Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New to Sky - how long should I be waiting for speed to increase from 4091?

This is a discussion on New to Sky - how long should I be waiting for speed to increase from 4091? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all I got my line switched over from Nildram to Sky yesterday afternoon. The router has been on and ...

Tano is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chesham
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New to Sky - how long should I be waiting for speed to increase from 4091?

Hi all

I got my line switched over from Nildram to Sky yesterday afternoon. The router has been on and connected for over 24hrs. Here's my stats as they stand:

Downstream Upstream
      Sync Rate: 4091 Kbps 510 Kbps
      Max Rate: 10228 Kbps 597 Kbps
      Attenuation: 39 dB 22 dB
      SNR Margin: 13 dB 21 dB
      ADSL Mode: ADSL_2plus
      Channel: INTERLEAVED
      Average Error Rate: 0.31 CRC Errors/hr

This hasn't changed since the router first connected. My old Nildram line used to sync up around 5.5 to 6.5 depending on how it was feeling. According to the checker I should expect to get 8-10 on the new service.

I'm not in any hurry to see if I get near to 10 but I'd quite like to at least get back to near where I was, as at the moment I've lost 1/3 of my download speed and I'm quite a heavy user.

Should I have had at least some sort of bump up or even a disconnection to see if it would sync at a higher speed or am I just being impatient? I looked on my Sky account page and it says that my line isn't being tested at the moment - does that bit only get filled in if they start using DLM after your initial 10 days?

Thanks a lot for any help,

Ollie

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: New to Sky - how long should I be waiting for speed to increase from 4091?

DLM can take 72hrs to start and 10 days or more to run.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

You would also be better using the Sky router, just in case you have problems and have to contact support. Your noise margin looks a bit low, for your present sync speed, but that could be down to using a different router.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I'm not using a different router? I'm using the DG934G that came from Sky.

Thanks for the tip on the 72hr thing though - I couldn't find that info in any posts I looked at.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

Tano
      Hi here is a bit of information on DLM also The tell signs of DLM is the 412/794* upload stream rates, your speed may vary throughout the day. Sky User - What Is DLM? Everything you need to know
      How Do I know If DLM Is Running On My Line
      What Is DLM? Everything you need to know.
      Should I have had at least some sort of bump up or even a disconnection to see if it would sync at a higher speed or am I just being impatient? I looked on my Sky account page and it says that my line isn't being tested at the moment - does that bit only get filled in if they start using DLM after your initial 10 days?
      When DLM starts running it will show on your account

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I'm not using a different router? I'm using the DG934G that came from Sky.
      Apologies, not many newcomers know how to obtain stats using the router tool.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

jameshorton2005 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 200mtr away
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Sky TV: 1tb upgrade
      Thanks

Smile Re: New to Sky - how long should I be waiting for speed to increase from 4091?

if you ring sky thay will do the dlm test over the phone i live in a sky network i had my sky activated today was geting 4mbs speed like you rang them up thay did the test now its up to 18 mbs just got to watch if your internet starts to play up ring them and thay will bring the speed down agane i live 100 mtrs from exchange so thats why the high speed and nobody will realy get 20 any way u got to live in the exchange for that 18mbs is about 1.9 mbs true download speed

Thanks

Sky CS are instructed not to stop the DLM process if it has not at least ran once. The person you spoke to could get into trouble if they didn't follow this rule.

Thanks

Little update. I'm now on day 8. The router resynced the day after my initial posts and has been connected ever since, hasn't resynced once. Here are my current stats:

Downstream Upstream
      Sync Rate: 6140 Kbps 796 Kbps
      Max Rate: 10064 Kbps 875 Kbps
      Attenuation: 39 dB 23 dB
      SNR Margin: 14 dB 15 dB
      ADSL Mode: ADSL_2plus
      Channel: INTERLEAVED
      Average Error Rate: 0.35 CRC Errors/hr

As you can see I'm not any better off than I was with my old ADSLmax connection, in fact it is slightly slower and the upload connection is a hundred or so Kbps below what it used to be on Nildram. Is this the best I can expect out of this Sky connection? How comes the speed testing doesn't seem to have kicked in?

To Isitme: I install networks and DSL lines for a living so I'm pretty up on how to configure routers!

Thanks

Well you have more speed to come as your noise margin is still quite high. You could give CST a call now and see what they say or waot a couple more days so they don't use the 10 days as an excuse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast