wed 4th Oct. Guess what, she discovered her telephone ...

marti is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hemel Hempstead
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Well here's my twopennuth!
      My daughter had her activation letter stating Wed 4th Oct. Guess what, she discovered her telephone line was OOS on Thurs 5th Oct. Reported to BT on the 5th. Today 9th Oct (this morning) she has received a text mssg from BT saying that an engineer has been allocated the fault!! This delay after being told immediately upon reporting that the fault was in the local exchange.
      Hmmph!
      Martin

2. Advertisement
      Amberlodge1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My Problem Activation

Hi

I recently had a brand new BT line, complete with a new pole, installed just to get Sky Broadband . I might add that my nursing home had never had BT fitted and had chose NTL for their supply.

After the installation, the BT engineer told me I was internet ready and tested the line to see what speed I might expect (3meg).

Then I ordered my installation Sky Broadband and had my Sky Router installed on the 11th Nov and was told it would be active in 24 hours by the installation guy. Not that he knows???

I contacted Sky Broadband on the 15th to see why I had not been activated, only to find out that BT had cancelled it, siting that there may have been an error on the line when testing, which caused the cancellation.

I phoned BT and they said it was against thier licensing to cancel an order and gave me a number to pass to BT Broadband to help resolve the situation.

I phoned Sky back and told them that niether BT or I had cancelled and that I had been given a contact number for them to help sort thing out which was tha BT Wholesale division, but I was slapped down and told they can't make any calls to BT and that my failed connection would take time to cleared before they could re-process it again.

I phoned again today 21st and no surprise to find out that is had still not been cleared. Although it had been noted for management attention.

Am I at fault for not having my Router plugged in constantly or can it be done without the router being active???

I did not see the point as I still had no activation date.

Regards

Paul Simpson

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries
      Am I at fault for not having my Router plugged in constantly or can it be done without the router being active???
      Nothing to do with the router been plugged in, something has gone wrong somewhere else.

One word of warning, if this broadband is for business use (not saying it is) becareful what you say to Sky.

They do not want business users to use the service and have been known to cancel when this is mentioned. Just a heads up.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Dusty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: North Finchley
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Activation delay after faulty tie pairs

Hi there, I just want to update this thread by explaining my personal experience with my Sky Broadband activation.

Everything went smoothly until the day I was supposed to have my line activated. BT Order Tracking utility showed the activation date as 25 Oct 2006, however, the date passed and the line was not activated. I phoned Sky the next day and was told that according to BT (through their interface with BT's system) my line could not be activated because a faulty tie pairs. They told me that the activation would depend entirely on BT and advise me to wait.

On 6 Nov 2006, I checked BT Order Tracking utility and to my surprise I noticed that my order was cancel. I immediately phoned SKY and was told that they have not done such a thing. Then I phoned BT and they did not have a clue about the existence of that order even though it was listed on my account. Finally a guy at Sky explained me that this is a common BT procedure with orders. If BT fails to complete an order after ten days of the originally scheduled date, the order will be cancel automatically, in my case on 4 Nov. Unfortunately, Sky was unable to resubmit the order as they needed BT to clear the order before being able to put another one.

Eventually, on 21 Nov Sky was able to put a new order and BT set the activation date for the 30 Nov. This time BT did actually activate my line and now I finally have broadband.

Hope this information is useful for others so they can understand better the reason for activation delays.

teg
      teg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: HIGH WYCOMBE
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Activation Delays

I thought I would give my experience. I have been watching this forum since last summer and it was not until mid March I decided to move from Orange to Sky Broadband (Base).

I got my MAC code from Orange, which took a while but then I contacted Sky and placed my order. I received my router a few days later and was given an activation date of Friday 23rd March.

However on 22nd March I recieved a letter to state my MAC code had been rejected and I had to provide it again. I contacted Orange, got my MAC code again and called Sky. As I called them during office hours, I was informed that my MAC code had been successfully accepted on this occassion. I waited for further information or another letter but this did not materialise. I called Sky and was first told the date for migration would be 2nd April. Then when I called on Thursday (5th) I was told I would be migrated on Friday 6th. However this morning I have called Sky and my MAC code has been rejected again

Not sure what to do, I think I need to go back to Orange and get a new MAC code generated and go back to Sky. However due to their system, they cancel the order and you have to place the order again (which is silly in my opinion).

Something tells me, I wish I had not decided to move from Orange. Well at least I still have internet access which is one of few plus points.

Anyone had a similar experience recently?

Regards,

Teg

PeteC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: cable
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

intheir defence my line was actiavted within 3 days but couldn't get an IP address but this happened on the activation day - I was told in a letter to expect upto 3 days after this due to delays

fair play they did their job and now the traning is over my connection and speed are constant.

saleshark is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: nantwich
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi, I have had a letter stating my activation date would be 31st May, I provided sky with a mac code and evrything seems to be going fine. I have received my router and am ready to go.

However the 31st May has now passed and no activation, i'm not too worried as it says to allow upto three days for activation. But when I have checked my orders on my landline with BT there is nothing there other than No date, No Date , No date and view details which when clicked says there is a fault and details cannot be given.

My concern is that there appears to be no order on BT's system for migration???

Has anyone else had this problem???

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

My Brother was activated on Wednesday but surprise surprise he didn't recieve the letter advising him of this or the router, so big brother (me) is having to do all is online stuff (ebay etc...) for him. Sky really need to sort this out as there really is no excuse to leave people high and dry without a connection. It happened to me last October and it is still happening to new customers.

Peter Mayley is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01344
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I have been cut off by Talk Talk on the 7th and told I have at least 2 weeks to wait before I can be joined up to Sky and i am trying to run an office for 3 companies from home!!!

I am happy to use my own router - can anybody recommend how to get the various log on codes needed?

Peter

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

I have at least 2 weeks to wait before I can be joined up to Sky and i am trying to run an office for 3 companies from home!!!
      With the greatest of respect, do not ever tell Sky that. Sky Broadband is for residential use only, and if they find out, they may disconnect you / cancel the contract anyway.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast