Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Attenuation higher, speed slower on non-Sky router

This is a discussion on Attenuation higher, speed slower on non-Sky router within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; New here so hope I'm posting in the right place. I've managed to get my hand on a wireless N ...

MarkA67 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Attenuation higher, speed slower on non-Sky router

New here so hope I'm posting in the right place.

I've managed to get my hand on a wireless N router because the wireless in the SR102 is so poor my phone struggles to use Skype from across the room! It connects to the Sky network fine after extracting the username/password using Wireshark but the attenuation on the line is higher and the speeds are slower. I am currently connected at 23025 and sometimes that goes even higher up to about 23400 when using the SR102 but when using the Belkin (F5D8636-4 v2) with an attenuation of 15.5dB and a noise margin of 3.1dB. The upload is currently at 1304 with an attenuation of 10.4dB (usually moves between 9 and 10 every time I reboot) and a margin of 6.6dB. However, when using the Belkin, I've seen a downstream of 21431 with an attenuation of 19dB and a 3dB margin where as the upstream has held steady, maybe dropping to 1283 with a 9dB attenuation and a 3dB margin.

I've set up all the VPI to 0, VCI to 38, MTU to 1500, Connection type to PPPoA, Encapulisation to VC-MUX - It connects to the network fine and gets about 18.3Mb down and 1.02Mb up where as the SR102 gets 20.8Mb down and 1.12Mb up. I know the extra 2Mb may seem stupid but it can make a lot of difference considering I download 500-800GB a month.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Attenuation higher, speed slower on non-Sky router

It is possible the chipset in the Belkin is not fully compatible with the exchange equipment. Many using 3rd party routers find their sync speed drops for this reason.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.