Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speed improved by 38%...

This is a discussion on Speed improved by 38%... within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I've been with Sky broadband since late 2006 however my Netgear DG834GT router eventually packed in April 2014. Sky wouldn't ...

bryan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leith
      Broadband ISP: PlusNet Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Technicolor TG582n Fibre Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD DRX890W
      Thanks

Speed improved by 38%...

I've been with Sky broadband since late 2006 however my Netgear DG834GT router eventually packed in April 2014. Sky wouldn't give me a free replacement so I managed to borrow a "Sky" Sagem router from a friend and got back online for a while until that also packed in June 2014.

So I decided to change to PlusNet Unlimited. After I'd ordered with PlusNet Sky came out with their free broadband offer for two years so I spoke to PlusNet and they offered me two years free broadband if I subscribed to BT Sport at 5.99 pcm which I agreed to.

The changeover happened on Friday 27th June and now I find the speed has improved by around 38% which is roughly what PlusNet predicted because they said they used better equipment in the exchange and the speed would be better than Sky. I was a bit sceptical about their claims but it seems they are true.

Plusnet also offered me replacement routers whenever I need them in future which sounds good to me. I've noticed their deals on Fibre broadband are better than Sky right now as well so if anyone is thinking of moving to PlusNet based on what I've recommended perhaps you could mention my username "bryanhenderson" as they give a small referral discount every month and that is another reason to switch to PlusNet as you too can get referral discount and perhaps get your broadband a bit cheaper or even free of charge with enough referrals.... :-)

Where I live is quite a long way from the exchange (two miles approx) so the slowness of the Sky connection has been a bit annoying and it is great to have the extra speed from PlusNet and I now have the option of Fibre broadband as BTO has just enabled the street/area I live in but I wanted to see what speed I'd get on unlimited before going for Fibre as I don't need 76Mbps and prefer to wait until the fibre comes down in price a bit more.

Fast, cheap, reliable Home Broadband and Phone Packages | Plusnet

With PlusNet the line rental is a lot cheaper if you pay for twelve months at a time although they don't refund this if you cancel before it expires.

2. Advertisement
      gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Re: Speed improved by 38%...

Quote Originally Posted by bryan
      the speed has improved by around 38% which is roughly what PlusNet predicted because they said they used better equipment in the exchange and the speed would be better than Sky.
      What package were you on with sky?
      'Connect' or unlimited?

Thanks

Unlimited, would it make a difference?

Thanks

another interesting aspect to this is that I've been away for the last week and when I arrived home today my Sky broadband router was still connected to the phone line and I had forgotten that I should now be with PlusNet so was surprised that the Sky broadband connection was still working and speedtested at the usual speed.

I then connected my PlusNet router to the phone line and it worked right away as well only it speedtested at 38% higher speed. I always thought you couldn't have two broadband services working on the same line.

I knew the line had changed as I've temporarily got a new phone number and I checked my Sky account online and it shows the broadband and line rental have been cancelled... you don't need a MAC code when going from Sky to PlusNet as they use different equipment in the exchange or something I was told..

I'm tempted to keep the new phone number as all the phone spammers won't have the new number for a few weeks/months hopefully...

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Quote Originally Posted by bryan View Post
      Unlimited, would it make a difference?
      Had you been on connect it may have made sense.

Sky offer connect in areas where they haven't installed their own equipment in the local phone exchange.
      It's a rebranded bt product & limited to 8128kbps downstream & 448kbps upstream, so if in moving to an unlimited product you got around 11200kbps downstream, that would be logical.

Plusnet don't install their own equipment in exchanges & use bt equipment instead.
      People switch between isp's all the time & broadly get the same speeds whoever they're with.
      I've never heard it said that bt's equipment is superior to sky's before.

There must be some other reason for the 38% increase.

Thanks

well at times in the past when the Sky speed was a bit faster around the level I'm now getting with PlusNet the connection kept dropping out but so far with PlusNet the connection seems very stable. Could it have anything to do with the fact that this exchange is now fibre enabled? Maybe some equipment has been upgraded that Sky don't have access to, all I know is I regularly do speed tests here over five years and Sky was always about the same speed around 3.53Mb and now I'm getting 4.88Mb which although not all that fast seems to be enough for my usage. I used to get around 6.00Mb where I lived previously which was much nearer the exchange so i'm pleased to be getting closer to that again.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

TBH i think getting to the bottom of why it's happened would involve looking at detailed router statistics from before & after, which isn't possible now.

Having said that, 3.53Mb to 4.88Mb is the kind of increase that many sky customers have experienced over the last 18 months or so.
      My line has gone from a sync speed of 20Mb to 22Mb.

This is due to upgrades made to their own equipment & so there's small chance they've not got round to you yet.
      Up to date router firmware also plays a part in this.

gymno Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

Actually, thinking a little further...

Some aspects of the improvements sky made to their exchange equipment relied on having one of their last 3 routers to take advantage of it.
      That's the sr102, sr101 & sagem 2504n.

So all the time you had the netgear, you probably weren't quite realising the lines full potential.
      If the sagem was the 2504n & had up to date firmware, i suspect that if DLM line training had been run you'd be somewhere around the 4.88Mb you have now.

stereohaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Asus RT-AC56U
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 2TB Box
      Thanks

I'm just surprised they wouldn't give you a replacement router, I've always found them to be reasonably fair on stuff like that, especially as you are not technically allowed to use anyone else's router.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stereohaven View Post
      you are not technically allowed to use anyone else's router.
      I believe the clause prohibiting the use of a 3rd party router to access Sky's ADSL service was removed a while back now. It is still a requirement for fibre which I suspect is to comply with BT's licensing agreement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast