Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

TL-WR940N - Unable to change DHCP Settings

This is a discussion on TL-WR940N - Unable to change DHCP Settings within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi All, I am trying to set up a Smart DNS on a new TP Link Router (TL-WR940N) that I ...

deyno1903 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

TL-WR940N - Unable to change DHCP Settings

Hi All,
      I am trying to set up a Smart DNS on a new TP Link Router (TL-WR940N) that I purchased today. The router will be a secondary router to my Sky Q router. I have an Ethernet cable from Ethernet point 1 on my main router (sky), going into the WAN point on my TP router.
      I am following instructions 4.7.1 (https://static.tp-link.com/2017/2017...940N_V6_UG.pdf) and I am stuck at the first point.
      I am logged into my router and trying to change the DHCP settings. The server is set to enabled by default, which is what I want, but I am unable to input any primary DNS settings or start IP address. They are sort of greyed out and won’t let me edit anything in that section which would enable me to set up a smart DNS.
      Basically what I am trying to do is set up a Roku streaming stick to enable me to watch and download U.S TV apps. I have read that you can not set up a VPN/Smart DNS server on the Roku stick and the only way to do it is to set a VPN directly to the router.
      My Sky router doesn't allow what I'm trying to achieve in setting a VPN up on the router so I have purchased a secondary router which allows that, but now I'm having issues changing the DHCP settings on my TP router.

2. Advertisement
      skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Billion 8800NL V1(bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: TL-WR940N - Unable to change DHCP Settings

why not just get your own modem and router or modem/combined router and bypass the sky router.....

I use my own kit for vpn inbound etc for this very reason.

bear in mind any self used router needs to support option 61 or it won't work with sky fibre.
      Billion 8800NL modem (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for my ECI line stats

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei

deyno1903 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2TB
      Thanks

That sounds perfect for what I need/want but I wouldn’t know how to do that. I have basic knowledge, but anything like you’ve described, I wil struggle with

skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - Billion 8800NL V1(bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

it's really not that hard.
      1) buy a vdsl modem that works in bridge mode. e.g. 8800nl v1, vmg8324, vmg3925, hg612 etc. this will provide a sync up between you and the cabinet/openreach network
      2) if you want to keep it simple buy a decent Asus router and install merlin firnware (takes a few minutes). then configure the wan port which will take a of 5 mins and you are done.

yes there is an investment but if you want to get round a sky router this is a way.

or if you have a spare pc with 2 network cards you can use Opnsense like me. modem still required.

happy to help by pm if you want to go down this road.
      Last edited by skyeci; 11-06-18 at 07:51 AM.
      Billion 8800NL modem (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for my ECI line stats

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,649 Times in 1,610 Posts

The only way I have managed to get something like this working is to use the DMZ of the Sky router. You will find a guide to doing this here - Using the DLink DIR613. This in effect gives you 2 separate networks.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.