Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
    Like Tree8Likes

Sky's MER and why it does not work with other routers

This is a discussion on Sky's MER and why it does not work with other routers within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Originally Posted by dragon2611 Try http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi? next_file=mode.htm - It's in the stock Dg834gt netgear firmwares, not sure about the Sky ...

deltic79 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky's MER and why it does not work with other routers

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      Try

http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=mode.htm - It's in the stock Dg834gt netgear firmwares, not sure about the Sky ones.(Change the IP if needed)

Or On the Sagem try option 1A with VC-Mux encapulation and VCI 0 VPI 40
      Thanks. Unfortunately the Sky firmware doesn't allow the configuration of bridge mode on the DG384GT.

I've had the Huawei set to Pure Bridge with VC-Mux encapulation and VCI 0 VPI 40.

I've also disabled DHCP, NAT and the firewall (the Asus will take care of these) in case bridge mode doesn't do this automatically.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing here that anyone can help me with please?

I might have to source a different ADSL router and give that a try.

Thanks again.

2. Advertisement
      deltic79 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

I've cracked it. Just tried it again and this time I didn't enter single quotes around the username|password combination entered into the Asus (which goes against the screen print I've seen elsewhere on this forum). And I'm online.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deltic79 View Post
      I've cracked it. Just tried it again and this time I didn't enter single quotes around the username|password combination entered into the Asus (which goes against the screen print I've seen elsewhere on this forum). And I'm online.

It does depend on the specific implementation of the DHCP client/configuration scripts as to if they are needed or not.

Hmm maybe that should be a thread in itself known formats for the Username password string per router/firmware.

Also worth noting sky often won't allow a new device to authenticate until the old one has expired from their systems

Ferrograph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Mikrotik RB2011
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrmt32 View Post

DHCP Vendor ID (option 60, -d switch):
      firmwareversion|2ndHardwareSerial|skysg2|1stHardwa reSerial

e.g. 2.8Sky|123456789A|skysg2|LK012345678

DHCP Client ID (option 61, -c switch):
      PPPUsername|PPPPassword

e.g. 1a2b3c4d5e6f@skydsl|zzc7Zovbt5Fpa7B

Setting these to the correct values on a 3rd party router should allow you to get an IP with MER. The hard part now is finding routers which support setting them
      All RouterOS/Mikrotik routers support setting as many DHCP options as needed (RB951 is a good current model). I dont have a Sky MER connection to try this on currently but a customer of mine is upgrading soon and I will try it and report back.

dragon2611 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: AAISP + Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: N/A
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrograph View Post
      All RouterOS/Mikrotik routers support setting as many DHCP options as needed (RB951 is a good current model). I dont have a Sky MER connection to try this on currently but a customer of mine is upgrading soon and I will try it and report back.
      I'd reccomend making sure its a RB951-2HnD as the basic 951 only has 1x1:1 wireless which is a bit plop.

Didn't notice they sneaked that one in, Have a 751 kicking about nice bit of kit but found it struggled a bit with the faster services once loaded with a few firewall rules (90% cpu @ 72Mbit/s) prefer edgerouters now but those don't have wireless.etc

Ferrograph is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Mikrotik RB2011
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2611 View Post
      Didn't notice they sneaked that one in, Have a 751 kicking about nice bit of kit but found it struggled a bit with the faster services once loaded with a few firewall rules (90% cpu @ 72Mbit/s) prefer edgerouters now but those don't have wireless.etc
      751 is a bit older now but not seen the high CPU even with Virgin 120Mbps connection. I have both 751 and 951 (yes RB951-2HnD is best). 32 NAT rules, 19 Filters, 18 Mangles, 7 Full time VPNs. Latest firmware 6.7 greatly improves performance with fastpacket.

I know you have to be careful with FW rules otherwise it can result in high CPU. Dont know much about EdgeRouters (heard good things) but Ive yet to see anything with the flexibility of Router OS - the stuff Ive been able to achieve is amazing.

Briain is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrograph View Post
      Hi

Just for information, Draytek built this feature into a test version of their firmware quite some time ago (I guess it will likely be in the current release firmwares) and I believe it works well (from other posts on their forum). Back then, I was sent a copy of the test version (it was me who contacted Draytek to ask for this feature) but just before I tried it, my Sky router had reverted to using PPPoA, so I am not sure what's going on in my area. I did try it, anyway, but I couldn't 'force' myself back to MER, so I gave up and set it back to PPPoA.

I've been using the Draytek (on PPPoA) for years, but just this morning, I have rearranged my network to use a Sky F@ST2504n to connect to the ADSL, and I see it is still PPPoA.

I have made the above change so that I can use a wireless bridge (associated to the Sky router's SSID) with the LAN side of my bridge connected to my Draytek's WAN port. I have done this to provide complete electrical isolation between items attached to my phone line and my network (so a ground lightning strike causing phone lines to go high wont also take my network connected items out), so it will be interesting to keep an eye on the Sky router to see if I ever get popped back to MER.

Bri

NB Just for general interest, the below pictures of a customer's Ethernet socket and patch cable (from one room; there were others just like that) show why I am now using a wireless bridge between my phone line connected devices and my second router (and thus also my WAP, my switch, and the rest of my network). As well as loosing their router, the customer also lost equipment in every room (computers, media boxes, etc). I had a similar - but less severe - event a few years ago, but luckily, I only lost my router and an answer phone (i.e. devices connected to both phone line and a mains socket). Helping fix the damage shown below promoted me to actually getting round to doing something about better protecting my own network.

Sky's MER and why it does not work with other routers-lightning-module.jpg

Sky's MER and why it does not work with other routers-lightning-patch.jpg

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425