Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like Tree3Likes

[Guide] How to connect DSL-N66U to Sky Fibre

This is a discussion on [Guide] How to connect DSL-N66U to Sky Fibre within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Originally Posted by SOF006 Not sure whats going on then because mine says something completely different. I have the same ...

asamkv is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSBAL - Balham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: [Guide] How to connect DSL-N66U to Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by SOF006 View Post
      Not sure whats going on then because mine says something completely different.
      I have the same issue, no option for Sky Fibre, but only PPPoE or MER. This might be because my line is still ADSL so only gives me ADSL option.

Would you mind taking a screenshot of your WAN page like pmrs did? That way we can just copy the settings (obviously with our own user/pass) without having to bother with the (broken) wizard.

I'm getting activated for fibre tomorrow, so hoping to put all the info in ready so I don't have to reboot/switch routers and risk DLM dropping my speeds.

Edit: Got it sorted. The router won't show the VDSL options unless it detects the VDSL signal on the line - to do this you have to force it to redetect, rather than just try to select the options.

In reality, the first 3 steps of this guide may not be needed - you do need the latest firmware 1.0.7.0, but mine came with that.

When it came to set up, once the VDSL service was detected, Sky Fibre was shown as an option. Entered user/pass and bosh, all up and running. I DID NOT need to change MTU to 1500 (0 as default reads the setting from the DSLAM which will be 1500 anyway). Probably no harm in manually setting it to 1500 as it's a pretty standard metric and unlikely to change.

As for the performance of the router overall, it's great. The SR102 has very poor WiFi performance. I mean VERY poor, both for range and speeds. And only 2.4GHz.

Where I live I can see around 25-30 APs on the 2.4GHz range, meaning I can't even stream 720p from my lounge to my bedroom (same floor, it's a flat) using the SR102, whereas using the Asus on 5GHz I can seamlessly stream 1080p+ content.

The other benefit of the Asus is that it provides much more detail related to connection stats than the Sky Routers, and also allows me to tweak downstream SNRM manually (on both ADSL and VDSL). Plus it has proper remote management and other bits and bobs like being able to work as a media server.

Whilst the ADSL tweaking is more extensive on the Asus (more SNRM options), on the VDSL side it allows you to set a target SNRM from 5db to around 10db+ (for additional stability).

My standard sync on Fibre is 47Mb@6db, with the Asus I can select a 5db target SNRM giving me 50Mb sync. For the time being I've left it at 6db to measure the error rate (I want to stay on an open DLM profile) but from my brief test at 5db, the lower noise margin doesn't seem to be leading to many more errors and the extra 3Mb downstream is handy.

Very happy with this router, especially WiFi performance.
      Last edited by asamkv; 29-05-14 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Update

2. Advertisement
      foxyloxy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Do the PPP username and password appear anywhere on the router GUI (I would think on WAN) when you have it set for sky fibre?
      TIA

asamkv is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LSBAL - Balham
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

No, it has to be set through the wizard, you can't see the entry on the wan page

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to asamkv For This Useful Post:

foxyloxy (16-07-14)

csgohan4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Asus DSL N66U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I am about to use the DSL N66U to connect to Sky fibre, I note the OP has had problems with CRC errors e.t.c. Do other people report any issues with this modem?

csgohan4 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Asus DSL N66U
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I can verify this is working, however I merely downloaded the latest firmware, as of writing 1.0.7.3, flashed and then connected the modem to the the phone line, gave me an option to select sky fibre from the drop box, put in my username and pass and it works.

No need to fiddle around with the settings. Haven't migrated to using a BTO and Router yet, still undecided but will give this modem/router a chance.

bobby1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub V2
      Thanks

Hi guys,

Firstly great guide FOS006. I also have the dsl u66. I have managed to get is conected to skyfiber but when i run a speed test through ethernet or wireless im getting 1.50MB where as when connected via the Sky Hub I get 78MB. Could somone please help me are there some more tweaks and settings that need to be changed.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards Bobby

jjn
      jjn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

First time post - much lurking done esp. on this topic. Great guide but didn't quite work out for me.

Is anyone having issues with their DSL-N66U? Using F/W: 1.0.7.6 with an out of the box router I go through the wizard, enter the user/pw and in the network info box I can see IP, DNS etc but no joy on using the web etc. Really odd.

My Fibre is 3 days old and in training at the moment. Current 35mb up / 7mb down on the 102 but the stats on the DSL-N66U showed 25mb down / 7mb up... irrespective of lack of connection I figured it would be same / faster! Not as bad as Bobby but perhaps there's an issue creeping in?

I don't really want to send it back, as the 102 has such bad Wi-Fi and I'd like a single box. Any insight v.much welcomed.

Jim

bobby1979 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub V2
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by csgohan4 View Post
      I can verify this is working, however I merely downloaded the latest firmware, as of writing 1.0.7.3, flashed and then connected the modem to the the phone line, gave me an option to select sky fibre from the drop box, put in my username and pass and it works.

No need to fiddle around with the settings. Haven't migrated to using a BTO and Router yet, still undecided but will give this modem/router a chance.
      Hi jjn,

I think there is an issue with the router which maybe fixed via a future firmware. I gave up but thought lets try again so reconnected the Asus..... low and behold speeds where improved although still not as good as the Sky Hub. The problem this time is that the connection keeps dropping out and I have to manualy reboot the router for it to connecr again... nightmare as its seems noone on this forum has this router connected and working properly. Ive given up and sent mine back. Using the Sky Hub and as basic as it is i have had no issues. I wish you all the best with your Asus once you have the beast tamed its gonna be one hell of a networking device.
      Last edited by bobby1979; 17-08-14 at 01:24 PM. Reason: double post

SOF006 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wallsend
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: BT Hub 6 (BT Smart HUB)
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobby1979 View Post
      Hi jjn,

I think there is an issue with the router which maybe fixed via a future firmware. I gave up but thought lets try again so reconnected the Asus..... low and behold speeds where improved although still not as good as the Sky Hub. The problem this time is that the connection keeps dropping out and I have to manualy reboot the router for it to connecr again... nightmare as its seems noone on this forum has this router connected and working properly. Ive given up and sent mine back. Using the Sky Hub and as basic as it is i have had no issues. I wish you all the best with your Asus once you have the beast tamed its gonna be one hell of a networking device.
      I realise now this guide is kind of pointless in the fact that when you get it working the router causes the exchange to think there is faults on the line because the chipset is too different from the one in the sky router.

The chipset in the router needs to be compatible in order for it to work without causing line drops etc. Hopefully in the future BT/Openreach upgrade the FTTC exchanges to allow any router to work with them... hopefully.

jjn
      jjn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

thanks bobby1979, SOF006

Looks like it's going back, I was about to post that I'd noticed 1.0.7.6 was a Beta. Perhaps it doesn't matter.

I'll be trying to find something with the same chipset. BT modem then I guess.

Also noticed that plugging it in during training has meant my connection speed has dropped 33mb -> 31mb. May be it would have happened anyway, may it will come back?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast