Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Extremely slow speed

This is a discussion on Extremely slow speed within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, My mother has recently switched from Tiscali to Sky broadband and has the unlimited 7.50 per month package. The ...

davescarlet1 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Extremely slow speed

Hi,

My mother has recently switched from Tiscali to Sky broadband and has the unlimited 7.50 per month package. The broadband went live on 10/09/2012 but the speed is very slow.
      The router stats are as follows:

ROUTER STATISTICS
      System Up Time: 0:04:09
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 268 315 0 180 697 0:03:24
      LAN Up 3017 2552 0 7641 1294 0:04:09
      WLAN Up 449 228 0 186 79 0:03:47

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 761 kbps 414 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53.0 dB 33.3 dB
      Noise Margin 6.3 dB 16.0 dB
      Top of Form

Poll Interval: (secs, at least 3s)
      These are the results from the master socket. I did this after taking advice from one of the FAQ threads.
      I phoned Sky a few days ago and they told me to wait for the initial 10 day period to finish and then if things hadn't improved then to call back.
      The router is plugged in to where the phoneline comes into the house and I've got teh filter in the recommended place.If it's any help, the telephone exchange is Llanelli.

Has anyone got any idea how I can improve the speed or is it just phone Sky?

Thanks for any help you can give us.

Dave

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: Extremely slow speed

When it is that low, the first thing to check is the telephone sockets.

Triple check that a Microfilter is the first thing plugged into all the telephone sockets and especially the telephone lead to the Sky STB is placed in the telephone port in one of the microfilters.

If this doesn't cure it, could you connect the router only to the Test Socket using a microfilter.

Sky User - How to test your Master Socket

When using the Test Socket, double check that all the other sockets are dead.

The initial connection speed should be a little higher, but you appear to have a very long line. Let us know if this helps or not.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Scubbie, I'll be at my mothers house tomorrow and I'll give it a try.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi Scubbie,
      I've been to my mothers house and checked that there are microfilters in all of the phone sockets.
      I've also tried plugging the router into the test socket via a microfilter and that didn't improve things.The statistics are below:

ROUTER STATISTICSSystem Up Time: 0:06:57
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN MER 22 156 0 18 18 0:00:59
      LAN Up 3513 2682 0 7941 1042 0:06:57
      WLAN Up 582 186 0 0 0 0:06:35
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 507 kbps 415 kbps
      Line Attenuation 53.0 dB 33.3 dB
      Noise Margin 5.9 dB 16.0 dB
      Poll Interval: (secs, at least 3s)

I think the phone line is long as it comes from the road to the side of the house next door and goes around the back of the house and eventually into the front.Is there any solution to the long line problem? From your experience if I phone Sky them will I get any luck? Surely they won't be stuck with this speed indefinitely?

Thanks for your help again.

Dave

Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

If the telephone line is taking such a long router then I would try to get BTO out to tidy it up and shorten the length some how.

Unfortunately you will need to go through Sky in order to get this done and convincing them to get someone out to resolve this issue will be difficult.

I would suggest that you first try going through Sky's support and see if you can get anywhere. Should this fail then my next option would be to speak to someone within the Executive support team. I would try to provide a simple but detailed map showing where the green street cabinet is and the path of the telephone cable.

Whilst some people have changed the telephone cable in some places where it should be BTO's responsibility, this might be asking a little to much for something which you could do. Technically any wiring between the Test socket and the Exchange is BTO's responsibility which is why I would go through Sky first.

When speaking with the first line of support at Sky they will insist on going through a standardised set of things for you to do. Please understand that this is a performance requirement and should it not be done they risk being disciplined. So please play along and help them through it. It will involve things such as power cycling the router, checking the test socket and so on.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

davescarlet1 (23-09-12)

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If these stats are from the Test socket, using only the ADSL cable supplied by Sky and all the other sockets in the house are dead, then you have a line fault. The fact that the line loops around the house is unlikely to make much difference. Try testing the line for noise by plugging a corded phone directly into the Test socket and dial 1 digit. The line should be clear with no snaps, crackles or pops. If there is noise report it to Sky Talk. If it is fixed it will go a long way to fixing the broadband.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I'm going to phone Sky when I go over there next. I have 3 children running around so don't get much time when I get there.I'll post what I find out from Sky probably at the end of the week.

I did try dialling 17070, a number which I found on a BT forum which tests the noise on the line. It said there was echo but not very much noise. It did say though that there could be a fault on the line.

Thanks to both Isitime & Scubbie for your efforts.