Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Like Tree3Likes

[Guide] How to connect DSL-N66U to Sky Fibre

This is a discussion on [Guide] How to connect DSL-N66U to Sky Fibre within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; After trying everything to get this to detect the line I decided that it may be faulty as there has ...

I1983 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01905
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: [Guide] How to connect DSL-N66U to Sky Fibre

After trying everything to get this to detect the line I decided that it may be faulty as there has been no activity (DSL Light not flashed once). So I took it back for an exchange only to have the replacement do exactly the same.

I have tried both the confirmed working firmwares, I have reset the modem by holding down the reset button for at least 10 seconds. I have left it connected to the DSL line for over an hour to see if it at least notices that it is actually connected.

The DSL light has not flashed once on this replacement either.

I plan on calling Asus Tech Support tomorrow, but I would be grateful of any other tips or suggestions you may have.

2. Advertisement
      JPH
      JPH is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 017048
      Router: Asus DSL N66U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I1983 View Post
      After trying everything to get this to detect the line I decided that it may be faulty as there has been no activity (DSL Light not flashed once). So I took it back for an exchange only to have the replacement do exactly the same.

I have tried both the confirmed working firmwares, I have reset the modem by holding down the reset button for at least 10 seconds. I have left it connected to the DSL line for over an hour to see if it at least notices that it is actually connected.

The DSL light has not flashed once on this replacement either.

I plan on calling Asus Tech Support tomorrow, but I would be grateful of any other tips or suggestions you may have.
      Have you tried connecting directly to the main BT socket with the cover removed using a micro filter.
      Iíll assume that you have your username and password from the sky router via Wireshark also has the Sky router connect to adsl or fibre

fattylewis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: DSL-N66U
      Thanks

Hi, Just a quick heads up. I spent hours last night trying to get mine to work. Tried every single firmware version since asus added sky fibre as an option in the quick setup. I eventually made it work by setting the wan ports mac address to that of the sr102's broadband port's mac address. Now its working great!
      This works for the latest firmware version as well (1.0.8.6)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Tried every single firmware version since asus added sky fibre as an option in the quick setup. I eventually made it work by setting the wan ports mac address to that of the sr102's broadband port's mac address.
      Are you sure you were not just a bit impatient? It can take some time for a router to connect to Sky Fibre as it must wait on the previous IP lease expiring. Some have report taking 30-60 minutes for a connection. Spoofing the MAC overcomes this as it thinks the same router has been connected, so inherits the lease on the IP address with no wait.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

fattylewis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: DSL-N66U
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Are you sure you were not just a bit impatient? It can take some time for a router to connect to Sky Fibre as it must wait on the previous IP lease expiring. Some have report taking 30-60 minutes for a connection. Spoofing the MAC overcomes this as it thinks the same router has been connected, so inherits the lease on the IP address with no wait.
      Ah i wasnt aware of that. I should mention i have a static IP. Would the static IP be bound to the mac address?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Would the static IP be bound to the mac address?
      I am not 100% sure but I think it would.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Shonk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Asus RT-AC88U
      Thanks

its bound to the mac for the duration of the ip lease so 60 mins
      even for static
      Isitme likes this.

chrisf4lc0n is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWDRA
      Router: ASUS DSL-N66U
      Thanks

For those, who have got the static IP:
      1. You do not need to extract user@skydsl|password!
      2. Do not use Wizard.
      3. Go to Advance Settings>WAN and setup everything as you had on your Sky Router including IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway and DNS Servers. Set the VLAN ID to 101, MTU to 1500 and spoof the MAC address to the one you had in your Sky Box.

[Guide] How to connect DSL-N66U to Sky Fibre-1.jpg

4. Go to Advance Settings>Administration>DSL Settings and change VDSL Profile to 17a multimode.

[Guide] How to connect DSL-N66U to Sky Fibre-2.jpg

Once done all that you should be online in no time!

Still to sort out:
      1. Slower Download Connection Speed ~55Mbps instead of ~70Mbps which I had on Sky Box. I reckon calling Sky and telling them that the connection speed has dropped could help...
      2. I have got DHCP Server problems, which could be unrelated, but on WiFi I do not seem to have internet connection, while LAN is fine. It also does not seem to be picking up the connected clients...

Good Luck!

allthegearbutnoidea is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

thank you SOF006 for this very complete walkthrough. I have spent ages trying to find a solution and following your steps made the process very straightforward. I have completed all steps and am using the latest firmware version. unfortunately that is where the challenge has begun. after changing the mtu setting to 1500 and saving the profile, I am not getting a steady "IE" icon. In my case the light is flashing erratically (I left the system in this state for 2hrs to ensure I was not being too impatient) the router main page states that I am connected and I have an IP Address assigned, but it is not possible to access any webpages etc. is there something I have missed / done wrong? would it be possible for someone to help me get to the bottom of this. thank you all very much
      Scubbie likes this.

Claret__Jules is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01282
      Router: Sr102
      Thanks

Hi SOF006.

Thanks for posting this guide. I've just ordered a DSL-N66U from ebay so will be giving this a go. One question I have is around the firmware. Does the latest version of the stock firmware work? I've read that using ASUS routers requires third party firmware to be flashed with Merlin being mentioned in the majority of cases.

Thanks in advance.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456