Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Extending the DG834?

This is a discussion on Extending the DG834? within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I want to extend the wireless range of the 834, so I got a Netgear rangemax, WPN824, but it says ...

boomish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Extending the DG834?

I want to extend the wireless range of the 834, so I got a Netgear rangemax, WPN824, but it says i have to put the 834 into bridged mode, which I have found out how to do but I can't seem to log into the router to change it to modem status.
      can someone either tell me how to extend the 834 easily or how to get this rangemax working.

Many thanks, I am amazed no one on here has asked before, well I can't seem to find it in a search.

Cheers

Al
      bridge mode Netgear DG834 to stop double-routing, but how?? - Networking - Forums - www.atomicmpc.com.au
      "Once the DG834 would have been set into bridge mode, the WPN824 would need to be setup to do the login.

This should work: (Short version.. bug me if it does not work.)

Connect the computer to the DG834.
      Go to http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=mode.htm , use the username admin, password password if prompted.
      Swap to modem mode and apply.
      In ADSL settings make sure you have LLC-Based, 8, 35. (going from the top) And apply.

Connect a cable between the DG834 and the internet port of the WPN824.
      Connect your computer to one of the LAN ports of the WPN824.
      Open http://192.168.1.1/ . Use the wizard to detect the internet connection. SHould detect PPPoE and prompt you for your username and pass for the ISP.
      Enter the details as needed, apply.

You should be right to browse again.

About the port forwarding, there is a rules or port forwarding menu item on the left. Do port forwarding as required for the game or torrents..
      "

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by boomish View Post
      I can't seem to log into the router to change it to modem status.
      I don't think the router has this functionality - well certainly not visibly. If it is there but hidden then possibly you may be able to use a URL injection to gain access?

You refer several times to the DG834. The Sky router is a DG834GT which is a different model. It also has Sky firmware. Maybe someone who has a standard DG834GT or has flashed to Netgear firmware can tell you whether the feature you want is available.

Hoagie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gedling (EMGDDLI)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      There's a fairly easy way to do this.

Connect to the rangemax by ethernet and turn off it's DHCP server - most routers will let you do this. Set it's wireless network as you like it. Set it's IP to be different from the sky one (192.168.1.250 should be good). Basically you're disabling everything except the wireless to ethernet bridging functionality here.

Now disconnect from the PC and plug an ethernet cable between the two routers. Set the PC to connect to the rangemax. It should then use all the routing of the sky one and just the wireless capabilities of the rangemax.

Exchange:
      Thanks
      @Hoagie As his instructions were telling him to put the ADSL router in bridge mode I assumed that maybe the WPN824 wouldn't allow DHCP to be turned off? But then bridged mode would normally be used to join two LANs.

I don't think I've understood what boomish is trying to do as he talked about extending the range of the 834 (i.e. repeater mode). Hopefully unlike me you have understood and your advice is what he's looking for

@boomish let us know how you get on
      Last edited by Saturday; 16-12-06 at 02:12 PM.

boomish is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Isleworth
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys, well I was just following intructions from the netgear CD for the WPN824. I have to put the sky 834 at the front of the house so it won't reach my garden studio.

I shall attempt Hoagie's reply but the thing is I wanted to plug my PC into the rangemax as its on the other side of the room (halfway to garden) and I have already run 1 ethernet cable under the floor, this way I can cable from the 834 to the rangemax then cable direct into the PC as well as extend the wireless, I am doing it with my old D-Link 614 already but for some reason my Mac in my office has difficuly seeing this, I really need soemthing stronger, maybe I should have got another 834, but the rangemax is designed for max range and difficult obstacles etc etc..

weird I can't belive how difficult these things are, why oh why..

I shall def let you know how I get on..
      Last edited by boomish; 16-12-06 at 04:38 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks
      If the rangemax has multiple ethernet sockets then that setup should be no problem.

From reading the title of the link above, it looks like just what's needed.

Jonathon28 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Bridging Sky Router (Netgear D834GT) and Netgear DG834G

Hi... i have just switched to Sky broadband. I am wanting to extend the wireless range of the sky router and basically bridge them wirelessly so i can have one router downstairs and one upstairs and still be able to share files/folders/printers between each computer no matter which one of the 2 routers they are connected to.

Any ideas?
      Thanks
      Jon

surfer_dude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Bridging Sky Router (Netgear D834GT) and Netgear DG834G

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon28 View Post
      Hi... i have just switched to Sky broadband. I am wanting to extend the wireless range of the sky router and basically bridge them wirelessly so i can have one router downstairs and one upstairs and still be able to share files/folders/printers between each computer no matter which one of the 2 routers they are connected to.

Any ideas?
      Thanks
      Jon
      hey Jon,

did you manage to bridge these two routers wirelessly?
      I have a similar set up to you , however when I receive my sky router DG834GT if I cannot use a wireless bridge mode on it (WDS ; wireless distribution system) I will have to extract user/pass/connection settings and use my USR 9108 and USR 9106 as both these wireless routers have this WDS feature.

I will then be extending my wireless range in the house and be able to share resources (hopefully) between desktops and laptops.

Any help or info on the WDS feature for the netgear DG834GT for wireless bridging would be appreciated !
      cheers

surfer_dude

Thanks

Re: Extending the DG834?

It's easy if you can run a cable between the two. That way you just need to disable DHCP on the NON-Sky router, make sure it's IP isn't the same as the sky one and plug the two together with Cat5 cable. You can then connect to either access point and the sky one handles the internet gateway. Machines on the two wireless networks can talk to each other.

But if you can't run a cable between the two then the sky one won't do the job. there's no WDS support. See the tech forum for how to use a NON-Sky router on sky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)