Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New home, worse connection?

This is a discussion on New home, worse connection? within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi there, I moved homes about 2 months ago, and got my broadband reactivated about a week ago (had problems ...

rominho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New home, worse connection?

Hi there,

I moved homes about 2 months ago, and got my broadband reactivated about a week ago (had problems to get my BT line working).
      Before I moved out, my stats (on a wired connection) were something like this :

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 15323 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 14.0 db 8.4 db
      Noise Margin 15.1 db 13.0 db

I checked yesterday the router stats and it is now:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12284 kbps 966 kbps
      Line Attenuation 21.0 db 12.6 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 7.5 db

For the records, I moved to a place that is literally 5min walking from were I lived before which is also about 5 or 6min walk to the local exchange.

I am now connecting wireless but out of curiosity yesterday I wired up the broadband to see it would make any difference and it didn't.

I have run TCPOptimizer to tweak the wireless connection, and according to the online speed tests the connection did improve, but I saw no gains on download speed really.

As for wiring, it's all band new (it's a new building).

1. Could anybody out there explain the difference between the 2 stats?
      2. Is there anything I can do to improve?
      3. Could I be again in that 10 day test period? (download speed seems to be quite stable at 1.2mb for a few days now)

Thanks in advance for your help
      Last edited by rominho; 18-06-09 at 10:32 AM.

2. Advertisement
      penrhyn is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Long Eaton
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB Box
      Thanks

Re: New home, worse connection?

Are the stats from your test socket?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SSRAD
      Broadband ISP: NOWTV Fab Fibre
      Router: NOWTV Hub 2
      Sky TV: NowTV
      Thanks

the attenuation higher as you're further from the exchange (but not by a lot) and you're on DLM hence upstream being pretty much 1Mbps...

you should do better though, so as said check the test socket but ignore the old house stats as you were closer then...this is a new line on a different route to exchange...

just cause you're in a new build it could mean you've got cheap-ass wiring...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      the attenuation higher as you're further from the exchange (but not by a lot) and you're on DLM hence upstream being pretty much 1Mbps...

you should do better though, so as said check the test socket but ignore the old house stats as you were closer then...this is a new line on a different route to exchange...

just cause you're in a new build it could mean you've got cheap-ass wiring...
      I have to say the diferece is not huge though, before my max download speed was about 1.5Mbs and now it is about 1.2Mbs.

Could you elaborate a bit more on "you're on DLM hence upstream being pretty much 1Mbps" ????

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penrhyn View Post
      Are the stats from your test socket?
      No ... didn't do it from the test socket ... will do that when I get home.

Thanks

All new connections go thorugh DLM (Dynamic Line Management) during the first 10 or so days...during this period, the line will start at 4Mbps down/512kbps up (on Max) and then get higher if it thinks the line can handle it...

Now, the old Max profile was 16Mbps down/768kbps up but the new profile is about to go live (20Mbps down/1.3Mbps up) but DLM is already using these profiles and is setting lines higher already - hence your upstream being near on 1Mbps...

You should've received your welcome letter and there's a paragraph saying your line will go through testing and to not turn it off...you can also check the progress in MySky - log in and click on 'Service Details' under the Broadband section down the left hand side...

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      All new connections go thorugh DLM (Dynamic Line Management) during the first 10 or so days...during this period, the line will start at 4Mbps down/512kbps up (on Max) and then get higher if it thinks the line can handle it...

Now, the old Max profile was 16Mbps down/768kbps up but the new profile is about to go live (20Mbps down/1.3Mbps up) but DLM is already using these profiles and is setting lines higher already - hence your upstream being near on 1Mbps...

You should've received your welcome letter and there's a paragraph saying your line will go through testing and to not turn it off...you can also check the progress in MySky - log in and click on 'Service Details' under the Broadband section down the left hand side...

Thanks for the explanation.

I just can't understand why my upload capacity can go up but my download capacity cannot.

Thanks

look at the attenuations...

your old place had one of 14db and your new place has one of 21 - that's quite an increase in line length...

also, you'll notice your noise margin was at 15 in your old place, indicating you've got quite a bit more speed available to you, whereas your new place is pretty much on the Sky default of 6.9, indicating you're pretty much at the limit this line'll give you...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

If you have extensions you may find you get a significant improvement in the Test socket. With your attenuation you should get 16+Mb.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you have extensions you may find you get a significant improvement in the Test socket. With your attenuation you should get 16+Mb.
      There are 3 extensions around the flat but the wires were not conected in the main BT socket until yesterday really so I don't think that made any difference (only one extension is connected to a telephone anyway and it has the filter thingy)

So with my attenuation you yhink I should get 16+Mb ... well, I would tend to think so ... as I said I leave about 6 min walk from the local exchange (you can't get much closer than this!!!).

However our friend "IAmNotTheEnemy" says
      you're pretty much at the limit this line'll give you...
      So I am still not sure if I can get a more popwerful connection or not, espacially now that the MAX package is going up to 20Mb.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast