Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Confused about speedtest results...

This is a discussion on Confused about speedtest results... within the Speed tests and how to get better results forums, part of the Sky Broadband help and support category; I just tried a wired test using NamesCos server and got these results: Down - 6468 Kbps Up - 337 ...

DannyE is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Wellingborough
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Confused about speedtest results...

I just tried a wired test using NamesCos server and got these results:

Down - 6468 Kbps
      Up - 337 Kbps

and then for curiosities sake, i did the same test over wireless, sitting about 3 ft from the router:

Down - 5342 Kbps
      Up - 341 Kbps

Seeing as the wireless speed is far quicker than the BB speed why does the wireless affect it at all?

Hmm I'm now wishing I could put the router somewhere so I can use wired connections more easily to eke out that little extra download speed

Many thanks

Dan

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,616 Posts

I think the high noise margin is nothing more than the fact that your line can handle far more speed than it is getting. If you were on Max you would get 16 MB with no problem. DLM is capping your speed at the moment but should find your line is OK and give you the maximum when it completes it's training. If it does not, phone Sky and they will manually configure your line.

If you are not running Vista, you might want to optimise your connection by running TCPOptimiser or DrTCP, link below. This will ensure you get the full benefit from your connection.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

IanMax is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Peartree
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

IsItMe is correct the high noise margin means basically you have a really good line with an 18 attenuation you would easily get the full 16 meg so on mid you will get as near to 8meg as possible after the dlm is finished. Basically the noise margin is that strong 26db that your phoneline is of really good quality.

A wireless signal is different and it may be worth running TCP optimizer on your wireless pc as this may increase the throughput wireless.

I get 15mbs whether wired or wireless on the skymax package so you should be able to reach 8mbs on your wireless too, unless there is a problem with the wireless adapter you have, but in my experience as long as the signal strength is good to excellent then theres not much you can do to improve it other than like i said above, ( try a program called TCP optimizer ) <--- Like Isitme suggested.

Regards

Ian
      Last edited by IanMax; 23-11-08 at 05:48 PM. Reason: IsItMe is too clever
      Bt phone socket and wiring help > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabling-faceplate-help/

Router stats and help on understanding them > http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/router-stats/

Thanks

Hi,

I think I got the wrong end of the stick over noise levels... I was under the impression that the higher the noise level, the higher chance of errors and then a bigger requirement for error correction and hence a lower connection speed... Or something like that... But it is actually the opposite of that?

I didn't get to check my connection yesterday but I'll try it again tonight and see how it fares.

Just a side question, why is Upstream always so much slower than Down? I am thinking of taking the option of working from home when my company starts offering it towards the end of this year, but uploads of approx 40Kbytes/sec won't be quick enough for acceptable VPN work (especially when some of the files I work with a upwards of 100Mb in size (no not media files... db backups n such)).

Anyway thanks to all the people that have replied, I'm less confused now

Thanks,

Dan

Thanks

Just a side question, why is Upstream always so much slower than Down
      That is the nature of ADSL (Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line) This suits most purposes as upstream requests for data are normally quite small, compared to the data returned. There is another mode called Symmetrical DSL which gives an equal speed up and down. This is used mainly for business and is very expensive compared to ADSL, such as - SDSL Broadband If you require extra upload speed then you would have to get Max, which gives 700-800kbps.

I should point out though, that Sky broadband is a domestic service not meant for business use. If you intend to earn your living with it, you would be better getting a business class connection, with guarantees on reliability.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Its not a real serious scenario... I got approval to work from home a couple of days a week ages ago, but there always seem to be reasons to keep me office bound...

If (BIG if), I did start working from home I'm sure I could get terminal services in which case the Upstream doesn't really matter as its only logging keystrokes...

Regrads,

Dan

Thanks

Talking Re: Confused about speedtest results...

WOW that TCP Optimizer certainly does what it says on the tin!! I ran a wireless test to the NamesCo server before hand and got about 4800kbps down stream... ran TCP O and then let it apply its optimum settings, rebooted and then went back to NamesCo and got a great result of 6704kbps!!

As far as I noticed TCP O updated the MTU and TTL figures and nothing else... Even the Tiscali test server is up to 4420...

So a big thank-you to every one who has helped me... For the moment at least I am a very happy Sky customer

Many thanks,

Dan
      Last edited by DannyE; 27-11-08 at 11:14 PM.

Thanks

WOW that TCP Optimizer certainly does what it says on the tin!!
      It is surprising that there are a few who do not believe this, even on this forum. The fact is that XP, unlike Vista, is optimised for Dial-up, not for broadband. A few minutes spent doing this properly can have an amazing effect.

TomD

Useful Utilites

vmcodes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0044 01422322345
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Unhappy Re: Confused about speedtest results...

Hi,

I got my broadband (max) a couple of days back, and was happy initially when I got 14000+ kbps ...

Today evening, I noticed that my connection has dropped to 7611 kbps. I tried reconnecting it a couple of times, but it doesn't seem to improve at all.

I cant understand what went wrong in 2 days. I didn't change anything ! It just dropped by around 50 %.

Can some one explain what might have caused this ? and how I can get things back up again.

I have sent Sky a message, and waiting to hear from them too.

Thanks,

Vinay

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Thanks

Post your stats from the test socket. Also could be DLM as your a new customer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast