Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

ATTENTION: Hack for Netgear D834GT V1 - Run Netgear Firmware the Easy Way

This is a discussion on ATTENTION: Hack for Netgear D834GT V1 - Run Netgear Firmware the Easy Way within the Technical discussion forums, part of the Broadband Technical Help category; DISCLAIMER Before reading this thread Please read: http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/extra...ead-first.html . Warning! Do not use this firmware image if you are a ...

hellfire18 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: GARFORTH
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Arrow ATTENTION: Hack for Netgear D834GT V1 - Run Netgear Firmware the Easy Way

DISCLAIMER

Before reading this thread Please read: Please read this first..

Warning! Do not use this firmware image if you are a Sky Broadband user. It is only intended for people who have left Sky and who want to use their Sky router with their new ISP.

Huge thanks and all credit to James67.

---------------------------------------------------

DESCRIPTION

Here's the latest (27/02/08) Netgear standard firmware version V1.02.14, modified so that it can be installed on a Sky DG834GT router. This will be useful for people who want to "unlock" their router for use with any ISP, but who can't get the Netgear Recovery Utility to work: http://www.delweddau.com/images/DG83...S_V1.02.14.img.

This version finally has support for WDS!

Please note* You will not be able to then upgrade via the Netgear web site as it is not a true flash of the Firmware, in effect you are fooling the Sky Router, also note that you will not receive Sky Firmware updates, so basically this is a one off fix. I am going to have a go tonight at compiling future images for the Netgear Firmware so that James doesn't have to and I will keep everyone posted as & when they become available.

Chris.

--------------------------------------------------

This information is available in the interests of our members. Please do not upgrade your FW unless you fully understand the risks that it could go wrong and render your router useless. Please remember also, that it is against the Terms and Conditions of Sky Broadband. You also run a high risk of having your Broadband Connection suspended as well as receiving no Technical Support.
      Last edited by hellfire18; 04-03-08 at 05:53 PM.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: ATTENTION: Hack for Netgear D834GT V1 - Run Netgear Firmware the Easy Way

Moved to technical discussion, as per our rules.

# No discussion whatsoever on hacking routers, or firmware changing on the open forums.
      # We will allow discussion on this in the The Tech Forum

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

fair play - you've moved to AOL - but why not just buy a new router? surely there are better ones then the V1
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

James67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

He probably can't afford it, what with him having moved to a more expensive ISP.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

probably...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

hellfire18 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: GARFORTH
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I was stuck on Sky Connect so paying 17 per month for that & 5 for Sky Unlimited. AOL cost me 22.49 so 49p more basically for the Broadband & Unlimited Talk and I got a free PS3.

I'm locked into an 18 month contract but I can't see any Sky LLU services coming to my area soon (certainly nothing on the exchange checker on this site). So basically over 18 months it's costing me 8.82 for a PS3 - This costing will no doubt be different for a large proportion of you but for me it was a no brainer & why spend money on a new Router if the V1 with official Netgear firmware on it works very well?

Chris.

A[L]C is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Excellent, thanks a lot. Couldnt get the recovery to work so this is a life saver

A[L]C is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have a problem with this firmware... im not able to log on to MSN. I get error 80072745. MSN 8.5 and im with BeThere using the opendns servers on vista 64 bit. No proxy settings are set in msn or ie

edit: fixed it.

Noticed the same thing after upgrading the firmware to the 1.02.13.

I have NOD32 v3 installed on my machine. Loaded up the Personal Firewall > Configure Connection view > Personal Firewall > Protocol Filtering > Change to either HTTP & POP3 or Applications marked as Internet Browsers and email clients.

After this, the WLM started to work again as before.

Problem solved!
      NETGEAR Forums - View Single Post - DG834GT's 1.02.13 broke WLM
      Last edited by A[L]C; 02-04-08 at 09:52 PM.