Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

2 problems about my broadband Wi-Fi signal and not in the master socket if use

This is a discussion on 2 problems about my broadband Wi-Fi signal and not in the master socket if use within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; 2 problems about my broadband Wi-Fi signal and not in the master socket if use master socket very good speed ...

Steele11 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Halfway
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Max
      Router: sky Q hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

2 problems about my broadband Wi-Fi signal and not in the master socket if use

2 problems about my broadband Wi-Fi signal and not in the master socket if use master socket very good speed

Looking for some help for my sky broadband the problem is the Wi-Fi signal , I call sky about it send me a N sky router the signal in the new router hasnít improved the signal all at down downstairs in the kitchen on the iPods the signal go up and down 1 bars so I put the old sky router d link in to the new router wow the old router was send out internet but time to time the I pad not load to the internet it go to a pink page so how can I fix , all I did was put the old one in I didnít do any adjustments I am dyslexic so it be cool if somebody could help me and my family has relies on the broadband in the home .sky tell me to put the router in to the master socket to fix the errors on the line but big problem is we got a Stannah Stairlift in the hall to help my mum get upstairs and no power socket and sky wonít send eg bt to move the master socket so we got the sky router off a extension we get a man ex bt engineer in to fit a extension in to my ADSL Broadband Line Filterbed room one sky box one cordless phone and the broadband box. From hall sky put a sky extension to the sky hd box in the living room the cable run out the through basement pull the cable me and dad pull the very small area as we was decorating the living room the floored was access to the living room was neat and tidy not no how to fix my problems sorry about the long story if used guys could help me I would be really appreciated it use my iPhone to talk this out dragon dictation app cool app if your dyslexic thanks again

2. Advertisement
      Scubbie is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: 02392
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub ER110
      Thanks
      Thanked 2,202 Times in 2,072 Posts

Re: 2 problems about my broadband Wi-Fi signal and not in the master socket if use

All homes are different and some routers can struggle when some materials are present.

Can I suggest that you read through the document in the thread linked below:

Extending your Home Network

It mentions things such as Extenders and HomePlugs. These may help to address you problem.

Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro: Connected at 80,000 kbps / 20,000 kbps
      Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB
      Speedtest: 17.15MB/s 0.97Mb/s Ping 31 ms

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Steele11 (15-04-12)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: 2 problems about my broadband Wi-Fi signal and not in the master socket if use

Scubbie thanks for helping me what the problem , reading your link to fix the problem

any mentions things such as Extenders and HomePlugs as it like a AirPort Extreme Base Station as i on macbook pro don't want to buy something doesn't support mac ps my home has solar panels pv not no if the HomePlugs support it the HomePlugs sound good but the home is very big looking for wi-fi in all the rooms and looking for the easy setup as no too good at setup up stuff

i was thinking that i should put the sky router as close as possible toput extension for power to the bt master socket so i'm thinking of picking- it's a corner shelf put the sky router on it in the hall and rum a cable and put the new device in my bed room if ther's anybody who could give me a easy to set up only devices on sky do don't to go down the rd pull the passwords and user name out of the sky router
      Last edited by Steele11; 15-04-12 at 03:19 PM.

Thanks

A quick note about Dyslexia: Whilst it can make it difficult to read things, there is no such thing as a stupid Dyslexic person. They all have either average or above average intelligence.

Ideally you should always connect the router to the Master Socket. If you can get power near to the socket, then placing the router on a wooden corner shelf would be a very good choice. Please make sure that the cabling for the socket is not vulnerable to tripping or damage from walking on.

However it appears that you home has a few issues with WiFi, so relocating it will improve your connection speed, but not it's coverage.

HomePlugs are compatible with any wired network device, not just PCs. The same is true for WiFi extenders, etc.

If would expect the Solar panels not to affect the HomePlugs, but please do contact the manufacturer to confirm this.

Take a look at the following items, they may be suitable for your needs:

Solwise 200mbps Homeplug AV PL-200AV-PIGGY mk2 (get the Twin pack)

Netgear WN2000RPT-100FRS Wrelessi-N Universal Adapter

The HomePlugs aren't the cheapest available, but they have a pass-through socket, important in your case as you are short of a power socket by the router.

The Netgear WN2000RPT would provide you a WiFi N connection. I can't confirm the connection speed, but I think it is 300mb/s.

By connecting the Netgear to a HomePlug you can place it almost anywhere within your home. Should anything not work correctly, you are legally allowed to return them under the Distance Selling regulations. I believe that you normally have 10 days to do this by.

Previous ADSL2+ Speed 19999 kbps 1153 kbps, Line Attenuation 17.5 db 6.9 db, Noise Margin 7.5 dB 8.7 dB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Steele11 (15-04-12)

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Scubbie

being saving up for it the links not working any more was the best site to buy it now if you if you guys know about it thanks again sorry for asking again i see one on amazon but the Item model number: WN2000RPT-100UKS was about the last number about
      Netgear WN2000RPT-100FRS Wrelessi-N Universal Adapter

Last edited by Steele11; 19-07-12 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks

I think you will find that the code 100UKS indicates that it was shipped for the UK Market and the 100FRS was shipped for the French Market.

If it is sold in the UK you must have a UK plug supplied, so there should be no issue.

I can't recall all of the different codes I have seen, but I think AUS is for Australia. The 100 indicates the version number (v1). From what I have seen on the Netgear forums 200 would indicate a v2.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scubbie For This Useful Post:

Steele11 (19-07-12)