Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

3rd Party Routers.

This is a discussion on 3rd Party Routers. within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Need some advice. Ok so i have the SR102 Sky Hub wifi router, it's awful for video game streaming between ...

ashman87vg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

3rd Party Routers.

Need some advice.

Ok so i have the SR102 Sky Hub wifi router, it's awful for video game streaming between my xbox one and windows 10 laptop. I tried powerline adapters but this didn't really improve the streaming. After reading plenty online it would seem that a 5ghz connection is good for streaming. Now problem as you will know is the sky hub does not have 5ghz capability and i really dont want to pay 60 for the new SKY Q hub.

Is there a way i can connect a 3rd party 5ghz capable wifi router to my Sky SR102 router which will allow me to use the 5ghz wifi? I've seen threads of using wireshark ect but i'd rather just keep the sky router connected and have a second wifi point which is receiving my ISP through the sky router.

Will i need to turn off the Sky routers Wifi? So i could only use the 3rd party's wifi? I've seen online that you can disable DHCP on the 3rd party router and just connect the routers together with an Ethernet cable?

Hope this makes sense just don't want to spend the money on a 3rd party router without seeking advice.

Thank you.

My D/L speeds are 55mpbs and U/P 35mpbs.

P.S I know wired is best but i do not have a chance routing a cable around the house.

2. Advertisement
      BurnIT is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: 3rd Party Routers.

I do that.
      I have one router connected to the Line and providing a 2.4Ghz network for those devices that can't use 5Ghz and a second router wired to the first and providing 5GHz wireless network. Obviously the whole 5Ghz network is sharing one wired connection to the WAN, but that is plenty fast enough and anyway faster than the line is.