Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky router tool

This is a discussion on Sky router tool within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; Originally Posted by GRM An option on the Net Monitor tab to record and graph total data volume as well ...

mrmt32 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: West Malling
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky router tool

Quote Originally Posted by GRM View Post
      An option on the Net Monitor tab to record and graph total data volume as well as speed.
      Do you mean plot total bytes against time (so as you download something the plot gets higher and higher as time goes on)? That should be possible although the graph would have to be reset upon disabling auto-refresh (the byte counter on the router resets to 0 after reaching 4GB so without constant checking it would be impossible to know how much has been transferred; the counter could have reset an unknown number of times).

Quote Originally Posted by GRM View Post
      The SNRM graph has a lot of white space on the left and right of the X axis plotting. Probably to do with the graphing plugin but I thought it worth a mention.
      This seems to be a bug with zedgraph (I had the same problem with the other graphs and had to set the axis values manually, its a bit trickier to do that with the constantly changing axis of the net monitor and SNR graphs).

I am thinking of making a windows service which connects to the router and continually logs the details, that way you could find out total data usage etc. as well as more comprehensive SNR logs. The graphs could then be viewed from a web interface. This would also fix the graph problems as I could use some javascript or flash graphing library which hopefully wont have the x-axis bug.

2. Advertisement
      GRM
      GRM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oadby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrmt32 View Post
      Do you mean plot total bytes against time (so as you download something the plot gets higher and higher as time goes on)?
      Something like that. I was looking for a way to track and record total WAN traffic given that the DG834 doesn't do SNMP. The internal byte coutner resetting itself obviously makes that much more challenging though.

I am thinking of making a windows service which connects to the router and continually logs the details, that way you could find out total data usage etc. as well as more comprehensive SNR logs. The graphs could then be viewed from a web interface. This would also fix the graph problems as I could use some javascript or flash graphing library which hopefully wont have the x-axis bug.
      Sounds excellent.

One more thing, When I lose sync with the exchange there is often a huge negative spike recorded on the Net Monitor graph which screws the Y-axis scaling - see http://www.mason.sh/monitor.JPG for an example. Given that negative speed is meaningless, it would be nice if you could put a lower bound of zero on the data plotted?

Thanks

One more thing, When I lose sync with the exchange there is often a huge negative spike recorded on the Net Monitor graph which screws the Y-axis scaling - see http://www.mason.sh/monitor.JPG for an example. Given that negative speed is meaningless, it would be nice if you could put a lower bound of zero on the data plotted?
      Ah, I didn't think about that! The counter obviously gets reset when the router loses sync (and my app therefore thinks the speed has gone backwards!). I have added a check for this in the next version.

As for the next version; I have made quite a lot of progress on making a continually running version with proper logging. At the moment I have coded most of the logging part (its logging all the details to a database) and the HTTP server to serve the web interface. I just need to work on an interface to access all the data now...

Edit: Here is a screenshot of the web interface so far:
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky router tool-web-interface.jpg  
      Last edited by mrmt32; 12-08-09 at 08:25 PM.

Dave-H is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ealing London W5
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Question Re: Sky router tool

Hi mrmt32!
      Just tried this out, and I've got a problem.
      When I ran it for the first time, it immediately crashed when I pressed OK on the login window.

I quickly realised that this was happening because I didn't have the telnet service running on my PC (I have all the services that I consider unnecessary disabled on my machine.)
      Once I'd enabled the service, at least the main window appeared, and the program tried to log on to the router (the router lights were flashing merrily).

Unfortunately, it then crashes again ("Sky Router Tool has encountered a problem and needs to close" etc. etc.)
      This is accompanied by an error message which says -
      "Unable to connect to admin interface to enable telnet. Is the user name and password correct? Error: The request was aborted: The operation has timed out."

Now I know that the user name and password are correct, as I can log into the router with them using Internet Explorer, so any idea what's wrong?
      Are there any other services other than telnet which have to be running for the program to work?
      Thanks. Dave.

Thanks

You don't actually need the telnet service running (that's for other people to telnet to your pc, outgoing connections don't require it).

Just to check, are you using a Netgear DG834GT (the only router that sky supply that is white)? (This software only works with that router).

One more thing is the IP Address you typed in correct? It should be 192.168.0.1 unless you changed it on the router for some reason.

I am about to release the next version which no longer uses telnet, so that might work for you (assuming you have the right router).

Thanks

Smile Re: Sky router tool

Hi mrmt32, thanks for the response.
      I thought it worked better after I re-enabled the telnet service, but I've just tried again and it's now exactly the same with it running or not running, so I've switched it off again.
      It's definitely one of the original Netgear routers (it is white!)
      The IP address I haven't changed, it's still 192.168.0.1, and that logs in correctly using Internet Explorer.
      The only thing I've done is disable the wireless function on the router for security as I don't use it.
      Would that affect your program?
      Thanks, Dave.

EDIT:
      Just discovered a load of error messages relating to this in my Application Log.
      The error is a ".NET Runtime 2.0" error, and says -
      "EventType clr20r3, P1 sky router tool.exe, P2 0.3.0.0, P3 4a749395, P4 mscorlib, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 471ebc5b, P7 136f, P8 16, P9 system.outofmemoryexception, P10 NIL."

The ASP.NET State Service was also disabled.
      I have enabled it but the only difference that seems to have made is that the program is now just freezing without the Windows error message, and eventually a message does pop up saying "Unable to connect to telnet server, waiting for utelnetd to open timed out!"
      Last edited by Dave-H; 16-08-09 at 01:23 AM.

Thanks

That shouldn't affect it. Could you try going to http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?todo=pi...0-d%202%3E%261 in internet explorer and running sky router tool again? That's the url it tries to use to activate telnet on the router (and accessing that is what seems to be failing).

When you go there it should show:
      telnetd: starting
      port: 23; interface: any; login program: /bin/sh

Thanks

Unhappy Re: Sky router tool

Thanks, you posted before I edited my previous post!

I tried that URL in IE, and it took me to the router Status page.
      I tried running the Sky Router Tool again, and the same thing happened. The main window appeared and the bar in the bottom right hand corner kept going forwards and backwards, then it just crashed again.
      No message came up apart form the "Sky Router Tool needs to close" message.

Thanks

Smile Re: Sky router tool

Hi again mrmt32!
      Just tried again this morning, and it does seem to be working better now. I've no idea why, as I haven't changed anything from last night!

It's not crashing now, and I'm getting some information on the first page, but a message is now popping up saying -

"Error getting details from router. Could not load file or assembly 'System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified."

This looks like a .NET issue to me. I have two assemblies matching that description, but they are version 1.0.5000.0 and 2.0.0.0. No version 3.5.0.0.

Please don't tell me that this program has to have .NET version 3 installed, as I'm using Windows 2000 and you can't have .NET version 3 unless you've got XP or Vista.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,611 Posts

Deleted, wrong thread.
      Last edited by Isitme; 16-08-09 at 05:19 PM. Reason: wrong thread

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 25-04-13, 04:41 PM
    2. 25-04-13, 04:38 PM
    3. 15-02-13, 04:38 PM
    4. 15-02-13, 04:32 PM