Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Like Tree1Likes

Sky router tool

This is a discussion on Sky router tool within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; I have now uploaded V1.1! This includes a few fixes, a toggle to disable the downtime graph and it now ...

mrmt32 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: West Malling
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Sky router tool

I have now uploaded V1.1! This includes a few fixes, a toggle to disable the downtime graph and it now doesn't record large SNR margin spikes.

Sagem support has also been added but this unfortunately requires people with sagem routers to update their firmware to a slightly modified sky firmware (more details on the first post). Unfortunately sky have locked all options for enabling console access through the default web interface and I could not find any exploits to enable it without flashing the router.

2. Advertisement
      Dave-H is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ealing London W5
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Sky router tool

Hi Matt, the new version seems to be working fine, and thanks so much for addressing my suggestions!

Just a couple of things, one of which actually isn't new.
      Firstly it's great having the toggle to show or hide the downtime display, but it only seems to work on the "Last Hour" and "Last Day" displays.
      The "Last Month", "Last Year", and "Last 10 Years" displays don't seem to show downtime at all any more, and although the toggle option is there it doesn't seem to actually change the display when it's toggled.
      Is this correct?

The other thing, which isn't new, it had started to happen on the old version too, is that the "Last Year" and "Last 10 Years" graphs don't seem to load properly any more. They just show a rotating animation with "Loading Data" displayed and never load. If I keep on refreshing the display, eventually they do load, but it can take many attempts. "Last Month" is slow to load sometimes as well. "Last Hour" and "Last Day" are still always fine.
      Is this because the history database has become too large?
      I've been using the tool for some years now as you know, and I've never cleared the history database.
      Cheers, Dave.

Thanks

The slow loading could quite possibly be due to having such a large database. You could try playing with the settings on the 'Router Log Consolidation' page (I highly recommend backing up your database first though, you can find it at C:\ProgramData\sky router tool\routerlogs.sdf). I'm guessing the main problem is rendering the graphs with so much data, the JavaScript library probably can't handle it. Did the problem get worse the longer you used the tool?

I am not sure what is causing the problem with the downtime toggle, I just tried it on my computer and it worked for all of them most of the time, but one in 20 times it wouldn't. I'll will look into it.

Thanks

Post Re: Sky router tool

Hi again Matt.
      Well the two issues seem to have a common cause, and it is my database.
      I moved the routerlogs.sdf out of its folder, and allowed the tool to generate a new empty one.
      All the graphs then appeared instantly, and the downtime display toggle worked perfectly on all of them.
      I restored my original file, and the problems came back again.

Here is what the month long graph looks like with the downtime display enabled (as you can see from the state of the link under the graph).
      There is no change in the graph however, and the extra red icon top right for the downtime doesn't appear either.

So it does look as if my database is either corrupted in some way, or is simply too large!
      The routerlogs.sdf file is 1.76MB.
      Is that particularly big?
      Cheers, Dave.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky router tool-image1.jpg  

Thanks

Its not the file-size of the database that is the problem, its the amount of data points that the javascript library has to render (for 2 years worth of data that's probably a few hundred thousand points). What I think I will do is only send a sub-set of data to the web interface (unless you zoom in, only a maximum of about 630 data points can be shown anyway). Would it be possible to have a copy of your database file? It would be useful to have a large dataset in order to test this. My email address is mrmt32 at gmail dot com.

I have found out what the problem with showing/hiding the downtime graph is, the reason it was so unpredictable was that it only worked if the graph loaded before the totals table (that's why it works better for the graphs which contain less data and therefore load more quickly). This will be fixed in the next version.

Thanks

Post Re: Sky router tool

The database file should be in your in-box!

Thanks

Version 1.2.1 is now up, it includes fixes for the downtime toggle bug and graph slow downs. The data is now limited to a resolution of 1000 data points (which is a bit more than the resolution of the graph. With large data sets its was reaching around 150,000 points which caused the javascript library to run a bit slowly!). Thanks go to Dave-H for supplying his 2 year long database for testing this!

I have also now made a website for this project: Sky Router Tool - About - Sky Broadband Logging and Statistics - pH-Mb

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Sky router tool

Working like a dream Matt, thank you so much!
      If you were wondering why I was so anxious to be able to turn off the downtime display, look at this -

That's why!

I see you're also working on an extractor for FTA Sky PVR recordings too.
      A man of many talents!
      Cheers, Dave.
      Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sky router tool-image1.jpg  

Thanks

haha yes I noticed that when testing it with your logs, it does make it a bit tricky to see the data to say the least! Anyway, I'm glad its working fine for you now!

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,197 Times in 2,067 Posts

Hello Matt,

Do you have any plans to get this tool to work with the D-Link DSL-2640S, Sagem F@ST 2304n or the new router being rolled out at the moment?

I've just tried to get it to work with my Sagem 2304n and it sadly doesn't.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 25-04-13, 04:41 PM
    2. 25-04-13, 04:38 PM
    3. 15-02-13, 04:38 PM
    4. 15-02-13, 04:32 PM