Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

speed rapidly decreases after reset

This is a discussion on speed rapidly decreases after reset within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I have now been connected since November but the connection at near 6M slows down after an hour connected and ...

philthunder is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: romford
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

speed rapidly decreases after reset

I have now been connected since November but the connection at near 6M slows down after an hour connected and sometimes ends up at 64K or slower, if I power down the modem it goes back up to 6m but soon slows down again. After endless calls to SKY and a new modem, they insist they only support XP home edition and I have Professional, I think they are talking out of their pants. Also I still dont have a password for the email, the one that tells me conditions of use you know "We dont support XP proffesional"!
      I am connected via the network cable and dont use the wifi, the pc has the same configuration as when F2S was connected and I have tried two other pc's to no effect.
      The exchange connects to the modem at 7M but I cant get any speed after the initial surge through the dam thing. Help?
      Phil

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: speed rapidly decreases after reset

As I'm sure you know the XP professional thing is just a red herring.

The first thing that comes to mind is that your line may be generating a lot of errors and as they build up your connection speed drops.

To see what is happening you need to post your extended router stats once your speed drops. These can be extracted using Mognut's excellent utility. If you are unsure how to use it, ask.

It would also be helpful to know your normal router stats both from the connection you normally use and from your test socket which you'll find behind the faceplate of your master socket (assuming you have an NTE5).

snake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philthunder View Post
      I have now been connected since November but the connection at near 6M slows down after an hour connected and sometimes ends up at 64K or slower, if I power down the modem it goes back up to 6m but soon slows down again. After endless calls to SKY and a new modem, they insist they only support XP home edition and I have Professional, I think they are talking out of their pants. Also I still dont have a password for the email, the one that tells me conditions of use you know "We dont support XP proffesional"!
      I am connected via the network cable and dont use the wifi, the pc has the same configuration as when F2S was connected and I have tried two other pc's to no effect.
      The exchange connects to the modem at 7M but I cant get any speed after the initial surge through the dam thing. Help?
      Phil
      Ok phil what way is your physical setup? Have you got your broadband plugged in the master socket with no extensions on the grey cable (master socket usually located downstairs unless it has been moved). Your sky tv should of been supplied with a double adapter that you would of plugged into your telephone line have you got this now plugged into the phone part of ur microfilter? how many telephone sockets have you got in your home that are in use? Answer these questions for me and i will beable to establish then why your connection speed is running slow and give you some advise

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Snake thanks for the responce, I have an ADSL nation master, BT line straight into that, Cat5 to an RJ45 for the PC. All the extensions are run from the master via a link cable so I can disconnect the extensions. When I was on F2S LLU I had a good 8M with consistant 6.5 through put, that was with a Speedtouch 330 PCI card and in 2 years I had 3 down times (one of those was notified). Speed drop changes little with or without the extensions.
      With SKY I have 7M connection and the best through the modem was 6M but normaly runs around 4M, this does slow to a crawl after an hour or so and has sometimes bottomed out to 64K and less (the speed test drops out) I have been using Thinkbroadband and several others averaged out for a comparison.
      Last night I flashed the password and tried a Zoom 5510 usb and had consistant speeds of 2M still not good but no slower and a vast improvement over the Netgear.
      My thoughts go to the Netgear firewall cachet filling up and not resetting but cannot see anyway round it (this is the second and both respond the same).
      PS I tried Mognut's utility and after several changes there was some improvement but it was still slowing down.
      Your thoughts appreciated.
      Phil
      Last edited by philthunder; 24-01-07 at 10:56 AM.

snake is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I would point the problem towards your extension mate customers are stressed to that they should try avoiding any extensions on there DSL line as possible as this detereates (if thats spelt correctly) the speed quality of your broadband service. Try removing the extensions and going directly into that master socket your telephone line is running into and monitor your connection for 48 hours and see how often it may drop you out if even it does. If this still drops out and causes you problems without your extensions then you may need to contact tech support to have that looked at. Your CAT5 to the RJ45 ethernet shouldn't be a problem cause all that does is transmit data from your router to your pc this is why you can have an RJ45 up to 325 feet. As they say the shorter your DSL cable is the better service quality you get from your internet connection. Always bare in mind however that other isps equipment work different from sky's. Another tip aswell try not to flash the router as you are breaking the T&C of your broadband service. Let me know how it goes m8. Cheers

EDIT: Snake - Please don't quote the whole of the immediately preceding post every time you reply. Use quote to highlight a particular point not the whole post.
      Last edited by Saturday; 24-01-07 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Removed full quote

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

snake wrote
      I would point the problem towards your extension mate

philthunder wrote
      I have an ADSL nation master, BT line straight into that, Cat5 to an RJ45 for the PC
      Extensions do not have any effect on this type of set up, which is recognized as the best solution.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My thoughts exactly as it's the same with or without the extensions!
      With Mossywells running on the official modem it runs around 2M, On my hacked Sky modem it will run at 6M if I connect and do a speed test then run Mossywells, if I do it anyother way I get an inconsistant connection. With all the other members with similar problem Im supprised there is no Official explanation!