Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Two cautioned over wi-fi 'theft'

This is a discussion on Two cautioned over wi-fi 'theft' within the Website news forums, part of the SkyUser Announcements category; Hmmm... I was just wondering, how it could be claimed that wireless signals were specifically someones property. Surely if you ...

Lazarus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: STHYTHE
      Broadband ISP: Mid from 5 Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Two cautioned over wi-fi 'theft'

Hmmm... I was just wondering, how it could be claimed that wireless signals were specifically someones property. Surely if you are broadcasting them outside of your home they are then in the public domain.

If they are unencrypted then they are not specific to that person and they would be, essentially broadcasting to the public. Don't you need a license for that?

The debate continues....
      Asus P6T Deluxe - i7 920 @3.6GHz - 750GB Samsung F1 - 6GB OCZ Platinum 1600MHz - XFX GTX260 'Black Edition' - Tagan 1100W PSU - TT 'Big Water' 760i - Antec 1200 - Windows 7 64-bit - Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

ADSL Link..............Down .............Up
      Connection Speed..9215 kbps......606 kbps
      Line Attenuation... 20.0 db..........11.9 db
      Noise Margin........ 20.9 db..........22.0db

2. Advertisement
      PeteC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sheffield
      Broadband ISP: cable
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

spot on ... im my opinion if you do that then you are giving people permission to use it.

If the guy had just pulled up and used his laptop he's have got away with it - afterall it's nay on impossible to trace a machine by mac ( the adverage user i mean) it was the suspicious activites he did that were his downfall

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Whoops I've done that! Although I didn't put cardboard round the windows and wasn't doing anything malicious, I was on holiday in Dorset when I decided to travelling on to North Devon and was desperate to find a B&B down there! Well sitting in the caravan I thought mmm if only I could get onto Google, well armed with my laptop and a 10 minute drive down the road job done!! and no harm to anyone.
      But do agree people should secure there networks and don't worry I will think twice next time!

AWW
      AWW is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: East Kilbride,WSEKI
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i ahve done it once or twice lol my dad was looking at houses and i was with him we saw a house we liked and i opend the lappy and found a network ! loged onto it lol and looked at the house lol
      - Andrew W -

jewkesy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Fazeley
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

To be honest I'm not sure what to think of all this. Part of me thinks that there are people out there who are being taken advantage of, as they know nothing about security.

Then there are those people who don't secure their router yet understand that the unknown MAC address connected to their router isn't them and then realise it's all too late.

Both of these people will then complain to the hills that they've been violated and their privacy put at risk.

And there are those people with an ounce of common sense who secure themselves, that have no sympathy for those who can't be bothered to read the manual for their new router which they've just brought/signed into a contract with.

So lets say to the masses: "SECURE YOUR ROUTER. YOU DON'T WANT SOME SCRIPT KIDDIE PACKET-SNIFFING YOU WHEN YOU'RE LOOKING AT PR0N!"

I feel better now
      "Man who walk through airport door sideways is going to Bangkok..."

Hughjarse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Stealing is stealing, The wireless is simply a connection. Using someones bandwidth whether they are secured or not has nothing to do with it. Ill be hearing next that because the young girl was wearing a mini skirt she deserved to be raped! Or if you leave your bike in the back garden and dont secure it you deserve to get it nicked.

Its like abstract and concrete nouns, just because one isint physical doesn't mean it doesnt exist; ie just because you cant see the bandwidth doesn't make it fair to steal.

ALTHOUGH... I was connecting to neighbours connection for about 6 months until I realised one day that I was on the internet and hadn't switched my router on!!
      My Bot Aint that big

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12