Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Blown away by speed increase on Connect Package

This is a discussion on Blown away by speed increase on Connect Package within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Now I've got everything working, I am truly staggered by the increase in speed my new router is achieving. I ...

Restorer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Blown away by speed increase on Connect Package

Now I've got everything working, I am truly staggered by the increase in speed my new router is achieving.

I migrated from Pipex 1mb who right up until last month kept telling me my line would not support above 1mbps.

Speed tests were always below 900kbps for download. Now, during the day at least, I am recording download speeds of 2700-3200 - and I am only on the Connect package. I didn't think this would be possible but I've done many tests using the different sites.

2. Advertisement
      VRStu is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Great news.

I too migrated from Pipex after supporting them for 4 years. I was on the 1mb service and paying 24 for it!! I contacted them several times to ask them to either reduce my charge that of the current price plan or increase my line speed to match that of a new user paying 24 - all to no avail so they left me no option but to walk.

It's interesting to read poll in this forum where Pipex have suffered to second greatest number of migrations to Sky.

My speeds have been very variable this week but I am lead to believe that this is the exchange self adapting.
      Stu...

old mcdonal is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Restorer View Post
      Now I've got everything working, I am truly staggered by the increase in speed my new router is achieving.

I migrated from Pipex 1mb who right up until last month kept telling me my line would not support above 1mbps.

Speed tests were always below 900kbps for download. Now, during the day at least, I am recording download speeds of 2700-3200 - and I am only on the Connect package. I didn't think this would be possible but I've done many tests using the different sites.
      thats good - but try your line tonight after 5:30pm and pleasse report back what speed your getting then. Not sure if you have read other posts that at peak hours the speed drops dramatically and becomes so slow...but it would be good to know.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by old mcdonal View Post
      thats good - but try your line tonight after 5:30pm and pleasse report back what speed your getting then.
      Ok, I'll do that. I'm thinking these speeds really are too good to be true!

@VRStu I had no problems at all with Pipex during the 5 years or so I was with them. Like you I wouldn't have minded continuing with the 24 if they had been willing to up my speed instead of just fobbing me off while new customers got all the good deals. It does seem this was a deliberate policy and as a direct result they are now haemhorraging long term customers - mainly to Sky but also to other companies offering higher speed services. The girl who gave me the MAC code sounded very depressed.

Anyway, despite some teething troubles with the router I am now well pleased and will be even more so when Max happens and I am down 10 in a few months.
      Last edited by Restorer; 06-10-06 at 12:23 PM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Yup. guess I was getting too excited. Dropping almost before my eyes. Now (4.30pm) down to 1200-1500. Still much faster than Pipex but how much more will it drop? Watch this space ......

Exchange:
      Thanks

Right, it seems to have reached a consistent low tonight of around 800. That is plenty fast enough for browsing and almost as fast as Pipex ever got -in any case I've always tried to organise heavy downloading for offpeak times.
      So overall, well pleased. BTW I'm using for comparison the FTP download from the sticky monitored by Netlimiter. These speedtest websites seem totally inconsistent and flaky.