Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Awful speeds made worse!

This is a discussion on Awful speeds made worse! within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi, new user that's used the excellent forum for tips in the past, would very much appreciate anyone who could ...

Regent is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Awful speeds made worse!

Hi, new user that's used the excellent forum for tips in the past, would very much appreciate anyone who could take a second to read this and hopefully suggest some solution? :

Apologies for length, but I'd like to get the full story down!

About a week or so ago I recieved a letter from Sky explaining they are moving my BB package form Base to Everyday as my downloads had exceeded the cap on the Base package. Fair enough, I thought, I could do with the faster downloads speeds anyway.

On [B]Base [/B ]I was getting approx Downstream Connection speeds of 700-800kbps, on a 2mgb package, not great, but I could live with it.

I left it a couple of days and then took a look at my speeds using the router stats and saw absolutely no change in speeds. Now, I'm not sure if I definitely should see any changes, perhaps 800kbps is all my line could handle, but I thought I'd call Sky to see what that had to say.

I spoke to a lady who talked me through several things, master socket, filters etc etc. I have no master socket in the house that I'm aware of, I have three , sockets, none have the horizontal line, one socked does have a red rectangle with a line in the middle printed on the bottom right, is this an old master socket?? Anyway, she told me they were giving me 10mgb speeds and the only issue they could see why I wouldn't be getting better speeds was because I had a virus/malware/spybot etc, she got me to do the netstat in the dos box and I had approx 12 ips, she explained I should have less than ten and that I should scan for viruses.

I spent the night scanning and re scanning for every type of virus under the sun, I also cleaned my laptop of all needless programmes I'd acquired over the months. I did the netstat check again I noted only four ip's - I was still getting the same speeds, I'd call Sky tomorrow.

I woke up this morning and at around 11am I went to use the internet (to check my speeds) and noticed I had no BB. After rebooting the router and still no BB I went to call Sky, but no phonline either!!

I spoke to Sky via my mobile (they called me back) and explained the issue, poor speeds, now on 10mgbs, still poor speeds, told to scan for viruses and now no phone line at all. The bloke was very nice and talked me through a few things, have I tried another phone etc, then did a test on my line, he found a fault on the lone most likely some way from my house and would pass it on to an engineer, I got my reference number and was told it may take 72hours.

Three hours later there was a knock at the door, it was a telephone engineer here to check my line!

He checked the line in my house, asked if I had a master socket, I explained I didn't think so and he suggested that the age of the house my explain why I didn't have one??!?!

He carried out his tests and went off to the exchange to look there as he thought thats where the issue lay.

20mins later he was back, apparently the exchange box housing had recently been renewed to allow fibre cables to be housed?! During this my line had been dislodged and was loose, he reconnected and hey presto - I was back online.

He left, I checked the phone and BB - I checked my speeds thinking that this could have been the issue all along and guess what............even slower speeds!!!

I called Sky, explained EVERTHING to the lady and she did some test, she could see I was getting very slow speeds and did another test to see what I could get - over 4mgb she said, we went through a few more questions, filters, master sockets etc - she then 'esculated' my call.

Now the bizarre bit, I spoke to another lady who told me the speeds I'm getting are the best possible speeds I can get!! I explained I was getting better speeds Yesterday, she said that was impossible as the line was last test last year and the speed of that test is the speed I'm getting now!! She left me by saying she would retest the line but I shouldn't expect anything better than what I get now, these are my current stats :

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 287 kbps 602 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.0 db 37.9 db
      Noise Margin 11.7 db 1.4 db

I KNOW I was getting better Yesterday, not great but better?

So, has anyone got any advice, suggestions, anything at all?????

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Awful speeds made worse!

It's a bit worrying that the person you were escalated to, I assume CST (customer solutions team), left your line as it looks at the moment. Did anyone mention that you were on the 'sky voice and broadband network' at all, or 'SVBN'?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for the response.

Nope, nothing mentioned about 'SVBN' ?

I've just had a look at the wiring as it's never sat well with me, every time I look at the BT boxes I cringe! After some research, mainly on here I took to the old 'junction' box, removed all 'unnecessary' wiring and kept it simple -

Outdoor BT wire = Orange > 2. White > 5 in junction box.
      From that, Internal cable = Blue with White > 2 and White with Blue > 5 to another Junction Box where I have two cables, one = Orange > B and White > A and the other Orange > B and White > A, two different A and B's in the same junction.

All seems a bit 'wonky' to me, BUT it's a lot better than it was before.

I'm now getting better speeds :

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1017 kbps 604 kbps
      Line Attenuation 59.5 db 37.7 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 10.7 db

Good??

Should I go about getting a new master socket, I've discovered the current one is an old version - http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wi...skt_master.jpg

Would this improve my speed?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Current speeds :

Better tidy up and go to bed now.............

Cheers for any help at all

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

If it was me, Iwould fit a new NTE5 master socket with a filtered faceplate and remove the very first junction box and connect it directly to the main incoming BT cables.

This will give you the best connection you can get with your setup. You can then connect the other internal cable to the 5&2 terminals on the filtered faceplate to keep the rest of your internal wiring isolated from the ADSL signal.