Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Yet another results post

This is a discussion on Yet another results post within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi all. Just wondering if I should be getting faster speeds on my Sky Everyday package. From the test socket, ...

jd87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Yet another results post

Hi all. Just wondering if I should be getting faster speeds on my Sky Everyday package.

From the test socket, connected to the router with an ethernet cable, I get the following:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 4095 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 48.5 db 32.1 db
      Noise Margin 9.0 db 11.0 db

The speedtest on this website gives about 3500mbps down and 500kbps up.

I used the detailed stats page linked to from somewhere else in the forums and it said I am on ADSL2 mode. Do I need to ring Sky and ask them to put me on normal ADSL (G.DMT?) or ask them to increase the speed, or am I getting the best I can from my line?

I know it doesn't mean much, but I'm about one mile from the exchange, in a densely residential area.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Yet another results post

You need to contect sky and ask them to change the mode to G.DMT, as your line does not seem to like ADSL2+ and with the change you should get a much better speed than you do now.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Andy. I've just spoken to the regular broadband support people on 08442410515 and the guy was very helpful but didn't seem to know much about the ADSL2+ vs G.DMT thing. He gave me a number to get the CST people, however he also said that my maximum linespeed is 4mbps anyway and they won't be able to do anything for me.

Is this right, or should I still call them and ask them if they can give me a boost?

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jd87 View Post
      Thanks Andy. I've just spoken to the regular broadband support people on 08442410515 and the guy was very helpful but didn't seem to know much about the ADSL2+ vs G.DMT thing. He gave me a number to get the CST people, however he also said that my maximum linespeed is 4mbps anyway and they won't be able to do anything for me.

Is this right, or should I still call them and ask them if they can give me a boost?
      Well you are definitely on adsltwo+. Albeit sky's line checker may suggest you can only handle 4096kb, but they're usually quite conservative or plain wrong. There are different line checks cst can use that usually throw out different values, but even disregarding that, you should see an increase when switched over to g.dmt.

Were you given a reference number? If so, you'll have to ring back to tier 1 and be asked to be put through to cst in that case. You're talking a couple of minutes on the phone (excluding wait times of course ).

Exchange:
      Thanks

No reference number, just another 08442 number. How exactly do I get past tier 1 and onto the CST people?

Exchange:
      Thanks

No reference number, just another 08442 number. How exactly do I get past tier 1 and onto the CST people?
      Err, unless I'm horribly misinformed as of recent (as I've been off on annual leave recently) there is no direct number through to CST. You need to contact tier 1 and then be passed through. I don't want to directly call the guy you were talking to a moron in case they've changed the procedure as of recent, but it seems you've been told some porkies.

Call up tier 1 on 08442410515 and then ask to be passed through to cst. If you've been through the whole process then there should be notes on your account. If not, then they'll want you in your test socket with a new microfilter with no extensions basically. Just let them go through the script and you'll be passed through eventually.

Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

To get through to CST fast, others on here have phoned got through to tier 1 and said that they want there max delays lowered even though they don't just to get passed them and it should work, then just ask CST to put you onto G.DMT but don't forget to make sure they have increased the speed once on G.DMT before putting the phone down.
      One other thing also make sure that they set the upstream speed correctly, it is correct now but after the change just check it is still the same.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well I finally got past tier one and onto CST. I explained that I think I should be on G.DMT instead of ADSL2+ and he ran a few tests. He made a few changes, and these are the stats I'm now getting:

Connection Speed 4921 kbps 565 kbps
      Noise Margin 5.8 db 10.5 db

Speed test on this site gives 4096kbps down and 450kbps up.

I'm happy with the extra half a meg. Not sure what he did though. He mentioned at one point that ADSL2+ was better for me, but then maybe he changed his mind. Can you guys tell from the new stats what he did and if everything is ok now?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well I finally got past tier one and onto CST. I explained that I think I should be on G.DMT instead of ADSL2+ and he ran a few tests. He made a few changes, and these are the stats I'm now getting:

Connection Speed 4921 kbps 565 kbps
      Noise Margin 5.8 db 10.5 db

Speed test on this site gives 4096kbps down and 450kbps up.

I'm happy with the extra half a meg. Not sure what he did though. He mentioned at one point that ADSL2+ was better for me, but then maybe he changed his mind. Can you guys tell from the new stats what he did and if everything is ok now?
      In my experience, I've seen some lines which are long perform optimally on adsltwo+ without any problems, but most are so much more stable and generally better on g.dmt if it's a noisy/long line.

It's hard to of course judge exactly the best option for your line over a forum but it looks like you're still on adsltwo+ and if anything it's going to be slower from the low SNR and errors possibly building. You're not even syncing at the 608 upload that you should be. I'd push to get moved to g.dmt and your line set at 5024/608.