Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Advertisement

Moving BT Master Socket, little bt of help please

This is a discussion on Moving BT Master Socket, little bt of help please within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; Hi After reading through these (and many many many other) forums I was of the impression that BT throw a ...

benjimouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Langley Mill
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Moving BT Master Socket, little bt of help please

Hi

After reading through these (and many many many other) forums I was of the impression that BT throw a bit of a hissy fit if you move the master socket, so I decided to contact Sky Talk and ask them to arrange an engineer visit for me. After being bounced between three different departments I finally spoke to a guy called Greg. I explain that I was redecorating and needed to move the master socket, to which his response was "You'd be better off getting a local phone engineer to do it rather that us arranging an BT/Openreach engineer, it'll be cheaper and done quicker for you".

I pointed out that I was of the impression that this was illegal and he said "No".

So i've been on ebay and bought a "Master Socket ADSL Micro Filter" all in one replacement but the bloody thing has no wiring diagram. Although this is the help i've managed to find for it Pluscom Forum: Safecom Splitter box

My house has an old 4 connecter "box" situated above the front door which has the drop cable going in to one end, then has a feed coming out of it to the NTE5 located towards the back of the house. The drop cable only uses 2 cables, Grey (to the top terminal) and Orange (to the bottom one). There are 3 cables connected from the NTE5 and these are Brown (top), Green (next one down), nothing (next one down) and blue (Bottom).

The new master socket has screw terminals A, G and B, and Crimp/Krohn connector terminals 2, 3, 5.

My questions are
      1. Am i safe to move the master socket?
      2. Can I end up being electrocuted? I'm competent enough to rewire plugs and RJ45 cables, etc, but generally when I do them there is no current/voltage going through them, so some form of reassurance that i won't fry here would be nice
      3. Which outgoing terminals should i connect to the new socket?

Thanks so much in advance

Benji

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Moving BT Master Socket, little bt of help please

It is against the T&C's of the contract you have with BT for you or anyone other than a BT employee to move the master socket. Having said that you stand little chance fo electrocution. Where do you wish to move the master to?

Thanks

Currently its about 10 meters from the "junction box". The cable from the box to the NTE5 is stuck to my current skirting boards by about 10 layers of gloss paint (not by me i might add). The skirting boards are all being removed friday morning and due to the location of my router and phone equipment it seems sensible to simply put the new filtered master socket about 3 meters (cable distance) from the junction box, just above the new skirting boards.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

I think I may be missing something here, but why dont you move your exsisting master to wherever you want it and connect it to the juction box with a new length of cable, you could then fit a filter faceplate to connect up any extension sockets you may have.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      I think I may be missing something here, but why dont you move your exsisting master to wherever you want it and connect it to the juction box with a new length of cable, you could then fit a filter faceplate to connect up any extension sockets you may have.
      Thats mostly my question Brian69, I want to know if i'm able to move the master socket first and foremost.

Granted i'm actually going to replace it with a new one (with a filter faceplate built in and not an NTE5) but my main questions are really "Am in any danger of electrocution" and "will BT/Openreach/Sky" go mental at me for moving/changing it.

Thanx in advance

Thanks

Well if they ever see anything other than a NTE-5 type master socket, they would not be happy at all. You can do the job yourself but do not use anything other than your exsisting master socket. You are under no risk of electrocution, the line voltage is around 50V dc and when the line is ringing around 100V ac.
      However it is not up to me to tell you what to do, just to point out the pitfalls, so if you want to use your new socket then the incomming line from the junction would connect to A and B (G sounds like ground or earth so leave it disconnected) and 5,2,3 connects to 5,2,3 of your extension sockets.
      Last edited by Brian69; 07-01-09 at 06:04 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for confirming and helping with my questions. I've successfully removed the BT cable from the junciton box to the NTE5 and cabled up the new ADSL & Phone socket that i bought off ebay. I understand the points you have made and will probably buy a new proper NTE5 and the relevant ADSL faceplate before I finish the renovations. I'm sure BT will still go nuts thats the master socket is no longer in the dining room, but at least with it being one of their sockets they'll be less mad, hopefully

Thanx again

Thanks

I would not worry about the move, BT will have no idea where your socket was in the first place (they do not keep records in that sort of detail, but they would know if they had ever fitted a nte-5) Most Openreach techs dont get upset about non BT net-5 masters, but any other sort of non-standard master will rase eyebrows.

snooper6 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Crowthorne
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Thanks

When I used to install phone lines for B.T I used to enjoy removing Brass fronted(or whatever they put in their houses)that wasnt a master socket.It was Ive paid for it Im going to have it,no matter what I told them that it wont ring the phone.They nearly always were a 2/2a.The ammount of faults I used to go back to when they removed the master and re-instated the brass socket was unreal.Always the same fault....doesnt ring.