Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Router OS and SKY

This is a discussion on Router OS and SKY within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Just got a response from Mikrotik support that they're making some changes in the next version of RouterOS 5.x (5.20 ...

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Router OS and SKY

Just got a response from Mikrotik support that they're making some changes in the next version of RouterOS 5.x (5.20 i believe will be the next one) that means their DHCP client should hopefully work with sky when used in conjunction with either the FTTC modem or a bridged modem configured for skys "MER" network.

It will require 0x to be prefixed to the clientID field and based on the example the provided it looks like it will need the username and password to be converted to the hex string.

I'll test as soon as I can get my hands on the next version.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: Router OS and SKY

5.20 is now out and I can confirm it's working

You need to convert the username/password into a HEX string and prefix it with 0x

The HEX string has no separators so it would be a case of

client-ID=0x123456789abcde9 (it's actually quite a bit longer than that example)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2611 For This Useful Post:

Scubbie (16-08-12)

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Any chance you can send some feedback to them that it may be better to be able to use the original input as converting to Hex would definitely be the cause of errors.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scubbie View Post
      Any chance you can send some feedback to them that it may be better to be able to use the original input as converting to Hex would definitely be the cause of errors.
      I'd imagine that would be a lot more work for them, as I understand it the 0x basically causes them to send the raw input of the client-ID field in the option 61 packet.

I'd also hope that most people who'd be confident enough to tackle routerOS would be able to manage a ASCII to Hex conversion, as a platform RouterOS has a fairly steep learning curve.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yellowpipe - Encrypter/Decrypter, Encode / decode: Base64, ASCII, Binary, Hex, DES, MD5, SHA1, Bruteforce, ROT-13, URL encode

The ACSII > HEX convertor on this site seems to correctly convert the input in the format of username@skydsl|password to the required HEX string

Then all you need to do is remove the spaces and prefix the 0x

carl0s is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

I can confirm that this works using DSL (MER) with a Draytek Vigor 120 v2 bridge modem.

When configured in MPoA (MER) mode, the Mikrotik does not create a PPPoE tunnel to the Draytek as it would if you were using the modem with a PPPoA connection, or Fibre (assume Fibre is using PPPoE?).

The ethernet interface of the router runs the DHCP client directly (as opposed to DHCP running on PPPoE interface)

I set the Vigor 120's WAN MAC address to that of my Sr101 router.

My Mikrotik is online, ether1 dhcp bound with the public IP

Exchange:
      Thanks

Sky do not use PPP for Fibre, it's straight ethernet out from the Openreach modem.

It would be the same config for Fibre as it would for the MER network from the routerOS end.

Also DHCP isn't needed for a PPPoA/PPPoE connection as the IP information is usually included as part of the PPP negotiation

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      Sky do not use PPP for Fibre, it's straight ethernet out from the Openreach modem.

It would be the same config for Fibre as it would for the MER network from the routerOS end.

Also DHCP isn't needed for a PPPoA/PPPoE connection as the IP information is usually included as part of the PPP negotiation
      That's good to know, thanks. I assumed Sky did fibre the same way BT did, or at least have done on the few that I've set up with different routers (PPPoE).

I should've known about the PPP options thing. I knew it for traditional ppp dialup, never considered it was the same for pppoe. Thanks again.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carl0s View Post
      That's good to know, thanks. I assumed Sky did fibre the same way BT did, or at least have done on the few that I've set up with different routers (PPPoE).

I should've known about the PPP options thing. I knew it for traditional ppp dialup, never considered it was the same for pppoe. Thanks again.

No they don't which is somewhat annoying as if it was PPPoE it would be so much easier to use 3rd party routers, instead you need to use a router you can pass DHCP option61 to.

Currently using an Edgerouter Lite, but previously was using an RB751-2nHD.

RouterOS has a steep learning curve and is somewhat buggy at times, but difficult to find anything that comes close in terms of cost and what you can do with it.

UBNT's EdgeOS is also pretty nice but not as feature rich as RouterOS yet, however the performance is exceptional given the cost of the unit.

The crypto performance is amazing if the tunnel supports acceleration (only works on IPSEC atm), will Max an 80Mbit/s FTTC line over an IPSEC tunnel even with AES-256 set!

Exchange:
      Thanks

I do things like: cheap Mikrotik Router (RB75-Something), connects to salesguys's home wifi, then make's a pptp vpn connection through his dynamic IP, then lets his IP phone work, and does acceptable qos (queue trees). So this Mikrotik gives him a wifi voIp phone. It is adding both vpn, and wifi, to a basic polycom 320 phone.

or, on another site, slight opposite.. mikrotik is wired into their Africa broadband router (a cisco that we will never be given control of), and it connects to the VPN for their VoIP phone, uses queue trees to prioritise their phones over everything else, so as long as they run their laptops through the Mikrotik (it's a WiFi AP too), then everything is managed by me, and big uploads or email transmits, don't screw up the phones.

I like Draytek routers, but, other than the ADSL modem (120 sort of deals with that), Mikrotiks are a million miles ahead.

I have ran into a few of Mikrotik's bugs and unfinished things, especially the trafficflow stuff with the missing src-mac fields and what not, and Mikrotik's general inability to deal with development problems. Kind of makes you think they're sub-contracting foreign developers and don't actually even have total control themselves.

But in lots and lots of situations, these are really amazing routers for the money, once you have a proper look at them. a Draytek, e.g. only has 2, or at most maybe 3 (2 WAN), interfaces. On a Mikrotik you can do what you want with any of the interfaces. A Draytek will never come close, except for the inbuilt DSL WAN.

Every time you try to do something unusual with a Draytek, like route a specific network in a specific way, or firewall off something in particular, that's when you realise it's a million miles away from what you need, and these Mikrotik's are amazing. If only we didn't have to buy a Draytek modem everytime for DSL connectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      No they don't which is somewhat annoying as if it was PPPoE it would be so much easier to use 3rd party routers, instead you need to use a router you can pass DHCP option61 to.

Currently using an Edgerouter Lite, but previously was using an RB751-2nHD.

RouterOS has a steep learning curve and is somewhat buggy at times, but difficult to find anything that comes close in terms of cost and what you can do with it.

UBNT's EdgeOS is also pretty nice but not as feature rich as RouterOS yet, however the performance is exceptional given the cost of the unit.

The crypto performance is amazing if the tunnel supports acceleration (only works on IPSEC atm), will Max an 80Mbit/s FTTC line over an IPSEC tunnel even with AES-256 set!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast