Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cisco VPN with the new Sky Hub

This is a discussion on Cisco VPN with the new Sky Hub within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Hi there. Hopefully someone will know the answer to my question. I work from home over a Cisco VPN using ...

simonpieman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01322
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Talking Cisco VPN with the new Sky Hub

Hi there.

Hopefully someone will know the answer to my question.

I work from home over a Cisco VPN using IPSec, connecting to remote desktops etc.

I have just signed up for Sky Unlimited Broadband (ADSL) with the latest "Sky Hub."

Does anyone know if the VPN will work with the Sky Hub. I am currently on O2 using the Wireless
      Box 5 and it has worked like a dream for ages.

Obviously, if it wont work, then I will need to cancel / look at an alternative router.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Many thanks.

2. Advertisement
      griff92 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: mansfield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Cisco VPN with the new Sky Hub

Hi
      You will be fine. I support the IT and VPN in the organization I work for and although I can't say I have users on sky fibre for definite , I'm sure you won't have a problem.

The only ISPs we experience issues with are talk talk and virgin media. The virgin media issue is generally related the the user owning a older router and if they upgrade to the latest virgin router it's fine. Talk talk doesn't generally work, I think they're blocking something.

simonpieman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01322
      Broadband ISP: O2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by griff92 View Post
      Hi
      You will be fine. I support the IT and VPN in the organization I work for and although I can't say I have users on sky fibre for definite , I'm sure you won't have a problem.

The only ISPs we experience issues with are talk talk and virgin media. The virgin media issue is generally related the the user owning a older router and if they upgrade to the latest virgin router it's fine. Talk talk doesn't generally work, I think they're blocking something.
      Thanks for the reply. I look after the IT for the people I work for as well... Just being cautious regarding the VPN situation, as I have read in various forums about issues with Sky.

Obviously, if there is any issue, I could always go for a third party router like a Billion, which would no doubt overcome any issues.

As regards your comment about Talk Talk blocking something - I don't think that is the case. My parents have Talk Talk and when I use their Broadband, I can use my Cisco VPN connection without any issue.

griff92 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: mansfield
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wierd regarding talk talk: we have about 5 users who can't VPN, if they try from
      friends house, not on talk talk, it works.
      It's probably a router setting or maybe a certain router then but we don't support the users routers directly.

You are right, if you get an issue with sky router just try another, it's amazing how many issues with VPN are router related. Rebooting the router fixes about 99% of users issues.

Good luck.

jonathanbaird is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by griff92 View Post
      Wierd regarding talk talk: we have about 5 users who can't VPN, if they try from
      friends house, not on talk talk, it works.
      It's probably a router setting or maybe a certain router then but we don't support the users routers directly.

You are right, if you get an issue with sky router just try another, it's amazing how many issues with VPN are router related. Rebooting the router fixes about 99% of users issues.

Good luck.
      Some routers do not allow GRE pass-through - this may be the issue if you are having VPN issues.