Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow internet download speed (but high upload speed) - Even after an engineer visit

This is a discussion on Slow internet download speed (but high upload speed) - Even after an engineer visit within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all I have been with Sky for some time now and I have been running at about 9-10mb. All ...

martd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01590
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Slow internet download speed (but high upload speed) - Even after an engineer visit

Hi all

I have been with Sky for some time now and I have been running at about 9-10mb.
      All of a sudden it dipped to about 6mb - so i have spoken to Sky and after the usual hoops to jump through an engineer came out and said that the router was on its way out and installed a nice shiny new one.

However, i'm still only getting 7-8mb, with an upload speed of 1.2mb - Sky say my speed should be "up to 15mb"
      This is the speed shown on the router status page

What could the issue be do you guys think?
      Am i right in thinking that my download should be about 10x my upload speed? (approx)

Thanks in advance
      Last edited by martd; 01-12-14 at 10:38 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Re: Slow internet download speed (but high upload speed) - Even after an engineer visit

Am i right in thinking that my download should be about 10x my upload speed? (approx)
      No there is no connection. For instance, top ADSL download speed is 24 Mb but upload is only 1.3Mb.

Post your router stats and we will have a look. How to get your Sky Router statistics

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Re: Slow internet download speed (but high upload speed) - Even after an engineer visit

Thank you Isitme

Here are my stats:

Thanks

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but with an attenuation of 42.5db, you are doing well to get 8Mb. Unless there is a fault in you external line or your internal setup, you will not get any more. First thing to try to rule out internal problems is to plug the router into your Test socket using only the filter and ADSL cable supplied by Sky. Take your stats from there and post them.
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks Isitme

This was done using the master test socket.
      I was getting about 9650 ish.
      Do you think that something may have changed with the external line? Sky say it's been tested and that all is ok.

Thanks

It is unlikely a fault which does not show up in the line check could increase the attenuation. I think what is more likely is that your line has originally been set using a default noise margin of 3 db which DLM has determined is too low for the stability of your line, so has increased the margin to 6db. This would account for the drop in speed.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Thank you for your help
      Is there any way of reducing the attenuation?
      Could it be to do with the wiring in the house? Or is that unlikely?

Thanks

I have seen poor house wiring increasing the attenuation. There was a case on the forum some time ago where a user was using a trailing telephone extension and had an attenuation of 60+db. Removing the extension and plugging into the test socket reduced the attenuation to the low 30s. In your case, as you have used the Test socket there is no way you can reduce the attenuation. There is an exception to this if there is a junction before the master socket serving other sockets. This is unusual, but can happen when diyers with little knowledge, has been let loose on the wiring. Check if any other sockets you may have are dead when the faceplate is removed from the master socket.

TomD

Useful Utilites