Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gadget Show Speed Tester

This is a discussion on Gadget Show Speed Tester within the Website news forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; I have just read about the Channel 5 Program, The Gadget Show and their campaign for real broadband. However their ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Gadget Show Speed Tester

I have just read about the Channel 5 Program, The Gadget Show and their campaign for real broadband.

However their Speed Tester is goosed and does not present any true figures for upload or download.

My test results were:

Last Result:
      Download Speed: 3043 kbps (380.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
      Upload Speed: 309 kbps (38.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Which should have been more like this:

Your download speed is 5752Kbps. That is 1198Kbps above the average for Sky
      Your upload speed is 685Kbps. That is 239Kbps above the average for Sky

However they should have used a proper speed tester like ours here:

SkyUser - Broadband Speed Test

or ThinkBroadband's

thinkbroadband :: Broadband Speed Test

I have filled in the results page for them and submitted this reply:

Your download and upload speed tester is way out, you are not representing any ISP in a good light. And I truly hope that you do not even attempt to justify the lower speeds than normally recorded ones.

Why not try a decent speed tester like this one to get a truer speed?

SkyUser - Broadband Speed Tester

I trust that you will not present any results on the basis of your test, it is severely flawed.

We have opened a discussion thread here if you would like to discuss.

Ged
      Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!
      If you would like to take part in their survey the link is here:

On TV - The Gadget Show
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 31-01-09 at 06:20 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Gadget Show Speed Tester

Gadget Show Results
      d 3290 u 569

with a proper one ( skyusers )
      d 12264 u 579

mmm something wrong with it me thinks
      Last edited by dholdi; 12-11-07 at 11:57 PM.

richone54 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: watford
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Gadget show -- 6192 d/l & 355 up

Sky user -- 6048 up & 338 down

but it is 1am

(still think the gadget show test is a bit of a gimmick, will not take fully into account line conditions and home line)

terrorvis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Draytek 2830n
      Thanks

I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here. All speed testers are contended. If 30 people are trying to download the same 3meg file as fast as possible, the servers bandwidth is where the download rate is strangled.

Sky users speed test would have exactly the same problem... however it will be used less as it hasn't had a national television program to publicise it.

Speed testers in my humble opinion, are a waste of time and bandwidth. Far too many people read too much into them. There are too many factors which will effect results. Numbers should not be read as true, only true for that tester at that moment. Making them useless really.

Test your download, but do it on a professionally seeded torrent (open office for example) or a news server. Someone with suitable bandwidth. Granted, they are not as user friendly.

My Ja.net 10mb fibre connection gave these results on the gadget show tester ten minutes ago...

Download Speed: 8979 kbps (1122.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
      Upload Speed: 6378 kbps (797.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

As the service is contended between our users, it seems a sensible result, as I guess the tester will be fairly quiet this morning. And the file size on the testers upload test is not big enough to allow our 10mbit upload to max out.

I'm not saying you shouldn't offer a speed test, but saying it is accurate or more accurate than any other, I think is a little misleading.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Fair comment, however they are doing a campaign of the Real Results, and then I would assume present their results.

I was pointing out that their speed tester is fundamentally flawed and should not be used in any calculations, as quite clearly they do not have the bandwidth or an effective (or anywhere near) way of measuring the speed.

My speed was a good example, it represents my ISP as providing a speed of 3mb, however in reality it is nearly 7mb on ours and ThinkBroadband's results. So they are not truthfully using my result, or my actual line speed.

Anyone with common sense would therefore see that they cannot say to the UK's population, the average speed for any ISP is Xmb as they do not have an accurate or reliable method of capturing that info. Their server fell over.

My point to The Gadget Show, was making them aware of this inaccuracy. Like was said on another website.

"There are plenty of issues that really need to talked through with them if they are to have their campaign paid any attention too, or the industry will just slate it."

thinkbroadband :: Re: BB speed - The Gadget Show

However, yes I do agree with you.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Exchange:
      Thanks

You too make some good points there.

So we seem to be in basic agreement that speed testers are a very inaccurate way to actually test speeds, and should always be treated with a pinch of salt.

