Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Watch Out - Talk Talk are about

This is a discussion on Watch Out - Talk Talk are about within the Website news forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Originally Posted by Chug a Bug Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. This is common practise with CPS services but ...

Simon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLWW
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 2
      Router: ASUS DSL-AC68U
      Sky TV: Youview
      Thanks

Re: Watch Out - Talk Talk are about

Quote Originally Posted by Chug a Bug View Post
      Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. This is common practise with CPS services but it's the first time I've heard of it with BB. Once you sign up to someone else's line they can block you from using cheap overseas call providers for instance and Carrier Pre Select services - and it's perfectly legal. Why? Because they're not making any money out of you - they want you to use their (premium) services instead. Bulldog used to do this.

Thats why I keep a BT line - it may cost slightly more per month but BT are forbidden from blocking you from using any other services on their line (they're also quicker to sort out problems on your line.) Other companies are not tied in this way.
      You can still route calls via BT using 1280 before any number over riding anything your chosen CPS provider put in place. However I'm not sure how this would work where line rental is with another company.

2. Advertisement
      pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Cool Re: Watch Out - Talk Talk are about

Aye oop (Thats Yorkshire for hi)

First let me thank NewsreadeR for sorting out my account. Dunno what happened to it but I couldn't log in. Anyway tis sorted now, thanks NewsreadeR.

Okay a bit more on this talk talk thingy. I have recently been browbeaten by a door to door salesman to move my line, lock stock and barrel over to Talk Talk. The guy siad that They would guarantee that my next bill with them would be lower than it was with BT or they would give me a 1000. The guy also assured me, and I did make the point several times, that moving to them would NOT affect my Sky broadband. I have tried to log on to the Talk Talk web site using my telephone number and my email address that I supplied to them but so far have not succeeded in getting into my account. Talk Talk have taken everything over including the line rental. So my question is:- Is this going to affect my Sky broadband?

The other little non related problem that I have is now that my Sky broadband is on and working (very few glitches so far) my Sky telly box has packed up. I think it's more likely to be the dish that has been knocked out of alignment by the kids clobbering it with a football and I'm pretty confident I can get it back. My second question is:- If I cant sort out my telly and decide to cancel my Sky satellite account what happens to my 10 a month broadband?

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

You have to be a Sky TV subscriber to get Sky Broadband, hope that answers your question.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I thought your phone line had to be BT as well??

Alan b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD
      Thanks

No you have to have a BT phone line, who you are with for your phone services is up to you.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

to pete.i, if talktalk now own the line sky bb won't work....this is causing all sorts of grief as loads of people who previously only had the call plan with talktalk are now finding their bb not working from us as the line has switched without telling anyone!!

had one customer tell me he had a talktalk router turn up after 6 months of great connection with sky - so id defo stay clear. even if it costs u a little more it's nothing but trouble

EDIT: and your line rental has to be paid to BT direct for sky bb to work

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12