Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Article: Port forwarding - Setting up Port forwarding (use existing & set up custom services)

This is a discussion on Article: Port forwarding - Setting up Port forwarding (use existing & set up custom services) within the vBCms Comments forums, part of the category; just not helpful at all. you need to assume none of us are IT experts. thats WHY we came to ...

Un_Known is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: sky hub unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      just not helpful at all.
      you need to assume none of us are IT experts. thats WHY we came to this page!
      dose that help?

for example.
      how does a non-expert know what http,ftp,etc etc etc are? let alone the rest.
      is it for a pareticulat game? p2p? or so on,as these seem to use differeing protocols (TCP,UDP, etc)
      Last edited by Un_Known; 17-07-14 at 04:53 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,137 Times in 2,016 Posts

Re: Article: Port forwarding - Setting up Port forwarding (use existing & set up custom service

Forwarding ports on any router can be a headache for even the most experienced professional, let alone someone doing it one their own at home.

This specific article is one of several that are designed to work together to help resolve any potential problems you have. However some degree of assumption has to be made.

If someone really does need to know about HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, FTPS and all the other acronyms used within the port forwarding area, there are probably some very good articles elsewhere on the Internet. Without searching for them I don't know which one would suit you best, but I am sure that someone could direct you if you would make a suitable post on the forum.

Someone who is setting up a port forwarding on a Sky router should have a specific purpose in mind, such as setting up a NAS. This will provide them with a specific list of ports and what types of ports that need to be forwarded. So normally such knowledge is not going to be required. If you need more information that that, then you are likely to be someone who is building a server or something a lot more technical that a mere humble beginner.

Since there are a host of different devices which may require personalised port forwarding at home we can't provide a definitive list for them all. However our members have a huge amount of experience and a huge variety of their own devices to play with and test things in their home environments. If you are having a specific issue with something, please do create a new thread in a suitable section. One of the sections might be under the heading 'Sky Router'.

Sky Router

I didn't want us getting into the potential risks too much about which ports to or not to forward in general. So as a group we have not gone into this, keeping just to the specifics of the Sky Hub and how to do things. Debates on port forwarding (i.e. Pros and Cons) are welcome on the main forum and will always be subject to change with different security risks.

I mentioned other articles which work together. Please feel free to browse the 2 pages of articles to see them all, but as a quick guidance, do look at these too:

IP Address Reservation

Port forwarding - What is Port forwarding about

Port forwarding - UPnP

WAN Setup DMZ Server explained

Dynamic DNS

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

bubblegun is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: near Glasgow
      Broadband ISP: Sky ADSL2+ ~6Mb
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: SkyQ & mini box
      Thanks

Re: Article: Port forwarding - Setting up Port forwarding (use existing & set up custom service

Quote Originally Posted by Un_Known View Post
      just not helpful at all.
      you need to assume none of us are IT experts. thats WHY we came to this page!
      dose that help?

for example.
      is it for a pareticulat game? p2p? or so on,as these seem to use differeing protocols (TCP,UDP, etc)
      This forum isn't an official forum.
      It requires some kind of technical knowledge to find it to begin with. The forum for idiots is Home - Sky Community
      although this forum can be a better help if you don't ask idiotic questions like,
      Quote Originally Posted by Un_Known View Post
      What is http? FYI.

Have you every heard of google? It will answer all these questions and others like these.

If you have a specific problem then please post a new thread as the OP on this thread seems to have a rudimentary knowledge of these types of things.

Am I grumpy? It must be too much Spice Girls , .

madhatter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Using sr101 modem. I have set up port forwarding to work with Plane Plotter, which works successfully for a day or two then goes pear-shaped. In an effort to try and resolve the issue i noticed that i could set my own IP address, which i did, but did not affect the issue. Trying to revert back to the original IP address something must have gone wrong and now i just cannot get the modem/router to function correctly. Luckily i had kept the original Sagem version which does seen to work with the original IP settings. Have I bricked the SR router? Is there any way that I can reset this? I have tried the recommended put aside for 4 hours and re-connect, used the reset button and connected using the ethernet cable - all to no avail. Help !! Many thanks

Thanks

In order to 'Brick' a router you would normally need to fail to load a new firmware.

If the SR101 is unresponsive I would suggest that you switch the SR101 on. Allow it to settle down (2-3 minutes) and then press the RESET button on the rear for a good 10 seconds.

This will wipe the router an put it back to its default settings.

Can I suggest that when you try to do you port forwarding again that you reserve an IP Address for your Plane Plotter before you set up the port forwarding? This should help.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

madhatter is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Article: Port forwarding - Setting up Port forwarding (use existing & set up custom service

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      In order to 'Brick' a router you would normally need to fail to load a new firmware.

If the SR101 is unresponsive I would suggest that you switch the SR101 on. Allow it to settle down (2-3 minutes) and then press the RESET button on the rear for a good 10 seconds.

This will wipe the router an put it back to its default settings.

Can I suggest that when you try to do you port forwarding again that you reserve an IP Address for your Plane Plotter before you set up the port forwarding? This should help.
      Joy of Joys ! I,m back on the SR101. Whilst your suggestion did not work first time around, I must have contrived to do something different the next as I am up and running. Many thanks.

Thanks

No worries. Sometimes it helps to have someone give you some confidence in the kit.

Ontap is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      No worries. Sometimes it helps to have someone give you some confidence in the kit.
      i just followed your procedure and forwarded port 32400 to my sky hub and am now able finally to connect to my mac ( PMS ) from outside of my local network on iPad . many many tx have been trying to sort this for weeks.
      Scubbie likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12