I haven't yet seen the program (its sat on my plus box waiting for me) and I agree it is absurd if they think their results will be good factual evidence.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

So we seem to be in basic agreement that speed testers are a very inaccurate way to actually test speeds, and should always be treated with a pinch of salt.
      Yes, our Speed Tester is there for an indication of what the average is, a sort of point and click so to speak, which gives people who may or may not be very technical, a guide to what to expect. In fact we have a disclaimer on our results as:

Our speedtester has recorded speeds of 'up to' 30Mb, however, it is highly unlikely that you would ever obtain this level of speed at the moment. Please note: All speeds offered by any UK ISP, should be measured fairly accurately. We do not display our results in any 'up to' bracket, we display all those captured. This means that the Averages taken, could be on an 'up to' line speed of 2mb, 8mb connection etc. These results are then averaged by the number of tests taken for that particular ISP, and not the total tests taken.

This is because we realise that there is just no way of getting the right results on an 'up to' Xmb speed. We could not say on an 'up to' 8mb service you should expect 8mb as like you have pointed out, there are too many factors, wiring, distance etc. Therefore our results are bundled together to give an overall picture for that ISP.

We were going to add a checkbox for your actual attenuation, however we accept that possibly 7 out of 10 people using the internet may not even know what attenuation is and decided against it. We just wanted to achieve a simple test for members to benefit or get an idea of what they are receiving.

Another click box we were going to add (and may still do) is the normal line speed that you achieve, ie 2mb, 4mb, 6mb, etc. We could then present the results in an "up to" format.

Our Speedtester results could be construed by any other ISP as being non accurate for them, as obviously our most accurate results would be for Sky Broadband, as they have achieved the highest number of recorded tests. (If I have understood averages correctly)

One thing that we have done to help balance out downloads, is to use CacheFly: Start Delivering - as the download service, as they have multiple data centres and so our downloads are not measured off one PC so to speak.

The software that The Gadget Show have used to present the Speed Tester is a great piece of software that is renowned for being of good quality and fairly accurate, but only if you have a good network / backend for delivering the test to the users.

We tried this software last December in an attempt to bring a Speed Tester to our members. We had to give up on it, as our server / bandwidth was just not up to the job and recorded completely flawed results, if your line speed was over 10mb.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Don't get me wrong, it seems you have done a good job with your speedtester.
      The catchfly system seems a good idea too.

And I understand why speedtesters exist for the less technically savy user. I'm glad to see you also point out inaccuracies in the form of a disclaimer.

Basically its just too many things can get in the way of accurate results, from server overload, firewalls to background processes.

I have my own personal theory that if speedtesters weren't available, people would generally be happy with what they get! The curse of the speedtester got worse after rate adaptive adsl services became available imho. I have little patience for people who post in places such as this saying that yesterday they got 3400kbps and today it's 'only' 3000kbps.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

I'm glad to see you also point out inaccuracies in the form of a disclaimer.
      This is what rattled me with The Gadget Show, no additional information, no true speed capturing and the ISP's shown in a bad light, through no fault of their own. Imagine how many ISP's will have been rang today?

"Why is my 8mb connection only giving me 3mb, when it normally gives me 7mb downloads?"

The person on the other end of the phone will probably have no idea and say the wrong thing and then just confuse Joe Bloggs even more, worse still have them doing socket and filter changes etc.

I have my own personal theory that if speedtesters weren't available, people would generally be happy with what they get!
      Got to agree there too. I remember downloading a song off Napster in 50 odd minutes and was chuffed to bits that I had downloaded it and not paid for it Now if I don't get it in 40 seconds I get annoyed.... Ahhh the good old days.

Fire & Brimstone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pollok
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The tester skyuser has set up gives results that are slightly less than thinkbroadband :: Broadband Speed Test. The gadget show actually gives results greater than what I normally expect. They are an indicator only but it is good that Sky User and thinkbroadband :: Broadband Speed Test produce similar results.

I will use these two for comparisons both for my speed and confirming the quality of each others results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast