Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

unexplainable internet problem

This is a discussion on unexplainable internet problem within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi people Normally if im having problems with my connection i start right here, make topic in here. but i ...

sekoidd is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagemcom 2304n
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

unexplainable internet problem

Hi people

Normally if im having problems with my connection i start right here, make topic in here.
      but i don't know why i wasted my time help@skycustomersupport.com
      but connection is so mental i can't even blame skysupport

unexplainable internet problem-emails.jpg

Well im having mental problem with my Sky broadband this is only how i can explain
      my TEK lvl = GEEK so no point telling me check your wiring.
      i changed every singel cable twice or even more, 4 different micro filters, 3 different routers, first 1 was old sagem (black) 2nd 1 what im using atm is this new hub 2.0 SR101 Firmware Version 1.15n.3591.R 3rd router was non sky router seagate i believe, what needed some patching before it work, but it worked in the end. Also tested 2 different computers and i also tested speed with my iphone5 but sometimes i feel like my ****ty 3g signal is bit faster than my sky broadband.

this picture shows what REAL speed im getting now

unexplainable internet problem-update.jpg

This is what my router shows

unexplainable internet problem-stats2.jpg

Speetest.net results

unexplainable internet problem-10_07_14.jpg --------this what i get when im lucky

thinkbroadband.com test file

unexplainable internet problem-think2.jpg -------- and this is what im getting 80% of time, when im not so lucky

router stats now and before

http://www.upload.ee/image/4071863/stats.jpg

unexplainable internet problem-statsnow.jpg

Only thing what normally works is upload ping is also OK might loose 2-8% packets in games
      No cracking noise in landline, sky tested my line it clean, like always been

well i been sky customer since 2010 i think
      and i never had this kind of problem my physical download speed has been 1.5mb/s 1500kb i had same speed with BT before.
      ofc sometimes you have speed issues, but router restart most times helps, or if some bigger problem comes, i just send email and its going to be fixed so fast
      but now its almost 2 months.
      It's very strange sky side looks ok my side looks ok, but where is an problem

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: unexplainable internet problem

Your router sync is fine. Yes, your attenuation should support slightly higher but your home wiring probably isn't perfect.

So, your router sync is fine but your throughput (speed) isn't and varies from poor (for the sync) to terrible. That leads to the most obvious question: are you connecting by wifi?

Exchange:
      Thanks

i use desktop and LAN cable, my pc is close to main socket, to get best possible wiring

can router firmware update might help

Exchange:
      Thanks

Your profile says you have a Sagemcom but your post says a SR101? If you have the SR101 then this should be up to date. In any event, it is highly unlikely to be router firmware related.

Just to be sure, your router is connected to your PC by ethernet cable? Is there anything else connected e.g. other PCs, Sky boxes, laptops, games consoles etc? Is wireless on? Is it used by anyone and is it securely set up?

The most likely causes for your problem in rough order of probability are:
      • some other device in your home is using the bandwidth e.g. downloading (or could be malware)
      • a neighbour has wireless access to your router and is stealing bandwidth
      • your PC and/or its network card is not performing properly
        your PC has malware which is hammering your connection
        your PC has hardware/disk/memory problems
        your network card has is faulty or has a driver or configuration problem
      • your ethernet cable is faulty
      • your router is faulty
      • there's an as yet undiagnosed exchange/congestion problem

It is probably going to be something simple, just possibly hard to identify. The problem almost certainly lies somewhere between the router and your PC, not between your router and Sky.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

3 years ago you were getting 15Mb+, so something is effecting your connection. Plug into your Test socket and post your stats from there. Use only the ADSL cable and filter supplied by Sky.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Something tells me it won't just be down to a sub par connection though that may well be contributing.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      3 years ago you were getting 15Mb+, so something is effecting your connection. Plug into your Test socket and post your stats from there. Use only the ADSL cable and filter supplied by Sky.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket
      Got no test socket, simple basic 1 unexplainable internet problem-img_0544.jpg

going to upload video, how my cables run, tested connection with 2 different pc's plus iphone, also turned wifi off so no one can use my connection, maybe i should turn wifi off bit longer.
      and i got new hub i bought that 1 from ebay for testing.
      someone from sky also took my router mac address, dont know why it shows sagemcom.
      tested 2 different network cards, 1 integrated NIC another, Bigfoot KILLER 2100 Gigabit Network Card.
      3 years 12-15mb and 3 years bt customer and i also had 12-15mb
      and i always run same setup
      Last edited by sekoidd; 10-07-14 at 06:34 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saturday View Post
      Something tells me it won't just be down to a sub par connection though that may well be contributing.
      I fully agree, but it is possible excessive errors are pulling the speed down.

If you don't have an NTE5, unplug everything you have plugged into the phone circuit then plug the router into the master socket using only the ADSL cable and filter supplied by Sky. The stats can be taken by wireless if necessary. You are looking for a high increase in the noise margin, the speed will probably not increase.

This may prove little but it will show if the problem is with your internal set up or with the external supply. Apart from wiring faults, it is possible your card in the exchange is faulty

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      I fully agree, but it is possible excessive errors are pulling the speed down.
      Could be but I suspect a connection with error rates sufficient to only deliver 46KBps (<0.4Mbps) on a 11.5Mbps sync would be completely unusable with constant disconnects. Worth checking of course though. In the absence of further info I'm still favouring another LAN user/device (or possibly wifi hijacker), or malware hammering the connection as being most likely with an equipment/configuration fault next most likely.

@sekoidd - it may take a number of steps/checks before you find the cause of this throughput problem. The best thing to do is change one thing at a time e.g. turn off your wireless. Problem still there? then it's not a wireless hijack. Next connect only your PC. Problem still there? then it's not another device/user. Next do a thorough malware scan with malwarebytes. Problem still there? then it's (probably) not malware. And so on.

It doesn't matter which step you start with, maybe do as Isitme says first. Just don't change more than one thing at a time or you will never know what it was, which may be helpful to you and others in the future.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Saturday For This Useful Post:

sekoidd (11-07-14)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast