Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like Tree1Likes

Netgear Nighthawk

This is a discussion on Netgear Nighthawk within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Originally Posted by marjohn56 Just looked at the Netgear, it is a single port modem/router, yes it can be run ...

davoodoo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Netgear Nighthawk

Quote Originally Posted by marjohn56 View Post
      Just looked at the Netgear, it is a single port modem/router, yes it can be run in modem only mode but then you'll still need to make the Linksys support option61;

There is one way of doing it though, you could just plug the output of the netgear into one of the Lynksys lan ports, turn off all dhcp on the Lynksys and just use it a s a WiFi access point, bit expensive and a waste to do that though.

MarJohn56, Hi, further to what you have said regarding the Netgear DM200, Have i decoded what you gents have mentioned correctly by stating:
      - Run the DM200 in modem mode. Once it is in mode i should not bother with setting up option61 on the modem.
      - get a router which is either able to setup the option61 on it stock firmware or via dd-wrt.

and the is it.

I have also looked at your recommendation for BT Openreach modem both huwaei or ECI. I am not sure which one would suit me best. How would one make a decision?

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      skyeci is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: ECI CAB - 8800nl v1 (bridge mode) + i5 Qotom OPNSense with IPV6
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

if you want detailed line stats a broadcom device would be best. lantiq based modems usually provide some stats but much easier with broadcom. if on a huawei cab then would defo go broadcom.

do you know if your cab is huawei or eci. if not you can look it up here https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm
      billion 8800nl V1 (bridge mode)
      Qotom i5 Opnsense with IPV6
      Asus RT-AC88U - as wap

ECI CAB- G.INP disabled 8th April 2016

click for line stats by pi3/ECI CAB

click for line stats by Pi3/Huawei CAB

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davoodoo View Post
      MarJohn56, Hi, further to what you have said regarding the Netgear DM200, Have i decoded what you gents have mentioned correctly by stating:
      - Run the DM200 in modem mode. Once it is in mode i should not bother with setting up option61 on the modem.
      - get a router which is either able to setup the option61 on it stock firmware or via dd-wrt.

and the is it.

I have also looked at your recommendation for BT Openreach modem both huwaei or ECI. I am not sure which one would suit me best. How would one make a decision?

Thanks in advance.
      Correct. The DM200 is set to Bridge mode. The only settings required there is the VLAN ID, it should already be set for the UK, if not it it's 101

Then any router that can support option61, either native or using third party firmware can be used. The only caveat on that is IPv6 - although any router than can do option61 will get you an IPv4 address that does not mean you will get an IPv6 address and prefix, so do your research on this forum and you should be able to find something that will do both.

SkyECI's post should allow you to find out the type of cab you have.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Exchange:
      Thanks

MarJohn56, thank you for a speedy response.
      I will invest in a DM200 then and look for a good solid router which does option61.

I will keep this post updated in a due course.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi thanks for taking the time, it did not provide any useful information once I put in my partial telephone number. mainly it could be due to FTTC was installed and activated last week (early stages); fibre is due to be activated on my line on Jan-02/18.

If I could find a new BTO modem which fits the purpose and cheaper than amazon's asking price of 39 for the DM200 then I will go for the BTO modem.

a quick question, would the BTO modem be plug'n'play or is it going to be the case of requiring very little configurations? finally how old are these BTO modems technologywise? i have decided to go for 38mbps fibre with SKY, do such BTO modem have maximum speed limitations?

Again Thank you

marjohn56 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cricklewood
      Broadband ISP: ZEN
      Router: Billion 8800NL(Modem Bridge) + OPNsense 19.7.b
      Sky TV: Sky Q 2Tb+Mini
      Thanks

BTO modems such as the HG612 will work quite happily at 80/20. When and if we see G.Fast then it will be a new modem anyway and yes, just plug it in, unless someone has been messing they are set to just work. If you wish to do modem stats etc, uploading your data to MDWS then you will need to flash it etc, note you can only do that on the Huawei HG612, the ECI version means getting out a soldering iron!

If your FTTC cabinet was installed last week there is an almost 100% chance it will be Huawei, unless OR have dug up an old ECI cab!

Plenty of HG612's on Ebay, MAKE SURE IT'S a HUAWEI!!

Router wise, Asus and Billion are good choices, I use an older Billion 8800nl purely as a bridge and looped back for wifi at the same time. Coupled with a pfSense box it's a perfect combo, however it's not for all users.
      Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to marjohn56 For This Useful Post:

davoodoo (19-12-17)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks again, as to the "Huawei HG612" are they locked or unlocked? do I need to worry about that? Having looked at ebay there is a mention of "unlocked".

As to "somebody messing about with the BTO
      Huawei HG612" surely it can be reset? Cant it?

- - - Updated - - -

Here is one for example::

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Openreach-Huawei-HG612-3B-VDSL-FTTC-Fibre-Modem-Same-Day-Dispatch/201979760989?epid=2234529781&hash=item2f06ee915d:gLUAAOSwSzFZX8fo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12