Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

21CN Revisited

This is a discussion on 21CN Revisited within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; (please forgive the spelling in advance) Hey guys, Im a sky customer (my line was too slow to keep "be" ...

Urumiko is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ashington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

21CN Revisited

(please forgive the spelling in advance)

Hey guys, Im a sky customer (my line was too slow to keep "be" when i moved house) *snif*

I was actually searching for more information on 21cn to see what the benefits of it will be to home users as a bit of a broadband enthusiast trying to live with a 1.9Mb connection. I saw the previous posts on the site and would like to go over / clarify some things. This is what I interprate from what i see please educate me =)

First off what are the general public looking for BT to improve about their broadband service? well everyone wants faster speeds right?
      Even the barely tech savy these days know that what it boils down to on a copper line network is line quality/length.
      Anyone who cares about there broadband speed has been hoping BT pull there finger out and make a monumental improvement to the equipment between exchange and home for some time, and many are hailing the 21CN as this improvement. But is it really?

So in laymans terms what can i interperate from the vague information on BT's website? well the backbone technologies other side of the D-slam are getting all streamlined and updated which cant be bad but i dont see it making any real diference to speeds for home users unless you suffer contention issues.

They are using ADS2+ Which be and sky are already using, so about time.
      This should mean at least a slight speed boost for anyone with a stable connection who isnt currently on LLU but it isnt really going to help the people who really need it, people long distances from the exchange with <2Mb or barely relyable connections.

BT wholesale packages are changing to incorperate adsl2+ standards and services like voip and QOS so we can expect to see more companies using IPTV and VOIP services. Its good that the general standard of broadband is improving by this upgrade but isnt improving on what LLU providers already offer end users except perhaps financially.

so the question remains. is technology between home and exchange going to improve at all thus giving people a long way from exchanged a better service?

Well i see a glimmer of hope, but im sure someone with better understanding can destroy that hope for me =P

These "MSAN"s.... does anyone understand what they are? How i am chosing to interperate these is as follows.

At the moment the "length of your line" basically is from your phone socket to the DSLAM which I beleive is kind of like a big microfilter in reverse and where yourtelephone line meets the domain of the fast stuff..

Now bts diagram show these fibre optically connected "MSAN"s replacing the current multi stage technology involving dslam, bras etc, and is now what i see as a big fibreoptic very smart router. I presume this would be installed in an exchange and is effectiveley what deems an exchange 21cn enabled?

The diagram then depicts sub msans interfacing between Optical and copper technologies. now can one presume that these will be in cabinets or mini exchanges where currently there are just copper wiring looms etc? if this were the case then everyones copper line would effectiveley be shortened and with ADSL2+ technology to boot that should mean happy times for everyone presuming bt actualy spend the money putting these where there needed with big enough piped behind them?

Am I anywhere near understanding the reality of what 21cn will be or am i being too optemistic in my ignorance?

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: 21CN Revisited

I do love the way BT is trying to put spin on their 21CN.

What they are doing is playing catchup and effectivly putting the same equipment in the exchanges that Sky, O2 etc have been putting in as a LLU.

One problem I have found though is that if they are spending millions and millions of pounds on this netwok why don't they updae their stupid broadband line checker.

My exchange has been updated according to BT yet their line checker said I could only get 6 meg/sec on the 21CN.

I was getting 8 when I was with BT on ADSLmax and I get 11 meg/sec on ADSL2+ on both Sky and O2.

So until BT get Fibre optic rolled out to the cabinets in the street (which has started but in a very limited roll out) I don't see anything 21st Century about this.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Urumiko is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: ashington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: 21CN Revisited

Well put mate well put.

On the note of the BB availability checker I think this for a start primarily uses an average of peoples BRAS profiles by post code which is basically the speed there line runs at influenced by the sync speed.

Given that a lot of people dont use a well maintained master socket or even worse use Cra**y extension sockets/cables there bad rates will effect the figures.

Aggain as well the BT checker gives you a speed on adsl 2 not adsl2+ so yeah there dumbing things down in that department too.

Theys my big problem with BT really They dumb everything down technically for the end user. The people that answer questions on the end of the phone now are not even technically trained they follow very strict scripts ( I know I used to work for them) and thats why i left.

Standard BT wholesale tools could be used to get a very acurate picture of line quality etc they just dont bother.

This is also why i was so chuffed with BE they answered any tech questions I had spot on and were not affraid to manually play with my line profile. They even let the customer alter there own line profile should they so wish.

I must admit im suprised companies like BE or virgin are not looking to expand there coverage to use there own equiment past the point of exchanges for copper line customers.

Given the pressure from the government for improved broadband coverage you think they would work somthing out financially, thats somthing I wouldnt mind my taxes being spent on.

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      I do love the way BT is trying to put spin on their 21CN.

What they are doing is playing catchup and effectivly putting the same equipment in the exchanges that Sky, O2 etc have been putting in as a LLU.

One problem I have found though is that if they are spending millions and millions of pounds on this netwok why don't they updae their stupid broadband line checker.

My exchange has been updated according to BT yet their line checker said I could only get 6 meg/sec on the 21CN.

I was getting 8 when I was with BT on ADSLmax and I get 11 meg/sec on ADSL2+ on both Sky and O2.

So until BT get Fibre optic rolled out to the cabinets in the street (which has started but in a very limited roll out) I don't see anything 21st Century about this.