Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Advice please - NON SKY FIBRE

This is a discussion on Advice please - NON SKY FIBRE within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I know this is not to do with sky, but I have had excellent help in the past from members ...

Henhead is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Holyhead
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: 2 x Sky+ HD Box
      Thanks

Advice please - NON SKY FIBRE

I know this is not to do with sky, but I have had excellent help in the past from members regarding internet issues here when I did have sky broadband.

I am on Plusnet unlimited fibre extra (72/20 max)

I changed over from sky standard broadband to plusnet March 2015 and was getting speeds of 60/15.

Then January 2016 I had my telephone line moved outside as it crossed over a plot house that was being built. The line what I can gather was cut and then extended by about 15 feet and spliced together in a junction box on my wall.

My internet was fine but then about 3 weeks later I lost 20meg on my download and was getting speeds of around 40/15 even though my hub5 showed it was still connecting at 62/15. I phoned up but was told it was within my threshold and therefore they would not report a fault.

For the past 5 days now my I have been getting speeds of 40/.05 even though my router shows my upload is syncing at 15.

I phoned up and they did some quick tests and my line showed no faults, I have requested an engineer and they will do some more diagnostics to see if this is necessary and if they send on and find no fault I am liable for the costs.

I have now done some tests of my own.

I have used the master socket and a new filter, changed my hub5 for the openreach modem and the plus net router and changed all cables and am still getting the same issues. So I am confident its not an internal fault.

I also performed test3 on btwholesale (changed username) and it still came back poor (pic attached)

I have attached some pics to give more technical info.

Advice please - NON SKY FIBRE-2016-11-01-4-.jpg

Advice please - NON SKY FIBRE-2016-11-01-7-.jpg

Advice please - NON SKY FIBRE-capture.jpg

Advice please - NON SKY FIBRE-capture2.jpg

2. Advertisement
      pete.i is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01757
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Freesat/etc
      Thanks

Re: Advice please - NON SKY FIBRE

Quote Originally Posted by Henhead View Post
      I know this is not to do with sky, but I have had excellent help in the past from members regarding internet issues here when I did have sky broadband.

I am on Plusnet unlimited fibre extra (72/20 max)

I changed over from sky standard broadband to plusnet March 2015 and was getting speeds of 60/15.

Then January 2016 I had my telephone line moved outside as it crossed over a plot house that was being built. The line what I can gather was cut and then extended by about 15 feet and spliced together in a junction box on my wall.

My internet was fine but then about 3 weeks later I lost 20meg on my download and was getting speeds of around 40/15 even though my hub5 showed it was still connecting at 62/15. I phoned up but was told it was within my threshold and therefore they would not report a fault.

For the past 5 days now my I have been getting speeds of 40/.05 even though my router shows my upload is syncing at 15.

I phoned up and they did some quick tests and my line showed no faults, I have requested an engineer and they will do some more diagnostics to see if this is necessary and if they send on and find no fault I am liable for the costs.

I have now done some tests of my own.

I have used the master socket and a new filter, changed my hub5 for the openreach modem and the plus net router and changed all cables and am still getting the same issues. So I am confident its not an internal fault.

I also performed test3 on btwholesale (changed username) and it still came back poor (pic attached)

I have attached some pics to give more technical info.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-11-01 (4).jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	6288

Name:	2016-11-01 (7).jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	181.7 KB 
ID:	6289

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	196 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	6290

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Views:	202 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	6291
      I am not with Plusnet or BT for my broadband or telephone line but I do do voluntary work for the RNIB looking after blind and partially sighted people's computers. I was called to a lady who lived 25 miles away who was having similar problems to you. Her line was very noisy so, consequently, this was affecting her broadband. I plugged her router into the BT test socket along with a wired phone that I brought with me and it was still noisy. I first phoned plusnet who did some tests and said that as far as they were concerned everything was working okay. They told me to ring the line provider (BT). They did some tests also and said they could find no faults. I told them they would have to send an engineer and BT told me that if they couldn't find a fault then the lady would be liable for the costs, 150 I think it was. She wasn't prepared to pay that if that was what was required (I don't blame her for that but that is another story.) The upshot was that I attended this fault for about two weeks trying to get one or the other to admit that there was a fault until, eventually, I had to say that there nothing else I could do. I was bandied back and forth between Plusnet and BT and as I wassn't prepared to climb the pole so I had to admit defeat.

I know this doesn't help you but in my experience it's always best to have your line and your broadband with the same company. Having them with different companies means that each provider can, and will, play you off against each other. Basically good luck with this you will need it.

seawright is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Advice please - NON SKY FIBRE

As your upload speed is so much slower than your connection speed I would be concerned that there is activity on your network that you are not aware of. To ensure that the speed test is not being compromised by other network activity turn off the router's wi-fi and disconnect all the network connections to your router except for those connecting to your modem and to your PC. Run Firefox and connect to the speed test website ensuring that there are no other windows or tabs open. Before running the speed test open Task Manager and check that there is minimal network activity.

If there is a marked improvement in upload speed you should rerun the speed test after gradually re-connecting other devices and starting your normal applications.

If there isn't any improvement check again with another known good network cable between your PC and router.

If there is still no improvement download the image for a live Linux CD of DVD and burn it to the appropriate media. Boot from this disk and run the speed test again thereby ensuring that there isn't any malware running that could hijack your network connection.