Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Picnic user and Sky User Synergy?

This is a discussion on Picnic user and Sky User Synergy? within the Website news forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Hmm i was just wondering about decision to run the forums, my personal view would be have the same community ...

RickyC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Salford
      Broadband ISP: Mid/JNET
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Exclamation Picnic user and Sky User Synergy?

Hmm i was just wondering about decision to run the forums, my personal view would be have the same community forums and transfer existing users to the new forum. I would have thought that if picnic uses the same easynet network some of the issues may be the same. Also it would be easier to mod if most of the forums are shared? Anyway This is only my personal opinion, i am not saying what the admins are doing is wrong. Just voicing my opinion! Any other views?
      Also i do not even know if it is possible to share forums across seperate forums?

2. Advertisement
      alex-k is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peterborough Central
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Picnic user and Sky User Synergy?

ye and all posts ;p
      I speak Russian / English / Lithuanian

dtr44 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: halfway wshal
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

dont know if it would be fair to transfer all the forum and members over ,as many people link to this site for help on sky tv,packages etc,whereas at the moment picnic ,if it starts, will probably only deal with freeview and bb , it also would look bad to start a new forum with 14000 members on the first day ,i think if people who use this forum want they can start on the other as well rather than a mass membership move it allows people the choice of moving or adding picnicuser to the bookmarks

Hornet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eastbourne, SDESTBR
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Billion Bipac 7800N
      Thanks

Depending what happens if BB changes 100% to picnic then I would think the BB forums would be transfered to the new site or a link given but everything else would stay as it is now or everything may stay as is and a link will be done, things might change so we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks

I did not even think they would rebrand sky bb! I could be wrong though!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RickyC View Post
      Hmm i was just wondering about decision to run the forums, my personal view would be have the same community forums and transfer existing users to the new forum. I would have thought that if picnic uses the same easynet network some of the issues may be the same. Also it would be easier to mod if most of the forums are shared? Anyway This is only my personal opinion, i am not saying what the admins are doing is wrong. Just voicing my opinion! Any other views?
      Also i do not even know if it is possible to share forums across seperate forums?

Hi Ricky - to change name of SkyUser to PicnicBroadbandUser would be what's known as Search Engine Suicide. We get over 2500 Google searches and over 5000 visitors a day.

If Sky change or rebrand to Picnic Broadband, we would then have to redirect all requests for skyuser.co.uk to the other domain. And then Transfer merge the databases.

However I do not think that that is going to happen. Apart from that I really cannot see Sky rebranding. Time will tell and we will adapt how we have to.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 04-09-07 at 02:46 PM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

I think my initial post unclear, my idea although there were two separate forums ie skyuser and picnic user. Most of the forums would be shared like technolgy general chat and the easynet service status. However each forum would have like separate boards ie for sky user router board and a picnic user router board. But on both websites you could see both the boards however on the sky user, the skyuser router board page this would be at the top of the forum and the picnic user router problems would be at the bottom.
      Does that make sense?
      I only suggest this as many of the issues if there are any (lol) would probably linked as we would probably using the same service ie easynet?

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Yes that technically would be possible.

The only thing I would say is that we don't know for definite that Picnic Broadband is going to happen, remember its only a rumour.

I would be willing to bet a 100 at the bookies on it though from what we have seen via PM etc.

I think ideally one site that covered both would be great, but.... its a big decision and a lot of work to do, but we are willing to do whatever it takes (within reason) to help both Sky Users and PBBusers.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Yes that technically would be possible.

The only thing I would say is that we don't know for definite that Picnic Broadband is going to happen, remember its only a rumour.

I would be willing to bet a 100 at the bookies on it though from what we have seen via PM etc.

I think ideally one site that covered both would be great, but.... its a big decision and a lot of work to do, but we are willing to do whatever it takes (within reason) to help both Sky Users and PBBusers.
      Yes of course i understand it still being a rumor, i agree one forum would be a great community for users if we are easynet service for support.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

The more I think about this the possibilities are enormous.

We would have to have one database with 2 different home pages. On signup you would select which provider and then the forum redraws itself on that basis.

ie you would not see the Sky Broadband / TV forums, but the Picnic Broadband ones. All of the other stuff, ie tutorials and email etc would have to be rewritten, but seems as we are going for HTML style instead of forum generated, would not be to hard to do.

We will have to look into the possibilities, but I think it would be possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast