Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Line attenuation..

This is a discussion on Line attenuation.. within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; For what reason would the attenuation increase.?? Swapped tp sky talk/ llu on monday, The attenuation previous to this was ...

ukgeoff is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Manchester East
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: netgear 834n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Line attenuation..

For what reason would the attenuation increase.??
      Swapped tp sky talk/llu on monday, The attenuation previous to this was 56.5 dl= 4.7mb up=.5 with snr of 6-6.5db
      now it reads.... atten = 59.5 dl= 5.08 mb up = .799 but with snr of 3db

thought the attenuation was governed by the length/quality of line. (I would think nothing has changed other than the connection at the exchange?.

I also am on DLM again.... even tho mysky says no line testing?. Is that info ever correct?

cheers
      Geoff.

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: Line attenuation..

The Line Attenuation reflects the line length and the type of line being used. Changing between ISPs can result in a change simply because you are connected to different kit in the exchange which can be further away from where your line enters the exchange.

Another factor is the router itself. Different routers calculate the Line Attenuation differently.

You My Sky page will take around 3 days to get updated.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Thanks

auto migration from bethere to sky on feb 20th ... skybox connected = attenuation 56.5db. swapped from bt phone to skytalk/llu on 10th march = attenuation 59.5. Seems a steep jump in attenuation ?

4days now on my sky..no change..
      Line testing is not currently in progress on your telephone line.

We continually look for ways to improve the quality of your broadband connection. Please check back here for updates.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

One thing that will cause your attenuation to jump up is if you were on G.DMT before and are now on ADSL2+. This usually causes an increase of 2-3db. With your long line it is quite likely you were on G.DMT(ADSL1) From past experience this performs better on longer lines and at one time Sky would quite happily set a line to G.DMT when ADSL2+ performed badly. Now with their new DLM system, I don't eben know if this is possible. One of the reasons for the jump in attenuation is that ADSL2+ using twice the frequency used by ADSL1 and ADSL2, making it prone to noise in the higher frequencies.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      One thing that will cause your attenuation to jump up is if you were on G.DMT before and are now on ADSL2+. This usually causes an increase of 2-3db. With your long line it is quite likely you were on G.DMT(ADSL1) From past experience this performs better on longer lines and at one time Sky would quite happily set a line to G.DMT when ADSL2+ performed badly. Now with their new DLM system, I don't eben know if this is possible. One of the reasons for the jump in attenuation is that ADSL2+ using twice the frequency used by ADSL1 and ADSL2, making it prone to noise in the higher frequencies.
      nope... sky said adsl2+ (the same i was on bethere)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ukgeoff View Post
      nope... sky said adsl2+ (the same i was on bethere)
      Are you sure you were on ADSL2+ previously? There seems to be quite a few BE/O2 users who were not on ADSL2+ and on transfer to Sky remained on the same line settings as before, until their router was reset to allow the Sky settings to take effect.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Are you sure you were on ADSL2+ previously? There seems to be quite a few BE/O2 users who were not on ADSL2+ and on transfer to Sky remained on the same line settings as before, until their router was reset to allow the Sky settings to take effect.
      YEP was told by bethere when signed up (previous was with pipex on adsl..... then to bethere on adsl2+.. but who knows tbo. (sky 1st contact seem to tell ppl anything...but if you escalate your problem.. 2nd support are knowledgeable.)
      its not a problem really... if i get anything around the 4.5 mark and a stable line (ping to game servers is better than BE)... that'll do... the only downloads I ever do is game updates..and i do them overnight.

going to put on a different router next week...so things will probably change again( draytek 260n plus/ v new..no firmware updates for it yet- apparently they do a 'long line firmware that boost your performance...but its so new..there isn't one for this model - yet!)