Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Router hacking posts

This is a discussion on Router hacking posts within the Website news forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Since we launched skyuser.co.uk one of our primary aims was to encourage Sky Broadband staff taking part on here, helping ...

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Router hacking posts

Since we launched skyuser.co.uk one of our primary aims was to encourage Sky Broadband staff taking part on here, helping their customers.

To this end, the Admins have made the decision not to promote the router firmware update any further, which breaks the T and C's of your broadband agreement.

However we will not be deleting the post, but have now locked it so no more discussion can take place on this subject. Please do not start a new thread on the subject for obvious reasons.

I hope that you understand why we have made this decision, and that we are taking the best interest of the Sky customer and looking after the future development of this website.

Any further posts asking for information or how to etc. will be removed.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 14-09-06 at 01:08 AM.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

2. Advertisement
      mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      ...which breaks the T and C's of your broadband agreement.
      That's what they said is it? IMHO it doesn't break the Ts and Cs any more than installing Linux on a PC that was purchased with an OEM version of XP. Looks like their bully-boy tactics have got to you. Not giving them access breaks the agreement but not the upgrade itself.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

fyi

Sky have not asked us to remove anything, i feel really, if they were genuinely upset with us, they have numerous contact methods available, which they have chosen not to use.

The fact that we have had no contact at all, regarding this issue suggests to me that they did not want to take the matter any further.

However as we would like to work with Sky on helping users, the admins decided that it would be in the best interests of our moving forward with Sky. Hence why we locked the post and did not delete it.

ONCE AGAIN SKY HAVE NOT ASKED US TO REMOVE THIS INFORMATION AND NO BULLYBOY TACTICS HAVE BEEN USED

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

zrerz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Rhyl
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Q router
      Sky TV: Sky Q silver
      Thanks
      I think you've made the correct decision there, very similar to cable -forum (who advise on NTL-Telewest problems).
      Once Sky appreciate what this forum is about, I'm sure, if it's not already happened) that they will either respond more favourably to help requests, or even offer to give the board founders/mods quicker inside access as and when the needed help by Sky members on this forum present themselves.
      Dave

Methanoid is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      Since we launched skyuser.co.uk one of our primary aims was to encourage Sky Broadband staff taking part on here, helping their customers.
      Well, for me as with a fair few of the other 500 users I would see this site as a place for users to help each other.

Is there any sign of Sky staff taking part?

Do you know many similar sites where ISP staff DO take part? ADSLGuide? Ask those Plusnet reps... oh there aren't any?

ISPs prefer to deal direct with customers and that's what they employ their staff for. If they honestly thought forums for support were good they'd have one!

For me you just highlighted a desire to dump the one thing that brought me here in the first place. I want INDEPENDENT info. I don't want to be locked to Sky's kit. Tied great is great for people without the knowledge to configure their own kit.

Dumbed down Britain strikes again. Oh dearie me!

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Dave

Thank you for your support, that is exactly what we want to be seen as:

1) a help site for the users, by the users, with interaction from Sky

2) Service Status and announcements - anything that will benefit Sky customers

However we are not going to pretend everthing is rosy for Sky, hence the Sky unhappiness forum, this is a forum setup for people who have a genuine gripe and can post constructively. Hopefully then Sky can say Joe Bloggs needs to do this to resolve it.

We have no plans to be puppets for Sky, we will remain Independent, and if Sky ask to take control or buy us out, we will decline.

At the moment we are looking into the possibility of advertising other ISP's as well (banners) - We have already been approached regarding this angle.

What would not be beneficial to this site or to Sky, is if people use this forum as a place to throw their toys out of the pram.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 14-09-06 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added extra info

Thanks
      Blog Entries

For me you just highlighted a desire to dump the one thing that brought me here in the first place. I want INDEPENDENT info. I don't want to be locked to Sky's kit. Tied great is great for people without the knowledge to configure their own kit.
      We have not dumped anything, yes we are independent, and yes we will help Sky users. Please see my above post for maybe a better explantion.

If you would like to suggest ways we can improve etc, please post in the Speak to the Staff forum, we encourage and act on what people want to see.

In fact we are looking for people to help running this site, if you would like to get involved, please PM me. This way you have got a chance to help shape skyuser.co.uk and what it is about.

Ged

mossywell is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSMEPK
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Ah, now that is indeed a valid reason to curtail threads that tell people how to knacker thair routers! I was merely refering to the comment about (paraphrasing) breach of contract. FWIW, it is the act of not allowing Sky to have access to the router that breaches contract. So, pouring water over it or throwing it at the neighbour's cat (or indeed disconnecting it) are breaches.

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Is there any sign of Sky staff taking part?
      Yes - unofficially

Sky themselves have recorded the most visits to this site by IP - so they know what we want to achieve.

Do you know many similar sites where ISP staff DO take part? ADSLGuide? Ask those Plusnet reps... oh there aren't any?

That is our goal to be unique

ISPs prefer to deal direct with customers and that's what they employ their staff for. If they honestly thought forums for support were good they'd have one!
      We have been told Sky are setting up their own forum

Dumbed down Britain strikes again. Oh dearie me!
      Not quite, we aint deleted anything yet Bear with us while we aim to achieve our goals

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Deffo a good idea with what you have done, and yeh there is some staff on here
      Last edited by The Doctor; 15-09-06 at 03:35 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast